Coaching tips for very young players 5-7 years

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Following on from mlax's post ( rubber & blades for 5 year olds) I'd like to ask for any tips/drills for coaching this 5-7 age group. I want to do more fun exercises with my son and his friend (age 6) but they have very short attention spans and as soon as we move on to something new/move away from the table they can easily lose interest. The boys also stand on a platform, side by side, one doing FH and the other BH drive multiball. With both of them on the platform it's hard to do anything regarding footwork though we do by shadowing or ocassionally alternating turns, if their attention span allows. So far as mentioned its just been FH & BH drives plus learning to serve, maybe repetition is best I just want to ease in something to challenge the boys or get them ţo be creative. Please respond with any thoughts.

Just be creative and make the exercise fun. I do agree that you cannot really make any advance c0aching on them unless they are into the sport that deep. I also saw 5 to 7 y.o. and also coached a few ones which are already doing complicated drills like random bh-fh and looping against underspin. Just introduce a stroke in a fun way and make them short. Also, let them try hitting or landing the ball on a target. It will be fun for them.

Reactions: KMTT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
coachng a six year who shows no clue or interest in doing things properly just enjoys hitting ball hard anywhere.
:-
lesson 1
get a bowl or box used for multiball
place on one side of table
go to other side of table and bounce the ball on table and hit the ball into the box (practise before
hand so you can be sure of succeeding within a few attempts)
invite kid to try, maybe guide his hand till he is getting close. when he does high 5 etc. then move the target to different place and go again. make it a competition.
there is no need to require a tt like stroke. kid is learning for himself that he can get a result by controlling how hard to hit the ball and where

Reactions: KMTT