Equipment recommendation

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Hello, I can describe myself as an amateur who knows the basics. Currently, I own a premade Stiga 5* Flexure, received as a gift. Even though I've made some progress in my game, I don't think this will help me on the long run since I play daily at the office and 1 or 2 times a week at the local club. I'm thinking to switch to a Stiga All Around wood version with Yasaka rakza 7 soft rubbers on both sides. What other rubbers would you recommend me?

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hi David, welcome to the forum! You've chosen a great sport to play :D

This is going to sound a little patronising, especially on the internet, but please know that it isn't supposed to be.

The questions is, do you want to improve and learn the skill of table tennis (be that attacking or defending)?

Or do you just want to have fun with equipment and mates, and "self teach" yourself?

The order of business for me would be:

1. Find a coach, pay for a few lessons and let them guide you on equipment.

You are absolutely right that your pre-made bat won't help you, but neither will Rakza 7 which will be far far far too quick.

If the coach is any good, they should be able to suggest something suitable.

If you don't have access to a coach, try and record some basic forehand shots and backhand shots, and post them on here for people to see your actual level.

2. This falls on deaf ears to most adults who take up the sport, but if you genuinely want to improve and be as good as you can be, you'll be using much slower rubbers for a good year or two before you even come close to the current "tensor" type rubbers.

Cheap Chinese rubbers allow you to play full strokes without having to worry about bombing the ball off the table - They also help with spin and touch. All 3 of those things are far more important than speed.

3. Stick with a blade you find comfortable. An ALL+ blade would be absolutely fine (choose one you like the look of!) Anything that is OFF will be too quick for a beginner.

That's pretty much it on the "do you want to improve" side....

If you just want to have a laugh and enjoy yourself without worrying too much, you can go crazy! Get Rakza, heck, buy Tenergy and feel the might of Butterfly!

If it were me, I'd put as much money into coaching as I could, and I wouldn't listen to people on the internet ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Agreed with Mr. NDH. Get any All to All+ blade you like and pair of middle of the road rubbers. You can also get an M8 + 2*729batwings on alliexpress for 15$ and that will be great for the first year. It will came preglued, ready to play. Consider first blade as a tool to learn. Get something cheap and effective in case path 1 described by ndh.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Indeed, you are right sir. Thank you NDH for your time taken to write this "patronizing" advice. If I'm unable to find a suitable coaching in my area I'll come back with the video. Have a nice day!

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
The Stiga Allround Classic is a great bat for beginners, intermediate players and up, so good choice there.

The Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft rubbers in 1.8mm would be alright especially if you get some coaching, though a bit fast and bouncy at first like NDH said. Xiom Vega Intro would probably be a better fit or even non-tensor rubbers like Mark V or Butterfly Sriver.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttdad