Am I mad? Thinking of changing style to modern defender

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I imagine the answer is probably yes and its the wrong idea, but.. I have been toying with the idea of changing style to a modern defender.

What do you think are the skillsets or key strengths that fit that style? To see if they align.

Ive always played with two reverse rubbers in an attacking style, but do like to play away from the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Yes you are mad, but I guess I am too. I started playing seriously as a penholder, but switched to shakehand, specifically as a defender. Two reasons: I like to be different, and at the club level, there are few defenders. And, I have always thought that defending is an aesthetically beautiful skill. I watch all the videos I can of Hitomi Sato and Honoka Hashimoto; from them I have learned the twiddle backhand attack. When I execute a good one, it is a rush! At the club level, no-one else does it, and to do it is rewarding, even if I lose the match! But, since changing, my rating has marched upward; but there is no denying that to be a good defender takes a long time and hours and hours of practice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Just know that defending is RARELY as glorious as those top players on youtube make it seem... it can be a very fun style, depending on your opponent.

To me it's not like being an attacker, where you try to impose your gameplan on the other player no matter what (attacks!). With defending, you must first be ATTACKED before you can really defend.

Reactions: suds79 and jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Just know that defending is RARELY as glorious as those top players on youtube make it seem... it can be a very fun style, depending on your opponent.

To me it's not like being an attacker, where you try to impose your gameplan on the other player no matter what (attacks!). With defending, you must first be ATTACKED before you can really defend.

You highlight one of the challenges of being a defender at a club level. To really have fun, you need to be attacked. Up to a certain level, the most common response to a good defensive push is a counter-push, and you really never get to chop very often. Some folks will be able to drill with you, but in matches you are often subjected to long pushing battles. Be prepared to be patient.

Reactions: suds79 and jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think modern defender is of a disadvantage with the plastic ball. Ifyou want to become it today you need to be more offensive and really have a great attack.

Defenders overall need good forehands in my opinion or it will be to predictable for the oppponen and to easy.

I also think modern defender is on if the most unforgiving styles if play out there. Need to have great footwork and work really hard.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Thank you for the very interesting replies.

I do have a good forehand that is my current main weapon and best stroke playing attacking so that would stay and I guess I wouldn't be ultra defensive. I'm also a lefty - i think I read somewhere this isn't good to be a defensive player?

Some more background: I currently play with two reverse rubbers in a attacking style, I play around 3 times a week - 2 practice sessions around 2hrs and a match night a week (occasionally i get coaching maybe once a month if i can afford it, but read lots on here and watch lots of youtube) and cant really play more with work and life.
I play local league (UK) in div 3 of 5 leagues around 50% win rate, so pretty much as average as average could be. Im cool with that I know I'm never going to be a pro but always want to get better, and want to play in the top division and be ok one day. I occasionally play in our other team in the higher league and do ok.
Ive been back playing just over 2 years (now 36) after playing a lot as a kid (till 18 or so), and do really enjoy the sport coming back. My biggest frustration though is not taking form into matches and usually feeling I haven't played my best or most of the time being out foxed.
The current league is a real mixed bag in terms of styles. Older guys on the way down, a-lot of pimple blockers at the table with all the skills and know-how to frustrate. And younger players on the way up - smashing everything that moves. The leagues above is predominantly all out attackers. I know of 2 modern defensive players that play well above, there are more defensive players but are blockers or choppers, without any real attacking shots.

Now I know by changing styles I wont be suddenly able to beat them but I don't know if the change in styles fits my skill set better? But at the same time im not 100% sure what I can do to be able to beat them apart from just get better! Maybe this is a too severe approach and I should just try and focus on being more dominant.

I have a good forehand loop and is spinny, and I'm pretty fit and can move well - certainly better than a lot in the league! My FH push needs work but is ok.
On the BH i tend to push or chop more - especially in games. I can open-up with it in practice but tend to play safer in games with it. Only really attacking with it in a counter way.

I guess what I mean is that usually I feel Im on the back foot and feeling rushed, I probably don't try and dominate enough as an attacker so if its natural of me to be a bit more defensive/cautious and to play away from the table would a different approach be worth trying?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Well it will be a huge advantage to have a good attacking game already.
That is most of the time a weak point of defender, they can only defend and not punish mistakes.

I myself, play very well against defenders because of my long experience, but I noticed that the young players all struggle against defenders.

They never learned to play against it and when they face one they don't know what to do most of the time.

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I recently changed from using an ALC inner blade with double inverted to a Yinhe 980XX Def blade, all-wood with H3 on FH and Dawei 388D-1 on BH. I don't think that I am a modern defender, because my overall game is still quite aggressive. More a "Modern Attender" perhaps. I have found that this has helped a lot against people with awkward styles (I also play local league in England). But I am much more confident, on my FH probably because of the speed reduction, and BH because of the LP. I can attack with the pips, but the conditions (ie the stroke from the opponent) have to be just right at the moment. I expect to build on this. I am able to set up for very aggressive FH more often. I may yet go back to double inverted, but the large head blade might be too heavy so that's a thought for the future. There are certain players agtainst whom the LP are of no use, as they do not use spin at all. BTW, I am in 4 th year of playing, and am nearly 70.

I think I'd recommend you try the change, but do not necessarily think you have to be a defender.

Reactions: jammmail