2020 US Olympic Team Trials

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
2020 US Olympic Table Tennis Trials - Santa Monica College, CA, February 27 - March 1, 2020

Results on OmniPong

Dominating performance by Xin Zhou. He's played 12 matches against some of the best in the US and lost only 1 game (to Sharon Alguetti). Still hasn't played Nikhil Kumar who also hasn't lost a match. Yijun Feng also impressive with only 1 loss in the final group (0-4 to Kumar, still hasn't played Zhou).

On the women's side Juan Liu (3 time Westchester winner) remains undefeated with one match left against Huijing Wang (only 1 loss).

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
2020 US Olympic Table Tennis Trials - Santa Monica College, CA, February 27 - March 1, 2020

Results on OmniPong

Dominating performance by Xin Zhou. He's played 12 matches against some of the best in the US and lost only 1 game (to Sharon Alguetti). Still hasn't played Nikhil Kumar who also hasn't lost a match. Yijun Feng also impressive with only 1 loss in the final group (0-4 to Kumar, still hasn't played Zhou).

On the women's side Juan Liu (3 time Westchester winner) remains undefeated with one match left against Huijing Wang (only 1 loss).

Given what you have posted above, you should have announced that the trials are over. Xin and Nikhil join Kanak on the men's side, Juan and Huijing join Lily on the women's side. The final matches won't affect the standings.

Reactions: Dr Evil
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thanks, didn't know that.

No problem. Maybe you missed that Xin beat Yijun already. But depends on which time you looked at the sheet I guess. But the women's side is interesting that two formerly retired penholders come back to make the national team. The kids largely didn't know what to do with them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
No problem. Maybe you missed that Xin beat Yijun already. But depends on which time you looked at the sheet I guess. But the women's side is interesting that two formerly retired penholders come back to make the national team. The kids largely didn't know what to do with them.
Last matches not yet posted on OmniPong. Interesting results. Don't know much about Huijing, but Juan Liu is just great. Doesn't seem like a surprise that she qualified. I wonder how Xin Zhou will do against Kanak.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Last matches not yet posted on OmniPong. Interesting results. Don't know much about Huijing, but Juan Liu is just great. Doesn't seem like a surprise that she qualified. I wonder how Xin Zhou will do against Kanak.

Huijing was close to the same level as Liu in the early 2010s. Kanak would likely beat Xin if Nikhil's performance vs Xin says anything. That said, Nikhil and Xin were a good doubles pairing vs Wang Zhen and Hongtao Chen of Canada. So it is not a bad thing to have them together as Xin is clearly an upgrade over Nick Tio and Nikhil is a stalwart of the team. That Victor Liu didn't play though is surprising and unfortunate - maybe an injury?

Reactions: Dr Evil
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Forgive my ignorance because I'm not familiar with the US TT Team but what's the rationale behind basing the Olympics line-up entirely on the outcome of the trials? It seems to ignore team dynamics? Have Lily Zhang, Liu Juan and Wang Huijing ever played together for team events, particularly Doubles? There also seems to be a rigid manner of determining the female player for the Mixed Doubles event, "The #3 player will only play in the Team event and in Mixed Doubles.". It will be the third team player for sure? I'm a little bemused.

I got most (if not all) of my information from this report: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-T...pic-Trials--Womens-Stage-2-Final-Three-Rounds & https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-T...lympic-Trials-Mens-Stage-2-Final-Three-Rounds

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Forgive my ignorance because I'm not familiar with the US TT Team but what's the rationale behind basing the Olympics line-up entirely on the outcome of the trials? It seems to ignore team dynamics? Have Lily Zhang, Liu Juan and Wang Huijing ever played together for team events, particularly Doubles? There also seems to be a rigid manner of determining the female player for the Mixed Doubles event, "The #3 player will only play in the Team event and in Mixed Doubles.". It will be the third team player for sure? I'm a little bemused.

I got most (if not all) of my information from this report: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-T...pic-Trials--Womens-Stage-2-Final-Three-Rounds & https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-T...lympic-Trials-Mens-Stage-2-Final-Three-Rounds

America is a country where people want a strong perception of fairness and individual determination. There were arguments for a long time over how the last HPD wanted to select the 2nd and 3rd spots, so eventually, the criteria were changed to reduce discretion and increase the objectivity and equal access, which boiled down to making the trial results determine almost everything.

I don't think they have firmly determined the mixed doubles, I think they are just stating that as the opportunity the 3rd player has.

Reactions: Janard