Qatar Open 2020

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Samsonov played great. Have to think Lin Gaoyuan's chance for getting selected for major events such as WTTTC and WTTC is getting really slim with the incoming young generation, and others such as Liang Jingkun establishing places as stalwarts of the main team.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Samsonov played great. Have to think Lin Gaoyuan's chance for getting selected for major events such as WTTTC and WTTC is getting really slim with the incoming young generation, and others such as Liang Jingkun establishing places as stalwarts of the main team.

Yeah Wang Chuqin will replacing him as #5. But he is still on the A team and ready to jump in should anyone retire or slip. Other than Xiang Peng, none of the other juniors are showing special promise.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Yeah Wang Chuqin will replacing him as #5. But he is still on the A team and ready to jump in should anyone retire or slip. Other than Xiang Peng, none of the other juniors are showing special promise.

I haven't seen much personally but I am told that there are high hopes internally for Xu Ying Bin - still a few years away though. Wang Chuqin for sure will be taking priority soon if he hasn't already.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Samsonov just beat two top CNT lefties in a row. Yet some of us want him to retire already and compare him to Fang Bo. Shaking my head....

He set the ship right too when it comes to Cassin, after the recent upset (I read somewhere, even two in a row against him?) he adapted like the champ he is, in this tournament. Not even close. A walking encyclopedia of table tennis, poise and respect - hell of a guy, and may it continue.

In other news... Allez Simon!

TTW

This user has no status.

TTW

This user has no status.
Jan 2020
All the people who can beat Ma Long are wearing Chinese or Chinese Taipei uniforms. That is my strong opinion.
Possible that they can challenge the dragon. But the way he won with such accurate shots, I doubt anyone else will win this. Fan looked a bit worried.

I feel either Ma long or Xu Xin are going for title.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Fun fact:

Xiang Peng has failed to get past prelim in the World Tour 5 times in a row now. Xu Yingbin sets his personal best of 8 times in a row.

OTOH, we laugh at Harimoto for 1st-round exits. :cool:

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Fun fact:

Xiang Peng has failed to get past prelim in the World Tour 5 times in a row now. Xu Yingbin sets his personal best of 8 times in a row.

OTOH, we laugh at Harimoto for 1st-round exits. :cool:

Xu Yingbin against Wang Yang (and the scores!!), of all people. Wang has got to become the TTD mascot, or something. Power to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel

Liang Jingkun's situation is not much better. He has so many bad performances and some moments of complete loss of control when under pressure. Some examples in the past year or 2 include being demolished 0-4 against Jang Woojin in a final, Jun Mizutani, Cho Seungmin, Jeoung Youngsik (nearly lost twice), among others. Now, Wang Chuqin could definitely rise up over Liang and Lin and take a larger role on the CNT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Liang Jingkun's situation is not much better. He has so many bad performances and some moments of complete loss of control when under pressure. Some examples in the past year or 2 include being demolished 0-4 against Jang Woojin in a final, Jun Mizutani, Cho Seungmin, Jeoung Youngsik (nearly lost twice), among others. Now, Wang Chuqin could definitely rise up over Liang and Lin and take a larger role on the CNT.

Yeah Wang Chuqin is the one I really meant to call out by name, but I thought he kind of still falls into the also mentioned "young generation" group. Either way, Lin has gotten a little bit better at not being the biggest choker of all time but it is still clear he struggles in closing out matches in the clutch and he also has one of the less dominant games among the CNT men - his speed is essentially a one trick pony, if you can handle that you have a good chance as his shot quality is much lesser than most others on the CNT. And that's not some Youtube analysis, I've seen them live. I think that LJK still has a little more benefit of the doubt but that part is just a guess.

Jan 2018
https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2020-03-06/doc-iimxxstf6845408.shtml
  庄智渊继德公赛、T联赛后连续三次“拆摩托”,三场比赛张本智和每次都只拿到了两局胜利。谈到取胜原因,庄智渊淡淡的总结道:“前三板有变化牵制。他反手上风,但自己还可以(在反手上)有点作为”。

你以为光凭这两点就能连赢张本三次?当然不是,看淡输赢的心态才是庄智渊取胜的关键。经历起伏后的庄智渊说现在的自己不追求成绩,只希望打出最好状态,“年龄大了,回归初心”。
Talking about the reasons behind the win, CCY summed it up faintly: "Variations in the 3rd ball to keep him in check. He has the upper hand in BH, but there's still something I can manage (on the BH)."

You think you can beat Harimoto 3 times in a row with these 2 points? Of course not, a nonchalant attitude is the key to CCY's victory. Through the ups and downs, CCY said that now he does not go after results, but only hopes to play to the best of him, "Age has caught up and time to return to my origin."

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Chinese ladies doubles teams have really dropped the ball as of lately, seems Japanese pairs going from Strength to Strength while Chinese ladies just going in expecting to win but getting beat.