• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest


    Results 1 to 10 of 10
    1. Top | #1
      Dr Evil is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: United States


      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Posts
      172
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 185 Times in 98 Posts

      2020 US Olympic Team Trials

      2020 US Olympic Table Tennis Trials - Santa Monica College, CA, February 27 - March 1, 2020

      Results on OmniPong

      Dominating performance by Xin Zhou. He's played 12 matches against some of the best in the US and lost only 1 game (to Sharon Alguetti). Still hasn't played Nikhil Kumar who also hasn't lost a match. Yijun Feng also impressive with only 1 loss in the final group (0-4 to Kumar, still hasn't played Zhou).

      On the women's side Juan Liu (3 time Westchester winner) remains undefeated with one match left against Huijing Wang (only 1 loss).

    2. The Following User Likes Dr Evil's Post:

      NextLevel (03-01-2020)

    3. Top | #2
      NextLevel is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Mazunov
      Forehand Rubber C-1
      Backhand Rubber MX-S/C-1

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      8,996
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 13,289 Times in 5,937 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
      2020 US Olympic Table Tennis Trials - Santa Monica College, CA, February 27 - March 1, 2020

      Results on OmniPong

      Dominating performance by Xin Zhou. He's played 12 matches against some of the best in the US and lost only 1 game (to Sharon Alguetti). Still hasn't played Nikhil Kumar who also hasn't lost a match. Yijun Feng also impressive with only 1 loss in the final group (0-4 to Kumar, still hasn't played Zhou).

      On the women's side Juan Liu (3 time Westchester winner) remains undefeated with one match left against Huijing Wang (only 1 loss).
      Given what you have posted above, you should have announced that the trials are over. Xin and Nikhil join Kanak on the men's side, Juan and Huijing join Lily on the women's side. The final matches won't affect the standings.
      Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    4. The Following User Likes NextLevel's Post:

      Dr Evil (03-01-2020)

    5. Top | #3
      Dr Evil is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: United States


      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Posts
      172
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 185 Times in 98 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      Given what you have posted above, you should have announced that the trials are over. Xin and Nikhil join Kanak on the men's side, Juan and Huijing join Lily on the women's side. The final matches won't affect the standings.
      Thanks, didn't know that.

    6. Top | #4
      NextLevel is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Mazunov
      Forehand Rubber C-1
      Backhand Rubber MX-S/C-1

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      8,996
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 13,289 Times in 5,937 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
      Thanks, didn't know that.
      No problem. Maybe you missed that Xin beat Yijun already. But depends on which time you looked at the sheet I guess. But the women's side is interesting that two formerly retired penholders come back to make the national team. The kids largely didn't know what to do with them.

    7. Top | #5
      Dr Evil is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: United States


      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Posts
      172
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 185 Times in 98 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      No problem. Maybe you missed that Xin beat Yijun already. But depends on which time you looked at the sheet I guess. But the women's side is interesting that two formerly retired penholders come back to make the national team. The kids largely didn't know what to do with them.
      Last matches not yet posted on OmniPong. Interesting results. Don't know much about Huijing, but Juan Liu is just great. Doesn't seem like a surprise that she qualified. I wonder how Xin Zhou will do against Kanak.

    8. Top | #6
      NextLevel is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Mazunov
      Forehand Rubber C-1
      Backhand Rubber MX-S/C-1

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      8,996
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 13,289 Times in 5,937 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
      Last matches not yet posted on OmniPong. Interesting results. Don't know much about Huijing, but Juan Liu is just great. Doesn't seem like a surprise that she qualified. I wonder how Xin Zhou will do against Kanak.
      Huijing was close to the same level as Liu in the early 2010s. Kanak would likely beat Xin if Nikhil's performance vs Xin says anything. That said, Nikhil and Xin were a good doubles pairing vs Wang Zhen and Hongtao Chen of Canada. So it is not a bad thing to have them together as Xin is clearly an upgrade over Nick Tio and Nikhil is a stalwart of the team. That Victor Liu didn't play though is surprising and unfortunate - maybe an injury?

    9. The Following User Likes NextLevel's Post:

      Dr Evil (03-02-2020)

    10. Top | #7
      alas26 is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Nittaku Acoustic C.Pen
      Forehand Rubber DHS Skyline 2 TG NEO
      Backhand Rubber DHS Skyline 2 TG NEO

      Join Date
      Jul 2018
      Posts
      180
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
      Were any of these matches streamed anywhere?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    11. Top | #8
      Janard is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: Singapore


      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Posts
      829
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,237 Times in 568 Posts
      Forgive my ignorance because I'm not familiar with the US TT Team but what's the rationale behind basing the Olympics line-up entirely on the outcome of the trials? It seems to ignore team dynamics? Have Lily Zhang, Liu Juan and Wang Huijing ever played together for team events, particularly Doubles? There also seems to be a rigid manner of determining the female player for the Mixed Doubles event, "The #3 player will only play in the Team event and in Mixed Doubles.". It will be the third team player for sure? I'm a little bemused.

      I got most (if not all) of my information from this report: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Te...l-Three-Rounds & https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Te...l-Three-Rounds

    12. Top | #9
      NextLevel is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Mazunov
      Forehand Rubber C-1
      Backhand Rubber MX-S/C-1

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      8,996
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 13,289 Times in 5,937 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Janard View Post
      Forgive my ignorance because I'm not familiar with the US TT Team but what's the rationale behind basing the Olympics line-up entirely on the outcome of the trials? It seems to ignore team dynamics? Have Lily Zhang, Liu Juan and Wang Huijing ever played together for team events, particularly Doubles? There also seems to be a rigid manner of determining the female player for the Mixed Doubles event, "The #3 player will only play in the Team event and in Mixed Doubles.". It will be the third team player for sure? I'm a little bemused.

      I got most (if not all) of my information from this report: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Te...l-Three-Rounds & https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Te...l-Three-Rounds
      America is a country where people want a strong perception of fairness and individual determination. There were arguments for a long time over how the last HPD wanted to select the 2nd and 3rd spots, so eventually, the criteria were changed to reduce discretion and increase the objectivity and equal access, which boiled down to making the trial results determine almost everything.

      I don't think they have firmly determined the mixed doubles, I think they are just stating that as the opportunity the 3rd player has.

    13. The Following User Likes NextLevel's Post:

      Janard (03-02-2020)

    14. Top | #10
      Dr Evil is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: United States


      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Posts
      172
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 185 Times in 98 Posts
      Final match, final game (Kumar vs Zhou):

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    Log in or Register
    BACK TO TOP