Doubles Serve Tactics

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Normally short & chop trying the 2nd bounce stay at the table, generally avoid long services. Once done the stroke go rear to keep all the space close to the table to your partner. It's also important that the player isn't serving the ball can see all time the ball trajectory from exit your partner racquet till come back to you in that way you know where moves your partner so normally you can take the space let with your partner.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I find that as you get to the higher levels, serving mostly underspin low, tight, double bounce closer to the center "T" limits receive option the most.

I believe the main variation should be spin (change subtly to light and near dead) with similar wise placement.

I believe in the occasional change of the short placement.

I believe that a 10 to 20 percent portion of the serves should be suddenly unpredictably different like a fast deep serve with under, dead, and top.

That gives a good chance for the main serve to be effective.

You have to know your partner and what he or she does well and work to strrngths.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I find that as you get to the higher levels, serving mostly underspin low, tight, double bounce closer to the center "T" limits receive option the most.

I believe the main variation should be spin (change subtly to light and near dead) with similar wise placement.

I believe in the occasional change of the short placement.

I believe that a 10 to 20 percent portion of the serves should be suddenly unpredictably different like a fast deep serve with under, dead, and top.

That gives a good chance for the main serve to be effective.

You have to know your partner and what he or she does well and work to strrngths.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
I also go for short placement and backspin, so that the receiver can't simply wallop the ball (I am left-handed and too many of my partners serve fast and long so that the receiver can return fast and wide to my backhand side, meaning I can't reach the ball.)

Don't stand in the middle of the table to serve with your arse on your partner's side of the centre line (!!) - get over to the corner of the table and serve from there. If you intend to play doubles, serve backhand unless you have excellent forehand services and can play them from the right-hand corner; if you can't serve backhand, bloody well learn !!

Lastly, I often put sidespin on my serves to try to force the receiver to return the ball to my partner's side of the table. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's worth trying especially if the opposition seem happy to comply !