Trying new blade after Viscaria

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
Hello,

I recently played with an all-wood blade from a friend and I really loved the feeling of it.
I had a very good feedback and it was very linear (you get what you put in your shots).
My Viscaria is obviously an excellent blade but I feel like sometimes it is too "nervous" for me and I would like something more linear.
I read that the Butterfly Korbel is a good blade and may be interesting for what I am looking for, is it right ?
If I want to stay with ALC blade but more linear, is the DHS 301 a good alternative ?

Btw : I play with H3 on my FH and Tenergy 05 on my BH.

Thank you for your help !

Last edited:
I've korbel euro, korbel jp and donic otc (similar to vis).
Really enjoyed the korbel jp, 90g, good feedback, powerful enough for rallies. Compare to otc, my bh lacks the snappy feel & speed but I have better control overall. I normally go back to korbel if I haven't played for a month or 2, helps me pick up the game quicker.
Korbel euro I had was 88g but felt a lot lighter and lack power on some shots.

I use H3 for FH, and Rozena for BH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
He was using an old Chinese DHS wood, I don't know the reference but not fast enough for me. I just realized that I loved the feeling of an all-wood.
I just wanted to know if there is an alternative to the Viscaria : same speed but more linear and less "dynamic".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Wild guess, but it may be a thinner example of the old DHS 08/032 or derivatives (I happen to collect those).

If that's the case, you won't be able to replicate that kind of medium-hard, solid feel with a Korbel.

You can get close with a slightly heavier version of the Nittaku Septear or Xiom Hinoki S7 (if you can find one).

Korbel will be slower and feel much softer/hollow.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
He was using an old Chinese DHS wood, I don't know the reference but not fast enough for me. I just realized that I loved the feeling of an all-wood.
I just wanted to know if there is an alternative to the Viscaria : same speed but more linear and less "dynamic".

Stiga Clipper or Stiga Rosewood V might work. Those should be faster than Korbel and the should feel good and give you what you are looking for.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
Thank you for the answers, I considered the Stiga Clipper, I remember many of my partners in China used it but it was before the new balls. Will it be fast enough compared to Viscaria ?
About the inner carbon blade, is the DHS 301 a good candidate ? It is a top selling wood in China currently and I am curious about it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
A heavier and thicker Clipper can be as fast as a lower weight Viscaria. Look for one close to (or above) 7mm.

the 301s are much slower and don't feel like all wood at all.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A heavier and thicker Clipper can be as fast as a lower weight Viscaria. Look for one close to (or above) 7mm.

Unless you get one from the 90s, I think they are all 7mm these days. But perhaps you meant heavier, like over 92 grams. That would make it a faster Clipper. I also feel that is a perfect weight for a Clipper.

Reactions: lasta
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Unless you get one from the 90s, I think they are all 7mm these days. But perhaps you meant heavier, like over 92 grams. That would make it a faster Clipper. I also feel that is a perfect weight for a Clipper.

Are they? Maybe its time I revisit the ol clipper.

In the same vein, I can highly recommend Andro's CS7 Tour and Timber 7 OFF/S. Much better made than clippers and consistent across generations (I have 2, exactly 7mm, 1475hz). I would rate them higher than my old go-to Adidas Strike Wood 7, that says alot. Cheap too.

Wild guess, but it may be a thinner example of the old DHS 08/032 or derivatives (I happen to collect those).

If that's the case, you won't be able to replicate that kind of medium-hard, solid feel with a Korbel.

You can get close with a slightly heavier version of the Nittaku Septear or Xiom Hinoki S7 (if you can find one).

Korbel will be slower and feel much softer/hollow.

I dunno if the 08/032 dhs 60th anniversary blades are still available in fareastsports. Com

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I dunno if the 08/032 dhs 60th anniversary blades are still available in fareastsports. Com

I picked up one of those in China last year. IMO, they are sold for more than they are worth. You can get a better deal with "DHS N08S" with modern handles, same construction.

In any case, I didn't like those. I think the darker glue they use made the blade slower and "duller" than the old basswood blades from DHS and other brands (which you can still find if you scour ebay).

Trick is to find one in your preferred weight and thickness.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
If your looking for an allwood blade I can wholeheartedly recommend Joola TPE Nature. Craftsmanship and finish of Joola's TPE series is truly something special. Yogi recommended Xiom Offensive S - which I also have - and it is, indeed, a good blade. I much prefere the Joola's feeling, though. Same woods (limba and ayous) but with 7-ply, instead of 5-ply of Xiom.

If you can, give it a try. It is a brilliant blade.