Just tried the Hugo Calderano blade from Xiom, it feels pretty unique.

Ever after Xiom signed Hugo, I was wondering what blade he will use.
It is pretty certain that Xiom will made a named blade for him, But I am just wondering what composite would it be.

Today I got the answer. My coach Sherwin got the Hugo Calderano blade, and I have tried for around 10 minutes.

To conclude, it feels pretty unique.

First, it's a outter fibre blade with koto as the first ply.
Second the fibre, Xiom calls it Super Arylate. And the catch is, there is no carbon with it, like the Butterfly ZLF or AL blades.

How it feel? Here is some of my conclusion:

1 Although it is a outter fibre blade, it doesn't feel very fast or stiff. The dwell time feels long.
It feels slower than the AZXi (both alc and zlc side).

2 To compare with other outter fibre blade like Viscaria, the biggest difference is the feel. Hugo feels quite woody, with no vibration, while the Butterfly fibre blades normally with quite amount of vibration (even the zlf blade).

3 Because of the woody feel, the touch game is really good with the Hugo blade. And the control during top spin is quite good as well.

4 I've played mostly inner fibre blades in the past few years (mainly DHS blades) and never played outter blades. But after playing Hugo, I would really want to give it a try and considering buy one myself.

5 Blocking and flat hitting feels good because of the outer fibre composite.

I feel it pretty unique, because this is probably the most woody feeling outer fibre blade I've ever play so far. Less vibration than most of the butterfly carbon blades.

I played it for only 10 minutes and I can't make any in depth review and comparison.

Check Sherwin's channel, he will probably post a in depth review soon: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4JbqJ-oq1BtLLr7v-ZMG0A

微信图片_20200215213348.jpg

微信图片_20200215213401.jpg

微信图片_20200215213410.jpg

微信图片_20200215213406.jpg

Last edited:
says yes, I did thanks. I've just sent an email with the...
says yes, I did thanks. I've just sent an email with the...
Aug 2017
Thanks for sharing, I'm very interested in this blade but haven't seen much from xiom trying to sell the advantages of the new fibre.
Also I don't believe Hugo has played with this yet?

The overall stiffness of Dynasty is a bit high due to the very thick core.
I think Dynasty require a good power and tenique to get the dwell time. At mid-small power, the ball bounce off a bit fast.
Hugo has longer dwell time at small-mid power range.

So overall, at mid-small power Hugo feels softer. Dynasty has higher power ceiling at big power.

How do you compare it with STIGA dynasty? Dynasty is also has this woody feeling with more dwell time compared to viscaria

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
How did the handle feel? Was it thick or thin in comparison with for instance a Viscaria?

The overall stiffness of Dynasty is a bit high due to the very thick core.
I think Dynasty require a good power and tenique to get the dwell time. At mid-small power, the ball bounce off a bit fast.
Hugo has longer dwell time at small-mid power range.

So overall, at mid-small power Hugo feels softer. Dynasty has higher power ceiling at big power.

I bought one and got Vega X rubbers on both sides. Had my first hit with it yesterday for 3 hours and really liked it. Definitely slower than the AZXi, completely different feel. Handle is slightly larger than the AZXi, you are talking a tiny amount. Great control and excellent at blocking but I don't know if it is the blade or rubbers that is doing it.

Yes the handle feels thick, similar to Viscaria, thicker than icecream. I mean FL handle, not sure how the ST feels

How did the handle feel? Was it thick or thin in comparison with for instance a Viscaria?

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrea Cherubini
I can only generally say Hugo feels softer than Viscaria

I can't conclude on the speed or throw angle between Hugo and Viscaria at this stage because I only played it for 10 minutes and Viscaria is not my main blade.

It's slower than 968, this I am sure.

Could you please compare the blade to Viscaria? Is it harder/ softer? How about the throw angle?

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019

I wonder who would win between sherwin and dan.
they are both in UK so would be a nice match to watch.....

Last edited: