Need advice on Blade sealing

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Hi,

Though I had no immediate requirement but as I was getting a good deal on a Stiga Infinity VPS V blade, i went ahead and ordered one. I read some posts on blade sealing and my understanding after reading those is that it depends on number of factors, such as the outer layer of the blade, glue, booster and frequency of changing the rubbers. In my case, my typical usage would be with a boosted DHS hurricane 3 Neo rubber on Forehand, fast rubbers such as Nittaku Fastarc g-1, or Yasaka Rakza 7 or Rasanter r47 on backhand glued with Evolution no. 3 glue and might change the rubber every 6+ months. According to this link, it seems that Infinity has Limba on it's outer layer. Please advice if I should or shouldn't go ahead with blade sealing.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Hi,

Though I had no immediate requirement but as I was getting a good deal on a Stiga Infinity VPS V blade, i went ahead and ordered one. I read some posts on blade sealing and my understanding after reading those is that it depends on number of factors, such as the outer layer of the blade, glue, booster and frequency of changing the rubbers. In my case, my typical usage would be with a boosted DHS hurricane 3 Neo rubber on Forehand, fast rubbers such as Nittaku Fastarc g-1, or Yasaka Rakza 7 or Rasanter r47 on backhand glued with Evolution no. 3 glue and might change the rubber every 6+ months. According to this link, it seems that Infinity has Limba on it's outer layer. Please advice if I should or shouldn't go ahead with blade sealing.

It's not necessary (except maybe on balsa) if you are careful when removing your rubbers. Limba and koto outer plies are strong enough. Sealing makes your blade a bit stiffer and you can lose a bit of control, feel and flex. It also makes it harder to glue with water-based glue like the one you're using.