How to maintain level with infrequent play?

This user has no status.
Greetings,

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to maintain a playing level with infrequent play (other than playing more, which isn't possible)?

I used to be around 1900, but unfortunately only have the opportunity to play once or twice a month now for an hour or so each time. It's disheartening to see how much worse I'm getting over the past few months (especially against folks who require consistency, such as long pip blockers).

Do lessons once or twice a month help? Do robots actually help? Should I just concentrate on drills and not play games when I get the chance? Do shadow strokes help?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Reactions: NanaChiTang
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Honestly, at a higher than average level, which 1900 is or is approaching, it's not really possible. Make the most of your time you do get, with structured training etc. but no it is not really possible to maintain a decent level when playing once or twice a month.

Reactions: suds79
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It can't be done. Your level will drop.

It can come back quickly. But unless you play, your level will drop.

Reactions: suds79
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Opinari, you have met me before I think. I was in a very similar situation at the time you met me.

I was mid-1900s and got re-assigned to a very remote part of USA and was too difficult to play in a real club vs players more than once a month, if that. It took a year, but I dipped below 1900, then tore up my rotator cuff and dipped deep below 1800.

Once I got my shoulder more than halfway healed and I was staying in Boston temporarily out of work for 3 months, that was all it took to get my level back playing 4-5x a week. It felt like a got 100 points of level back after my first week.

Once you stop playing regularly, the first thing that goes is your timing, then your touch of the ball. It is unavoidable. Sure, you can do TT related things that keep your mind in the game frame and a few things that will keep your physical there, but the timing and touch will go.

The singular thing I could say is to keep practicing serves, even if you are serving to the top of your bed or the floor or your dinner table. That will keep some of the touch there, will keep at least the timing for serves there, then when you get better play time, the rest falls together pretty well.

says Aging is a killer
OP,I wouldn't worry too much about falling standards when out of practice. A player (age 51) has come to our club this past week. He hasn't played for over 30 years. With about 4 hours table time this week, already much of his game has returned. Give him a few weeks and he'll again be playing at a high standard.
So, as I said, barring any physical issues, your game will return once you start playing again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Greetings,

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to maintain a playing level with infrequent play (other than playing more, which isn't possible)?

I used to be around 1900, but unfortunately only have the opportunity to play once or twice a month now for an hour or so each time. It's disheartening to see how much worse I'm getting over the past few months (especially against folks who require consistency, such as long pip blockers).

Do lessons once or twice a month help? Do robots actually help? Should I just concentrate on drills and not play games when I get the chance? Do shadow strokes help?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Your level will drop but lessons and practice and working out (getting fitter and stronger) all help. And as everyone has said, your level will return with regular practice. Reading spin is always the biggest thing.

This user has no status.
Think about it like a weight lifter. How can you lift your max weight and compete against others who are lifting multiple times a week if you are in the gym a few times a month? You need to be working harder than your opponents in every way if you are going to do well against them. It's true in most every competition.

says Aging is a killer
Physical exercise and keep thinking about table tennis! thats what I would say but if you can put your lessons into multiple days in a row that would help.

Very true. The returning player that I mentioned, is quite fit from playing squash and tennis.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
these days I give multiball more than i actually play which is very frustrating because i enjoyed the mental side of matches so much - tactics psychology analysis of self, opponent, and preparation.
however the internet and ITTV has helped me in the following way. On the many train journeys I take i use wifi to study full length matches of the top international players fom china japan and korea. I find it a waste of time to look for short clips of wigglies, rollers and behind the back shots etc. Instead I try to get into the head of the players i study. Thus the efforts of the contenders -Boll, ovtcharov, the japanese girls, pitchford and their coaches to snatch glory from china, inspire me to keep my head in the game

This user has no status.
Thanks all for the honest responses and candid advice.

I've decided that I should buy the Harimoto Innerforce Super ZLC to improve my game in the absence of practice.

Just kidding! :D In all seriousness, I understand it's not really possible to maintain a playing level without actually playing. I'm not just getting worse, but others are putting in the time to get better.

It's really reassuring to hear though that it comes back quickly. I've been playing weekly for almost a decade and it's so weird to essentially not play in the past few months.

Going forward, I'll keep in mind to keep fit and active. I'll also aim to put in quality time when I do play (i.e., drills / practice) and the point about practicing serves is a great one! I'm hesitant though to spend money on a coach since I've always found it most helpful to implement new lessons during the week.

Opinari, you have met me before I think. I was in a very similar situation at the time you met me.

And Der_Echte, I do remember that game (at the Korean club)! I remember thinking that I didn't really win - something was totally off. You had these crazy good shots that I was warned about, but really weird unforced errors too. Really to your credit, I'd no idea that you had those issues until now.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
You never start back from zero, fortunately. The motor memories are still in there somewhere. So you can come back to a decent level reasonably quickly. And the more you trained before the quicker you come back.

But if you stop or reduce playing time for your level drops and there is no substitute.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Make the same strokes. Players that get good technique ans manage to make the same strokes are very safe years after the stop playing. But Maybe you need alot time to really learn the strokes.

If you want to win games, practice serves.

If you want to develope, shadowpractice everywhere and observation learning by watching tabletennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Read 3 reviews
In the beginning it will drop, then aften a while you are used to play less and you wil get back at the level you had (almost, not completely). The thing to keep the competition level is to practice what you use in matches, serve return and third ball. Your consistency will drop for sure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Once you stop playing regularly, the first thing that goes is your timing, then your touch of the ball. It is unavoidable. Sure, you can do TT related things that keep your mind in the game frame and a few things that will keep your physical there, but the timing and touch will go.

Exactly. I was forced to have more than a couple breaks during my playing "career". So after returning, your timing is so off, that you just can't hit a ball. After an hour or few, timing returns and you stop missing the ball and then you notice that the touch is off, that your balls goes where it wants :)

And as it was mentioned, skills come back with some effort. It is like learning how to ride a bike and once you learn, you can't forget it completely. But shadow training isn't effective IMHO. No matter how you shadow train, your timing will be off when you start playing. Maybe practicing serves on your bed will preserve some touch, but not sure... never tried that and never worried too much about loosing my skills. they do come back

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I stick post-it notes on a curtain and smash balls at it. You will still have to adjust for spin in a real match, but does help alot with placement and accuracy. Quick fix for when you can't play haha.

Reactions: Simas