Longevity of the rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
It depends mostly how much you play. I've often heard that the lifespan is 80h to 160h

Some says that you need to change as much time a year as you play per week. Like if you play twice a week, change twice a year ; if you play three time a week, change three time during the year. But it also depend how much sensible you are to usure, some people don't care too much to lose some efficacy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Com'on guys, I mean if the bat is not used at all. The thing is I have two brand new bats with brand new rubbers. One blade and the rubbers on it are way too fast for me at my current level, so I plan to use it maybe in a year or later. The question was - if I keep the blade with glued on rubbers covered with protective foil and hidden from sunlight, heat, cold, dust, etc. will the rubbers loose their playing properties in about a year or 1.5 years?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Ah ok :) I think if the bat is in a closed bag then it may stay unaltered a long time like a year. A few months ago i played a rakza 7 that was 1 or 2 years old and kept inside a case and it was playing pretty similarly but i bit harder i felt. The only problem was that i was sometimes a bit bothered that I might not get the correct feeling due to the oldness and it's a bit a problem when you need to feel very confident about your setup for matches etc

So it'll be still mainly OK (90 / 95%) but maybe best to buy another one nevertheless if you can

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If the rubbers are in a vacuum sealed container, they should stay good for a long time. If oxygen can get at the rubber from any angle, the oxygen breaks down the rubber molecules over time.

After 2 years there will be a moderately small, but noticeable difference. The main differences will be that the sponge and topsheet lose some elasticity and grip. They will still be playable though.

After 4 years, it will be more noticeable but still playable. After 10 years, the rubbers won't play well.

The reason Yogi said you would notice a difference for ESN rubbers within 4 weeks is: most ESN rubbers have a factory tuner added which wears off in about 4 weeks. It evaporates and wears off whether you play the rubbers or not. But if you are used to those rubbers after the factory tuning is gone, they after that, they will deteriorate kind of how I said.

And, in a vacuum sealed package, free from oxygen, they should stay how they are as long as the vacuum seal keeps the oxygen out. That also should keep the tuning from evaporating.

But can any of us get our hands on a true vacuum sealed packaging that we can place something in and remove all the oxygen? Not that I know of. :)

So the info is more for the fact that, what causes rubber molecules to deteriorate over the long term, if you are not using the rubbers, is OXYGEN.

Think of a rubberband sitting on your shelf. If it is 5-10 years old and you try to use it, it will be more brittle and tear instead of stretching.

The quality of rubber in TT rubbers is much higher. But over time, that will slowly happen to the rubber in your TT rubbers as well.

Still, I have some Sriver rubbers from 1991. They feel terrible. They don't grip the ball. They feel like AntiSpin to me. But to a beginner, the beginner might not know the difference. It would feel like a recreational racket's rubbers.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Using now - Donic New Impuls 6.5 with Xiom Intro on both sides. Too fast - Violin with Xiom Vega Europe and Asia, even faster - Stiga Carbonado 90, also with Xiom Vegas. I was bitten hardly by the EJ virus :(

Oh.
And Celero Wood also, right?

In your place, I would sell these rubbers instead of keeping them for (maybe) using years later. You don’t know how your game will develop, or what kind of rubbers you will like. And also, you will have plenty of time to try out other people stuff to decide for yourself what would fit you better.

Same for the blades.

It is also cheaper to EJ with other people equipment :)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Yep, you're absolutely right, I do have a Celero Wood as well :( And about selling - it seems that there's no chance to sell anything even for a bit more than half price. I have like 4 basically new blades to sell (Violin, Celero Wood, Canter FO OFF, Carbonado 90) and some unpacked XIOM rubbers, but nobody's interested :(

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep, you're absolutely right, I do have a Celero Wood as well :( And about selling - it seems that there's no chance to sell anything even for a bit more than half price. I have like 4 basically new blades to sell (Violin, Celero Wood, Canter FO OFF, Carbonado 90) and some unpacked XIOM rubbers, but nobody's interested :(

It is wise to try before you buy. :) Try as many setups as you can when you play at the club. Ask people if you can take a few hits and see how their setup feels. Don't buy anything else till you try at least 30 setups from different club mates. By then, hopefully you will have sold at least one of your setups that was not good for you.

You might also try posting on the MyTT forum. http://mytabletennis.net/forum/

They have a fairly robust for sale section.

Reactions: doppelganger_LT