Loki Rubbers

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

I will try to describe the situation at the table.
Imagine being midrallye and the opponent starts looping and you countertopspinning. Usually these balls, especially in the beginning and closer to the table are quite flat, because speed (and placement) is what usually will get you the point.

Though the moment your topspin comes back to the opponent 2 problems are in need to be dealt with.
First the ball is usually flat and therefore probably below the net by the time your opponent wants to hit it. Second he just opened up and now needs time to reposition and get further back. To achieve this many people start looping higher balls. These balls (executed well) are loaded with spin and get a huge kick when coming down to the table. Returning those is quite difficult and imo way harder than normal topspins. With topspins the amount of spin and the reaction on the table is easier to predict. This gets way harder if someone starts counterlooping with a higher arc.

One example: https://youtu.be/yDT_n1PCYbU
at 0:36 you have a behind the table looping rallye in which Hugo loops higher than usual and jang cant predict the kick of the ball. Probably the positioning of the ball was a big keyfactor here but i hope you get what i mean^^

Yep, I do understand the principle now.Thank you.
Now another question , have you ever done a comparison , the Arthur China against the Rxton 5, or otherwise some H3 or H3 Neo ???

Last edited:
Reactions: latej and ttarc
This user has no status.

Yep, I do understand the principle now.Thank you.
Now another question , have you ever done a comparison , the Arthur China against the Rxton 5, or otherwise some H3 or H3 Neo ???

Never played with Rxton 5.
H3 and H3neo (both boosted) are still slightly better than Arthur China but not by much. Here you have a little tradeoff compared to how you boosted the H3. The Arthur China is overall faster and easier to trigger its potential. You have a slightly better margin for errors in many situations. The disadvantage to H3 is the amount of spin the rubbers can produce. H3 is suprior here and getting the desired arc from your loops is easier.
I did switch from H3 to Arthur China and it didnt took long to adjust. You need to be aware that ball goes a bit wider and has little less spin, but if you have that in mind the adjustments are easy to make.

Right now i am eager to test Big Dipper 2 actually because ive read that it is a good alternative to H3 and is supposed to be consistent from batch to batch (unlike Big Dipper). On top i get these rubbers for 15€ from princett which is a great deal. If that doesnt work i fear i have to go to Xiom (Vega China) or smth like this, because getting rubbers from Aliexpress to germany right now is not easy. Either there no shops who ship to germany or the prices are way too high, like H3 (36-42€).
We will see.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews

H3 and H3neo (both boosted) are still slightly better than Arthur China but not by much. Here you have a little tradeoff compared to how you boosted the H3. The Arthur China is overall faster and easier to trigger its potential. You have a slightly better margin for errors in many situations. The disadvantage to H3 is the amount of spin the rubbers can produce. H3 is suprior here and getting the desired arc from your loops is easier.
I did switch from H3 to Arthur China and it didnt took long to adjust. You need to be aware that ball goes a bit wider and has little less spin, but if you have that in mind the adjustments are easy to make.

Right now i am eager to test Big Dipper 2 actually because ive read that it is a good alternative to H3 and is supposed to be consistent from batch to batch (unlike Big Dipper). On top i get these rubbers for 15€ from princett which is a great deal. If that doesnt work i fear i have to go to Xiom (Vega China) or smth like this, because getting rubbers from Aliexpress to germany right now is not easy. Either there no shops who ship to germany or the prices are way too high, like H3 (36-42€).
We will see.

I tried the Big Dipper 2 in 41deg. It was hard. Harder than my H3 41deg. I boosted it, and it softened up a bit. But it's quite hard and it's not quite as tacky as H3. Though it's really good looping with and due to the hardness it's really controllable in the shorter game as well. Now I tried this on my Yinhe V14 Pro blade at first. I feel that it works better on a Sanwei HC-5S, which is a bit slower and an inner soft carbon blade. It will certainly fit your play style.

This user has no status.

I tried the Big Dipper 2 in 41deg. It was hard. Harder than my H3 41deg. I boosted it, and it softened up a bit. But it's quite hard and it's not quite as tacky as H3. Though it's really good looping with and due to the hardness it's really controllable in the shorter game as well. Now I tried this on my Yinhe V14 Pro blade at first. I feel that it works better on a Sanwei HC-5S, which is a bit slower and an inner soft carbon blade. It will certainly fit your play style.

It is on my Yinhe Pro-01.
Then it is indeed quite close to H3, and it reacted really well to the booster, too. I put one bigger layer on it and it curled really strong. Had to wait for several ways to put it on the blade. First try failed too with Revolution -.- (OT: This glue really pisses me off - even with 4 layers of glue on the rubber and 2 on the blade it is a pain in the butt to make a boosted rubber stay where it is told to stay).

The deciding factor will be how good i can finish and countertopspin, plus how the arc of the rubber feels. If it gets any close to the miracles i could perform with H3 and Arthur China, i will stick with it for 15€.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews

It is on my Yinhe Pro-01.
Then it is indeed quite close to H3, and it reacted really well to the booster, too. I put one bigger layer on it and it curled really strong. Had to wait for several ways to put it on the blade. First try failed too with Revolution -.- (OT: This glue really pisses me off - even with 4 layers of glue on the rubber and 2 on the blade it is a pain in the butt to make a boosted rubber stay where it is told to stay).

The deciding factor will be how good i can finish and countertopspin, plus how the arc of the rubber feels. If it gets any close to the miracles i could perform with H3 and Arthur China, i will stick with it for 15€.

Ah. So you already got it? If the rubber is too domed it's hard with any glue :) I always put it under pressure for a couple of hours after boosting and gluing. It could be really good at counter topspins, as it's quite hard and fast. I hope it works for you then :) Which sponge hardness did you order?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

We will see.

Thanking you kindly for this insight.
I still have 2 identical blades using H3 boosted on one and Rxton5 on the other (with 1 thin coat of seamoon)
The Rxton 5 might give a bit flatter FH topspin shots than the H3 but it is really marginal and takes only a minute to adjust. Close in exchanges I can not really find a difference in the spin I can create, both rubbers are sticky and grippy.

My Aliexpress sources DO deliver and most of them still free of postage costs.
Rxton5 is considerably cheaper than H3 and Neo.

This user has no status.

Ah. So you already got it? If the rubber is too domed it's hard with any glue :) I always put it under pressure for a couple of hours after boosting and gluing. It could be really good at counter topspins, as it's quite hard and fast. I hope it works for you then :) Which sponge hardness did you order?

Yeah arrived after 12 days. Really surprised, especially because they needed several days to ship it^^
Never had this issue by this amount with DHS No. 15, but this is hard to get to germany too -.- I mean i even managed to glue a rubber with it, which was in a total "U" state, because i needed the blade earlier than i calculated 😅

Yep i put the Big Dipper 2 under several books+laptop too. There is literally no other way.

I took it in 39, because i want some more speed in my openers/weaker shots.

@lodro: The only shop i trust that still delivers to germany raised their prices by big load. Like i said with normal provincial H3 i have to pay 42€, while i payed around 30 2 years ago. Disgusting, and i dont even wanna talk about H3 neo.
If Big Dipper 2 doesnt convince, i might consider testing it. Maybe next to a Vega China^^

Reactions: Choosikick
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Yeah arrived after 12 days. Really surprised, especially because they needed several days to ship it^^
Never had this issue by this amount with DHS No. 15, but this is hard to get to germany too -.- I mean i even managed to glue a rubber with it, which was in a total "U" state, because i needed the blade earlier than i calculated 😅

Yep i put the Big Dipper 2 under several books+laptop too. There is literally no other way.

@lodro: The only shop i trust that still delivers to germany raised their prices by big load. Like i said with normal provincial H3 i have to pay 42€, while i payed around 30 2 years ago. Disgusting, and i dont even wanna talk about H3 neo.
If Big Dipper 2 doesnt convince, i might consider testing it. Maybe next to a Vega China^^

Vega China will cost you an arm and a leg 😁

Tabletennis11 sells H3 and NEO for 23 euros

Last edited:
This user has no status.

I can get vega china for 35 euros and around 30 if i get a discount. But yeah this is literally my upper range for now i can accept.

The version at this price are commercial ones, which i really dont like. The differences in batches are way too high.

​​​​​​

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Just to recap, I am very impressed by Rxton 5. It's similarly tacky and grippy as H3. It is hard and dense, and noticeably faster than H3N.

Never tried N80, but from descriptions I have heard, it sounds like N80 is similar to Rxton 5. Maybe N80 is the pro version, and Rxton is the training version.

GTX is hard and porous sponge. With booster, it is a very fast rubber, but lacks dwell time. With some added baby oil, the dwell time increases significantly and ends up playing like a boosted H3.

Never tried Arthur China, but it sounds like it is similar to Big Dipper in its bounciness and speed with good arc.

This user has no status.

I can get vega china for 35 euros and around 30 if i get a discount. But yeah this is literally my upper range for now i can accept.

The version at this price are commercial ones, which i really dont like. The differences in batches are way too high.

​​​​​​

Interesting price difference. I can get a Vega China for 27 Euros or less.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews

Yes ok. I never tried the DHS No. 15 myself, but I might do that when I get it next time.
Here in Sweden our postal services detains packages sending out customs and vat invoices, when you order from Prince of TT, Presports etc outside EU, so it costs a bit more and takes some extra time.
I'm thinking about a softer sponge as well, because the 41deg was too hard. I felt almost the same with the original Big Dipper when I tried it in 40deg. I couldn't get the effect out of it as I could with the 38 & 39deg versions. But these are quite different from the Big Dipper 2. I guess the sponge makes a huge difference here.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews

In Sweden The NEO versions are sold from about €15 excl vat. It's almost crazy, thinking about the performance of these rubbers. The normal H3 might be a bit more expensive...

• Wow
Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
For those who are fans of the Rxton 3, there's a new version out now with blue and pink topsheet, - but don't be fooled: it's a Rxton 3 in name only.. and in my opinion it's pretty damn good - better than the original version certainly. The blue and pink versions of the Rxton 3 have a harder, thicker, heavier, stiffer and FAR tackier topsheet than the black and red versions. They also feature 'all new imported sponge'. ...Imported from where I don't know, but it's more like a traditional Chinese sponge at first glance - it's far harder than the previous orange Rxton 3 sponge with smaller pores If the orange sponge is a 45-47 degree hardness, then the new white sponge is closer to a 50. A side by side comparison with my regular H3 and 729 Battle 2 showed this new Rxton sponge was the hardest of the lot. (Why they would completely change both the top sheet AND the sponge on the new coloured versions of this rubber, yet still give it the same name, is frankly beyond me.) ​​​​​​Build quality is excellent as always, but the topsheet has also gone 'full tacky' now, not just another semi tacky hybrid. The rxton3 black only lifts the ball momentarily, but with the blue I actually had to shake it to have it fall off! I tried this new rubber unboosted on one of my fastest off + all wood blades, with the blue version on the FH and a regular Rxton 3 black on my BH. Long story short, this new blue version is a beauty!! It's an absolute speed demon if you like spinny topspin drives, counter-hitting or full blooded fast forehand loops (which I do). IMO it is clearly both faster and spinner than the regular Battle 2 and H3 by a significant margin. Despite the hard sponge you still get a bit of a subtle catapult effect to the sponge...my H3 felt almost completely dead in comparison and the battle 2 (which I loved BTW) felt even worse. To get the best out of it, you need to hit hard with lots of blade speed and really engage the the sponge layer, but the rubber rewards you for doing so. The control I got at high speed was impressive - full-blooded drives still feel eminently controllable, and the enormous spin it generates (plus a lower than average throw angle) means that the ball stays very low and fast off the table with plenty of topspin kick... Maybe I imagined it, but the ball seemed to kick forwards at speed towards my opponent a lot more, rather than rise up off the table. Driving and smashing with this thing is extremely satisfying on a very deep level, being so hard it just refuses to bottom out. Serving, pushing and chop-pushing were pretty straight forward so it's short game doesn't suffer much. I don't block an awful lot so I can't comment there, but flat counter hits still have enough speed and control to be dangerous. I personally prefer the blue on FH but it is *almost* springy enough to work on BH IMO, assuming you like to hit hard there as well. After two weeks regular play the sponge has played in a bit, and the top sheet has lost a little tack, but otherwise it still performs brilliantly. If you like the B2, H3 or Mercury 2 for their spin and tackiness, and love full-blooded drives, loops and smashes, then this new blue Rxton 3 is really worth a try. ​​​​

Last edited:
For those who are fans of the Rxton 3, there's a new version out now with blue and pink topsheet, - but don't be fooled: it's a Rxton 3 in name only.. and in my opinion it's pretty damn good - better than the original version certainly. The blue and pink versions of the Rxton 3 have a harder, thicker, heavier, stiffer and FAR tackier topsheet than the black and red versions. They also feature 'all new imported sponge'. ...Imported from where I don't know, but it's more like a traditional Chinese sponge at first glance - it's far harder than the previous orange Rxton 3 sponge with smaller pores If the orange sponge is a 45-47 degree hardness, then the new white sponge is closer to a 50. A side by side comparison with my regular H3 and 729 Battle 2 showed this new Rxton sponge was the hardest of the lot. (Why they would completely change both the top sheet AND the sponge on the new coloured versions of this rubber, yet still give it the same name, is frankly beyond me.) ​​​​​​Build quality is excellent as always, but the topsheet has also gone 'full tacky' now, not just another semi tacky hybrid. The rxton3 black only lifts the ball momentarily, but with the blue I actually had to shake it to have it fall off! I tried this new rubber unboosted on one of my fastest off + all wood blades, with the blue version on the FH and a regular Rxton 3 black on my BH. Long story short, this new blue version is a beauty!! It's an absolute speed demon if you like spinny topspin drives, counter-hitting or full blooded fast forehand loops (which I do). IMO it is clearly both faster and spinner than the regular Battle 2 and H3 by a significant margin. Despite the hard sponge you still get a bit of a subtle catapult effect to the sponge...my H3 felt almost completely dead in comparison and the battle 2 (which I loved BTW) felt even worse. To get the best out of it, you need to hit hard with lots of blade speed and really engage the the sponge layer, but the rubber rewards you for doing so. The control I got at high speed was impressive - full-blooded drives still feel eminently controllable, and the enormous spin it generates (plus a lower than average throw angle) means that the ball stays very low and fast off the table with plenty of topspin kick... Maybe I imagined it, but the ball seemed to kick forwards at speed towards my opponent a lot more, rather than rise up off the table. Driving and smashing with this thing is extremely satisfying on a very deep level, being so hard it just refuses to bottom out. Serving, pushing and chop-pushing were pretty straight forward so it's short game doesn't suffer much. I don't block an awful lot so I can't comment there, but flat counter hits still have enough speed and control to be dangerous. I personally prefer the blue on FH but it is *almost* springy enough to work on BH IMO, assuming you like to hit hard there as well. After two weeks regular play the sponge has played in a bit, and the top sheet has lost a little tack, but otherwise it still performs brilliantly. If you like the B2, H3 or Mercury 2 for their spin and tackiness, and love full-blooded drives, loops and smashes, then this new blue Rxton 3 is really worth a try. ​​​​

interesting

This user has no status.
Sounds interesting, have you tried Rxton 5 before? How does it compare?

I haven't tried the Rxton 5 yet - only the Rxton 1 in red and black, and the Rxton 3 in black and blue.

I note the blue and pink Rxton 3 are being sold on Aliexpress at a $10 premium to the black and red. Whether this is a sign of their popularity or just a positioning / marketing thing, I'm not sure.

The Blue Rxton 3 really is sufficiently different to the black that it should be called by another rname - the differences to my mind were just too stark between the two (though having said that, the black and blue do still feel quite similar in many ways too... so I'm assuming the pimple structure between them is identical, even if the sponge and topsheet isn't.)

I showed the R3 blue around my club and the consensus was the white sponge seemed a bit more like a 729 sponge... It had the same kind of look and feel in some ways... But that said, I have not seen that particular sponge being used anywhere else either (maybe it will be used on the battle 3? Who knows...)

A few people have commented that the Rxton 1 and 3 use the same topsheet, just different sponges. Whether or not that is true for the R1 and regular R3, it is definitely NOT true of the R3Blue. I bought both the R3black and R3 blue at the same time, and the R3Blue was noticeable stiffer... Like hugely so. The text imprint details on the blue's LARC was clean and sharp as a tack. The black was also pretty clear, but the blue held the edge.

One final point - out of the box, the black sat flat on the table while the blue has a slight negative / concave curl to it. The Blue topsheet curved up slightly at the corners and edges, so definitely a very hard topsheet (no need to boost this one, it's fast enough already... but if you absolutely positively must boost your rubber instead of buying one factory boosted like everyone else, then I'm guessing this one may stand up to it quite well.)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
How hard is the sponge? To me a serious FH rubber sponge should be 39-41d.

I remember the Rxton 1 was a more casual sponge, maybe 36 or 37.

This user has no status.
How hard is the sponge? To me a serious FH rubber sponge should be 39-41d.

I remember the Rxton 1 was a more casual sponge, maybe 36 or 37.

I would need to take the rubber off my blade to check, and I'm also unsure which hardness scale Loki uses sorry.

All I know is it is harder than the R3 black by a significant measure. I'm hesitant to say that it's any harder than say a 50 would be, but to play with, it certainly felt about that hard to me personally.

It had also come down a notch or two in hardness after two weeks of use.. if it was 50 or thereabouts when new, it would be a 42-47 after a fortnight's hard usage.