Darko Jorgic - best backhand ever?

You mean you saw this match and concluded that without hesitation? Seriously?

https://youtu.be/RsXWlWcS1i4

I think you are free to post a more spectacular match from anyone you think has a better backhand than Jorgic since to you it is obvious that the other guys have better backhands.

I can do such thing but still does not answer the question on why you thought i only based this on 1 video or match alone?? I can agree that Kara might be a lesser player than Jorgic but Kreanga?? If we base it on Kreanga's matches and the bh winners that he had, i do not think Jogic is already on that level. Maybe in the future but not now in my opinion.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
In terms of single-shot quality, Jorgic is definitely up there. Despite the extreme orientation of his game, his short game is actually decent, unlike Kreanga and Ovtcharov. You can tell he's not just brute force from his touch on the short FH. Right now, he has the same problem as with Harimoto - footwork. Because of his style, he doesn't really turn to use the FH much and that limits his options if the BH gets sealed off. So, if he doesn't read the game right, he'd get punished hard.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Jorgic is an extremely bh oriented player, that doesn't make his bh the best in the world. It's powerful but very inconsistent. His fh is ok, and his footwork is below par. Put these pieces together and you understand why he plays the way he does.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Jorgic is an extremely bh oriented player, that doesn't make his bh the best in the world. It's powerful but very inconsistent. His fh is ok, and his footwork is below par. Put these pieces together and you understand why he plays the way he does.

I am with you. I agree his backhand is a blast in all senses of the word, but I don't see the logic in saying the fact he uses it where most people would go FH makes it the best in the world. It only says he is more confident with it than with his forehand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I am with you. I agree his backhand is a blast in all senses of the word, but I don't see the logic in saying the fact he uses it where most people would go FH makes it the best in the world. It only says he is more confident with it than with his forehand.

LOL. The fact that you can have more confidence against chop using your backhand than you do using your forehand speaks for itself. The other tact is that he wins the match playing that way against a chopper that most players would struggle to beat.

Having the best backhand in the world is more of an opinion thing, usually backhand play is just part of your overall game and many of the players with amazing backhands are hiding flaws. But usually the backhand is limited to doing certain things. It is always amazing to see a player use it in a way that most players never would and do it successfully over and over.

Jorgic's backhand has already established itself as legendary. That is my point. Whatever your specific opinion is great for you but he did something in that match that I didn't think I would see at the world class level. And the more I read people not giving him credit for it, the more I realize that people don't realize how difficult what he is doing is. It is not as if he has a bad forehand either or he can't play the chopper with his forehand. The matches with Ma Te and Filus don't have quite the same flavor. Of course the backhand he plays requires time to load up and is more of a 3rd ball and away from the table weapon but when we talk about the great backhands, he must surely be in the conversation.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Liang Jingkun is considered by chinese players the most strong BH, also I believe is more consistent than Jorgic but I likes Jorgic BH.
Yes. It goes back to what you consider a good backhand. It is a matter of opinion. But I think we need to give Jorigic some credit for what he does. Even the CNT gave Dima credit when Dima was obviously an imbalanced but extremely hard working player.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
LOL. The fact that you can have more confidence against chop using your backhand than you do using your forehand speaks for itself. The other tact is that he wins the match playing that way against a chopper that most players would struggle to beat.

Having the best backhand in the world is more of an opinion thing, usually backhand play is just part of your overall game and many of the players with amazing backhands are hiding flaws. But usually the backhand is limited to doing certain things. It is always amazing to see a player use it in a way that most players never would and do it successfully over and over.

Jorgic's backhand has already established itself as legendary. That is my point. Whatever your specific opinion is great for you but he did something in that match that I didn't think I would see at the world class level. And the more I read people not giving him credit for it, the more I realize that people don't realize how difficult what he is doing is. It is not as if he has a bad forehand either or he can't play the chopper with his forehand. The matches with Ma Te and Filus don't have quite the same flavor. Of course the backhand he plays requires time to load up and is more of a 3rd ball and away from the table weapon but when we talk about the great backhands, he must surely be in the conversation.

I do give him credit. A lot. I can also see how body mechanics could favour backhand whacks for some people whereas the forehand may be slightly more spin oriented, and not as decisive against choppers on high balls. I have been there myself at times, and I am not contending for legendary status... It is all subjective, as you say. For me, best in the world would entice perhaps more variation and, as people said, consistency - looking at the whole panel of strokes and opposition - than I have seen so far. If we were to pitch Jorgic against, say, FZD while removing both of their forehand rubbers (absurd as that may sound), I am not sure he would stand a chance and FZD doesn't have his own dedicated BH thread here. Against Wang Yang, he had all the time in the world. In terms of absolute best points of the day (when he is in position and the ball doesn't fly a mile off), any given day, maybe... Again, I am not saying his backhand is not exceptional, I would just hold off for a bit before reaching for superlatives.

Reactions: lVegita
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Wang Yang was a suiting opposition for Jorgic as well, he hardly attacked Jorgic or exposed his average fh and poor footwork. It's easy to shine when the opponent lets you.
Yeah. Which is why Jorgic beat Ma Te and Gauzy lost to Wang Yang. I know you don't like backhand unbalanced players but at least understand that if what he was doing was so easy, everyone would do it for fun

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Funny descriptions for Jorgic's matches against Wang Yang and Pucar.

不喜欢正手,就喜欢反手打削球之———反手小怪兽,来自斯洛文尼亚的Darko Jorgic(约奇克)
上一个这么抡削球的,还是当年打败过刘国梁的,卡拉卡萨维奇。
是真的猛,一颗欧洲之星,正在升起。
Instead of FH, he prefers to play choppers with BH — BH little monster, Darko Jorgic from Slovenia.
The previous one to rip chops like that was the one who defeated Liu Guoliang back then, Karakasevic.
Really fierce. A European star is rising.

反手小怪兽———来自斯洛文尼亚的Darko Jorgic(约奇克),堪称卡拉卡萨维奇和格林卡以后的欧洲最强反手。
反手敢甩,而且能上,全台侧身用反手,猛如虎,欧洲新星,未来可期。
喜欢反手的不可错过,这个就是当代的格林卡。

俩人一个正手好、一个反手爆,球路都比较糙,但是胜在一个“猛”字。请欣赏当代最暴力的几个反手之一。
BH little monster - Darko Jorgic from Slovenia, arguably strongest BH in Europe after Karakasevic and Kreanga.
Dare to rip BH, and land. Running around the FH to use BH, fierce as a tiger, a promising rising star from Europe.
BH lovers can't miss. This is the contemporary Kreanga.

One with good FH, and one with explosive BH, both have coarse games, but make up with "ferocity".

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think some of you may be arguing past each other.

The OP (MJB999) did say best ever. But I don't think NL is saying that. I think Baal's comment may sum things up well:

I've never seen anything like it, that's for sure. I need to see him a bit more though.

So, the people saying, "the backhand is exceptional but probably not the best ever," and the people saying, "someone whose backhand is so good that he can play a high level chopper using his backhand as such a primary weapon is exceptional," are not necessarily disagreeing.

Leaving things like best ever out, can you guys agree that Darko Jorgic does some pretty amazing things with his backhand. To me it is pretty amazing to see him end points with the BH vs Chop in that way. I would take his BH if I could. :)

There is a reason why most people at that level won't use the BH vs Chop. The strike zone is so much smaller than the FH strike zone; there is very little room for error. You have to be in very precise position for those shots to work. And, he seems darn good at doing it. So, I would say that is pretty amazing.

Best ever? Usually, I think statements like best ever are for getting people to argue. I am not really sure there is a best ever in anything. Or there are many best evers and then people argue that there best ever is better than someone else's best ever. :) Good for clickbait. But not for honest discussions.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Funny descriptions for Jorgic's matches against Wang Yang and Pucar.

Instead of FH, he prefers to play choppers with BH — BH little monster, Darko Jorgic from Slovenia.
The previous one to rip chops like that was the one who defeated Liu Guoliang back then, Karakasevic.
Really fierce. A European star is rising.

BH little monster - Darko Jorgic from Slovenia, arguably strongest BH in Europe after Karakasevic and Kreanga.
Dare to rip BH, and land. Running around the FH to use BH, fierce as a tiger, a promising rising star from Europe.
BH lovers can't miss. This is the contemporary Kreanga.

One with good FH, and one with explosive BH, both have coarse games, but make up with "ferocity".

These are great. Thanks for the translation. That definitely made me laugh. But the commentary sounds pretty darn honest.

Reactions: NextLevel and zeio
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I do give him credit. A lot. I can also see how body mechanics could favour backhand whacks for some people whereas the forehand may be slightly more spin oriented, and not as decisive against choppers on high balls. I have been there myself at times, and I am not contending for legendary status... It is all subjective, as you say. For me, best in the world would entice perhaps more variation and, as people said, consistency - looking at the whole panel of strokes and opposition - than I have seen so far. If we were to pitch Jorgic against, say, FZD while removing both of their forehand rubbers (absurd as that may sound), I am not sure he would stand a chance and FZD doesn't have his own dedicated BH thread here. Against Wang Yang, he had all the time in the world. In terms of absolute best points of the day (when he is in position and the ball doesn't fly a mile off), any given day, maybe... Again, I am not saying his backhand is not exceptional, I would just hold off for a bit before reaching for superlatives.

When most people speak about best backhand, if we are honest, we are mostly about the spectacular backhand loop. Usually the best backhands nowadays in terms of overall backhand play are just the backhands of the best players and maybe today, there is no real benefit in having a backhand like Jorgic because the focus is on fast backhand play to introduce forehand or control the opponent. The backhands of Karaksevic or Kreanga that people ooh and aah at are just like Jorgic. Same with Dima or Calderano.

Obviously one could make an argument that the overall backhand play of someone like Harimoto is better. Or even there is a need for a footwork transition into an active forehand that makes such big backhands antiques in most situations. In fact, Boll and Ma Long could get lots of credit for their backhand play but no one would argue that they have the best backhands in the world because we usually focus on the spectacular not on how it fits one game.

But what I don't understand is why people who are listing Kreanga are denying Jorgic and calling him inconsistent. It is the same kind of thing, just more powerful. The kid is fun to watch and for me it is cool to see certain European traditions maintained even if they are antiquated.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I still think it's too inconsistent to even be considered top 5 in the world. Against Wang he missed many shots. Sure it looks spectacular when he rips those bh, but he also looks stupid when he runs over to the fh side to rip a bh and it misses. Against a top player like Boll with all his experience and cleverness Jorgic doesn't look so good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
This I agree with.

When most people speak about best backhand, if we are honest, we are mostly about the spectacular backhand loop. Usually the best backhands nowadays in terms of overall backhand play are just the backhands of the best players and maybe today, there is no real benefit in having a backhand like Jorgic because the focus is on fast backhand play to introduce forehand or control the opponent. The backhands of Karaksevic or Kreanga that people ooh and aah at are just like Jorgic. Same with Dima or Calderano.

Obviously one could make an argument that the overall backhand play of someone like Harimoto is better. Or even there is a need for a footwork transition into an active forehand that makes such big backhands antiques in most situations. In fact, Boll and Ma Long could get lots of credit for their backhand play but no one would argue that they have the best backhands in the world because we usually focus on the spectacular not on how it fits one game.

But what I don't understand is why people who are listing Kreanga are denying Jorgic and calling him inconsistent. It is the same kind of thing, just more powerful. The kid is fun to watch and for me it is cool to see certain European traditions maintained even if they are antiquated.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think some of you may be arguing past each other.

The OP (MJB999) did say best ever. But I don't think NL is saying that. I think Baal's comment may sum things up well:

So, the people saying, "the backhand is exceptional but probably not the best ever," and the people saying, "someone whose backhand is so good that he can play a high level chopper using his backhand as such a primary weapon is exceptional," are not necessarily disagreeing.

Leaving things like best ever out, can you guys agree that Darko Jorgic does some pretty amazing things with his backhand. To me it is pretty amazing to see him end points with the BH vs Chop in that way. I would take his BH if I could. :)

There is a reason why most people at that level won't use the BH vs Chop. The strike zone is so much smaller than the FH strike zone; there is very little room for error. You have to be in very precise position for those shots to work. And, he seems darn good at doing it. So, I would say that is pretty amazing.

Best ever? Usually, I think statements like best ever are for getting people to argue. I am not really sure there is a best ever in anything. Or there are many best evers and then people argue that there best ever is better than someone else's best ever. :) Good for clickbait. But not for honest discussions.

Yeah, you summed it up well. But I still think there is something inconsistent about praising Karaksevic or Kreanga then putting down Jorgic.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl