Table Tennis Racket Advice

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Hi, I'm a fairly competitive player, having played for about 12 years. After a recent 1 year break, I decided to get back into the game. As I had coaches who helped me choose my rubbers and blade before, I can say that I'm fairly clueless about how to start off choosing my own bat. I usually like to play offensively (pimples in on both sides), serving spinny short balls and going for an aggressive forehand loop on the third ball or fifth ball attack. As for my backhand, I would prefer a more controlled style of play (more blocking, less looping), but would still like to be able to play offensively on the backhand if need be. Not sure if it factors into racket building, but I'm a left hander. Currently using the provincial hurricane 3 on the forehand (which I find a tad too slow, but really extremely spinny) and tenergy 05 on the backhand (which I'm quite satisfied with, but would like to look at other options that are similar)
Any advice for what blade and rubber I should get? Thank you for the help in advance!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
What blade do you normally use?

If H3 is too slow then there are at least 3 common options.

1) Boost H3
2) Use a hybrid tacky rubber.
3) Use a hard sponge tensor rubber.

Have tried boosting, still found it a bit too slow, but really lots of spin on the loop. Could be because of my stroke, but I'm not really sure myself. Can't really remember my blade offhand as well as it is an old model and I don't change it that often. Do you have recommendations of a hybrid tacky rubber/hard sponge tensor rubber paired with a blade recommendation that I can try ?

This user has no status.
As far as Hybrid tacky rubber - Butterfly Dignics 09C is coming out in April. Timo Boll and Dimitry Ovtcharov have been using it. I’ve used JOOLA Golden Tango and it was decent. Others are Xiom Vega China, Stiga Genesis II, Tibhar K1 and K2, Donic Blue Grip.

Hard Sponge Tensors - Every table tennis company has a hard sponge tensor. Tenergy 05 Hard is an example. I’m using JOOLA Rhyzer Pro 50 and like it. But really, every brand has a hard sponge rubber now. Maybe Tibhar MX-S if you want something conservative.

I recently switched to the DHS Hurricane Long 5. It’s a decent looping blade and has good control when pushing. The speed is enough. But, everyone has a personal preference based on the composition of the blade. In April I’ll probably try it with DIGNICS 09c on forehand and DIGNICS 80 on backhand. (I’m using JOOLA Rhyzer 50 and 45 now).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
As far as Hybrid tacky rubber - Butterfly Dignics 09C is coming out in April. Timo Boll and Dimitry Ovtcharov have been using it. I’ve used JOOLA Golden Tango and it was decent. Others are Xiom Vega China, Stiga Genesis II, Tibhar K1 and K2, Donic Blue Grip.

Hard Sponge Tensors - Every table tennis company has a hard sponge tensor. Tenergy 05 Hard is an example. I’m using JOOLA Rhyzer Pro 50 and like it. But really, every brand has a hard sponge rubber now. Maybe Tibhar MX-S if you want something conservative.

I recently switched to the DHS Hurricane Long 5. It’s a decent looping blade and has good control when pushing. The speed is enough. But, everyone has a personal preference based on the composition of the blade. In April I’ll probably try it with DIGNICS 09c on forehand and DIGNICS 80 on backhand. (I’m using JOOLA Rhyzer 50 and 45 now).

Read a lot of different things about the DHS Hurricane Long 5. One of the key things I saw was that it doesn't provide enough spin when looping backhand, but it is a very fast blade that helps you to block well, although hard to control. How is your experience like with this blade?

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Hi, I'm a fairly competitive player, having played for about 12 years. After a recent 1 year break, I decided to get back into the game. As I had coaches who helped me choose my rubbers and blade before, I can say that I'm fairly clueless about how to start off choosing my own bat. I usually like to play offensively (pimples in on both sides), serving spinny short balls and going for an aggressive forehand loop on the third ball or fifth ball attack. As for my backhand, I would prefer a more controlled style of play (more blocking, less looping), but would still like to be able to play offensively on the backhand if need be. Not sure if it factors into racket building, but I'm a left hander. Currently using the provincial hurricane 3 on the forehand (which I find a tad too slow, but really extremely spinny) and tenergy 05 on the backhand (which I'm quite satisfied with, but would like to look at other options that are similar)
Any advice for what blade and rubber I should get? Thank you for the help in advance!!

Seems to me like your coaches were able to guide you well in the past regarding your equipment as you're already playing with advanced rubbers, so I think you should turn to them again for advice telling them what you have in mind for potential upgrades. Bryan gave you some great suggestions but it's kind of all they are, since we haven't seen you play, your coaches almost certainly know best.

Maybe it's changing your rubbers, maybe it's keeping the same but improving your technique, or not changing your rubbers but your blade instead... they'll be able to tell you.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Read a lot of different things about the DHS Hurricane Long 5. One of the key things I saw was that it doesn't provide enough spin when looping backhand, but it is a very fast blade that helps you to block well, although hard to control. How is your experience like with this blade?

A blade does not do the spinning. The player does. A player who said that looping with BH did not provide enough spin and thought it was the specific blade, he probably has a technique issue with his BH and does not realize it when he uses his preferred setup.

The Long 5 blade should be good for looping from both wings. There are plenty of players on the forum using and HL 5 or a W968 blade which is the National version. They can tell you if that idea of HL5 not being good for BH loop holds water or not.

This user has no status.

I’ve only spent one day using it. I’ll need to use it for a month before I have a solid opinion. My friend put the same rubber on his Viscaria. I can tell you that compared to a Viscaria (or TB ALC) the blade is slower, more controlled, and less direct / linear. Compared to my previous blade (JOOLA Nobilis, it’s even slower). So... it’s all relative. (Faster than an all wood Stiga infinity blade).

Forehand looping was spinny so far. I can’t really say much about backhand spin yet. That might also depend on the backhand technique and contact style.

This guy in the video review seems to put a lot of spin on his backhand shots. (He uses Tenergy 05 on backhand and T05 hard on forehand). The video has English subtitles. Also he might be using the more expensive and elusive w968 version.

https://youtu.be/UMZ9EgS8xqU

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Read 1 reviews
I can tell you that compared to a Viscaria (or TB ALC) the blade is slower, more controlled, and less direct / linear.

I have owned 3 W968, numerous HL5 & about 10 Viscaria blades. For my style:

Power: W968 > HL5 > Viscaria
Bounciness: W968 <= HL5 < Viscaria
Control: W968 > HL5 > Viscaria
Serve / receive quality: W968 = HL5 > Viscaria
Production quality: Viscaria > W968 > HL5

It is easier to finish point with W968 (or HL5) than with the Viscaria.

Reactions: BryanY
This user has no status.
I have owned 3 W968, numerous HL5 & about 10 Viscaria blades. For my style:

Power: W968 > HL5 > Viscaria
Bounciness: W968 <= HL5 < Viscaria
Control: W968 > HL5 > Viscaria
Serve / receive quality: W968 = HL5 > Viscaria
Production quality: Viscaria > W968 > HL5

It is easier to finish point with W968 (or HL5) than with the Viscaria.

That’s quite the Table Tennis budget!

Thanks for the ratings. I’ve only used the HL5 for one day so far.