Why do pros boost rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Hi,

My question is why do pros choose very hard rubbers and then boost it to make it little softer and have better feeling?

Why can’t they just choose softer versions and not boost at all?

Is it Cz boosting makes the rubber soft and they choose hard rubbers so that even after boosting they get the hardness that they like but also have benefits of boosting i.e. increased spin and speed?

Please share your experiences.Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
There are some players, that have expanded knowledge, but I want to add something too.

Point about softer rubbers does not really work, since softer rubbers are slower. Tenergy 05 FX does not equal boosted Tenergy 05, conversely the boosted 05 is much much faster than the unboosted one, with better spin and especially feel. Somehow when you have 2 same rubbers, boosted and unboosted, the second one would feel dead when hiting ball. So it can sometimes be more controlable though being faster at the same time.

It get´s me to the second point, which I already mentioned, and it is increased speed and spin. On the World Tour topspins "must" fly very fast, otherwise you would not stand a chance. And more spin is always better option.

Third point, that I read somewhere, I´m pretty sure Petr Korbel said that, is that without boosted rubber, table tennis is much harder. That means, with so much training units, players over burden their muscles and joints. Even though softer rubbers might be easier to play, they are not as fast as needed, therefore top players boost harder rubbers. Imagine having Sriver and playing with it strong swing topspins. Imagine the very same thing, just with speed glued Sriver. Much easier play, yet rubber is still same, just with some improvements. Now we are in the speed glue effect era with modern rubbers, but the principle stays the same. We have now even harder rubbers than ever before, such as 05 Hard, Xiom Omega Jing/Jang, Rhyzer 50 etc.

And one more mention at the end, I again read somewhere, but do not take it too seriously. I guess it was mentioned at some Chinese Weibo or somewhere. That said, when Ma Long lost to Timo Boll at 2008 World Cup, it was because he had badly boosted rubbers. They were not perhaps to fast, or were to mushy. Does not have to be true, but boosting is somehow complex method, that can be messed up.

Cheers

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Hey Chang,
You explained everything in such great detail.Thanks a lot. So basically if I like the hardness of maybe tenergy 05,I can boost tenergy 05 hard nicely.I will get hardness like tenergy 05 but much greater speed,Spin and feeling.
Thanks again wonderfully explained

If the softer rubber will be compressed for. Extra kick it will bottom out compared to the harder rubber when sufficient force is applied. Imagine that when you boost both rubbers and both will soften significantly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
Zhou Yu had situation when he played with Someone and he did everything to change the paddle.
Too much booster and the Ball is going down.
Chinese players have personal boosted rubbers + they have strong booster when they glue them to blade

This user has no status.
When you boost a rubber, the sponge thickness and the topsheet tension will increase both (the hardness will decrease), that's why a t05 boosted isn't a t05 "fx" because they have not the same topsheet tension and thickness. When you increase the thickness and the tension, the ball will go faster with more spin, the softness will give you the control and make your opening easier.
The downside of boosting is that you have to boost often to keep the same level of power... and consistency.

Reactions: Chang
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
None of Japanese boosting, Boosting is an obnoxious habit, much like smoking herbs or frigging your fist while inside toilet cabin.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
So, does boosting has similar effect to using a thicker rubber? e.g a boosted 1.9mm Tenergy 05 becomes (roughly) a non boosted T05 2.1?!
So you would really only boost 'Max' sponges?

No. Boosting have the exact effect using more or less thicker rubber but the feeling is more accused with thicker rubbers.