Need even more advice on equipment /s

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Perhaps the members of the forum can help me.

I have been playing for about a year. I consider my level somewhere between intermediate and advanced. I play mostly on Saturdays.

I try to model my forehand after Ma Long, I try to loop every ball with spin and speed. I have been working hard to get more power on that stroke, and in the mirror it is definitely looking better. I try to model my backhand after something between Dima Ovtcharov and FZD. When I am not hitting blistering loops that bend the fabric of space time, I mostly block the ball but really hard to put pressure on my opponent. I try to make ALL my serves have as much spin as possible because obviously THAT is the way to make them more effective.

Right now I am using a Zhang Jike sZLC blade with Tenergy 05 on both sides. A friend who says he knows a pro player has boosted the rubber for me.

One little problem though is that a lot of my balls go off the table. That is, except the ones that go into the net, and my other friend who only plays in the basement and who uses much crappier equipment has some serves that I have trouble returning and so they must be illegal.

I am looking to fix all these issues this by getting new equipment.

I am thinking about switching to MX-P or maybe Dignics on my backhand and switching to some sort of Hurricane National rubber for my forehand. Also, maybe a Mituzani ZLC would be better. Or a Timo Boll ZLC. If I get the Hurricane, what is the best way to boost it to make it as fast as possible?

Thanks in advanced for your help.

Signed,

Bewildered.

Oh, one other thing. How much more time should I spend practicing my forehand loop?

Archosaurus, it is good to have you back on the forum. :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I have SO WANTED to make multiple threads like this and tease the equipment obsessed crowd who will never try to learn TT... I have had to settle for making the occasion wize-azz comment(s)

It is not that I am afraid of the forum hating on me, heck, I always have to cope with the Goon Squad after me or Carl. I can handle the forum hating me. I just don't want Dan to shut down the forum when I run everyone off the forum posting 12 threads like that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
No, no, no you're doing it all wrong. Join the dark side with short pips on the FH and sun treated OX long pips on your backhand. Then you can break 2000 even if you're fat, old and talentless. Nothing more fun than pissing of Ma Long wannabes by just putting that blade gently in front of a loop and smacking down any high pushes with the FH. (Hi, Der Echte).

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
One of my friends who is still a beginner plays like that. And he doesnt look much like Ma Long. The other day he won a match against a 2000 level player. Of course I'm more advanced than he is so this suggestion doesnt help me much.

What I'm looking for is a blade that has MORE speed, MORE spin, and yet, on top of that, MORE control. I want the ball to go on the table without changing my stroke much.

For now I'm trying out Dignics for tomorrow's 2 hour forehand loop practice session. I am trying to perfect how to keep my arm straighter (that's a secret more advanced trick of the Chinese). There is a new guy at the club who is able to block really well, like every every ball goes RIGHT to my forehand so I can really hone it. I'm sure that will help me a lot for matches later on.

Signed Bewildered

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl