Good forehand rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Hey all,

A while ago i bought the xiom Icecream AZXi blade. I found my perfect match for the backhand (d05) but for my forehand im still looking. I come from a Timo Boll alc with boosted t05 and loved it. I loved that, even when i was out of position, i could grace the ball and get it comfortably over the net with a big arc. However with this xiom blade i was no longer able to generatie a high arc with tenergy. I then bought a dhs h3n and boosted it. Im now able to generate the high arc i want, however something (and i cant put my finger on what it is) doesn't feel right. I dont think this rubber fits me, even though my spins are very deadly at the moment i just dont enjoy the rubber like i did my old t05. I think this might be due to the spongehardness.. ? Not sure though, but i thought h3n was a lot harder than t05.

I was wondering if you had some ideas what might be a good option for me. I myself was thinking of tibhar mxs, the xiom omega line (dont know which would be best) and the andro R series (basically just because i love the green sponge colour). Do you think one of these would fit my playstyle better, or do you have a suggestion on what i could look into.
Would love to hear your guys' thoughts!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
you might need to accomodate to rubbers that are harder than T05 if you want to make high arc shots using your new blade. I recently gave advice to someone in a similar situation, who had a Schlager Carbon with T05fx and the arc was very low, so I recommended him harder rubbers, which fixed his issue. So if hurricane (50-56 deg) was a bit too hard and T05 (47 deg) too soft, then maybe you should look at high arc rubbers around 50 degree. But usuallly the german made rubbers feel softer anyway because the topsheet is mostly softer than hurricane or tenergy, so you can probably get away with something slightly over 50 degree.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
you might need to accomodate to rubbers that are harder than T05 if you want to make high arc shots using your new blade. I recently gave advice to someone in a similar situation, who had a Schlager Carbon with T05fx and the arc was very low, so I recommended him harder rubbers, which fixed his issue. So if hurricane (50-56 deg) was a bit too hard and T05 (47 deg) too soft, then maybe you should look at high arc rubbers around 50 degree. But usuallly the german made rubbers feel softer anyway because the topsheet is mostly softer than hurricane or tenergy, so you can probably get away with something slightly over 50 degree.

For most topspinning players, this is still a setup ripe for high arching topspin shots. (Schlager Carbon and 05FX)

Still, If one makes mostly solid impact by habit, then it would be a low throw laser setup... any setup would be low throw for the hard hitters.

There are two brothers, one 1900+, one 1700+ California level in my area who come to mind immediately. They cannot spell the word spin and have been playing too many decades to hear it. They are great at whacking the ball full force with little spin.

If you watch them play around with each other, you would be amazed at their ability to maintain fast flat hard hitting rallies both at the table and a step or two away going for BROKE.

Some players play that way, so the setup could be low throw... in my hands, for the top spin shots I do, it would be high throw all the way.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
For most topspinning players, this is still a setup ripe for high arching topspin shots. (Schlager Carbon and 05FX)

Still, If one makes mostly solid impact by habit, then it would be a low throw laser setup... any setup would be low throw for the hard hitters.

There are two brothers, one 1900+, one 1700+ California level in my area who come to mind immediately. They cannot spell the word spin and have been playing too many decades to hear it. They are great at whacking the ball full force with little spin.

If you watch them play around with each other, you would be amazed at their ability to maintain fast flat hard hitting rallies both at the table and a step or two away going for BROKE.

Some players play that way, so the setup could be low throw... in my hands, for the top spin shots I do, it would be high throw all the way.

you make a good point, that I sadly cannot agree with, as long as humidity exists.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Haha HUMIDITY, makes me remember my Korea days. High Humidity so favored the direct hitters, which was 95% of the Korean population at the time. I so hated on Humidity as most of my shots are high spin shots.

I have learned with time that my FH is just not very good with hard sponged rubbers, unless it is strong counterlooping. Since that is not the number one shot I do, softer sponged dynamic modern rubbers are for me, medium firmness is about as hard as I can go for my all-round tendencies.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Joola Dynaryz AGR is what you are looking for.

On what basis do you think this would fit me? i read your review on this rubber and noticed you called it faster than tenergy05 and with a slightly lower arc. Dont get me wrong, the purple sponge is lovely to see. But i think i might have the same issues with that rubber as i have with the tenergy rubbers, no?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018

Maybe my information is wrong, but i thought the hardness of tenergy05 was 36, making it a lot softer than hurricane.
Also (and correct me if im wrong), wouldnt a harder rubber make the shots more direct and therefore lower arc? this is why i was thinking of softer sponges, maybe something like R37. If my thought process here is completely off feel free to correct me!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Why not just choose 39degree H3N? If still too hard, 1-2 layers of booster should give you plenty of feel.

Hey all,

A while ago i bought the xiom Icecream AZXi blade. I found my perfect match for the backhand (d05) but for my forehand im still looking. I come from a Timo Boll alc with boosted t05 and loved it. I loved that, even when i was out of position, i could grace the ball and get it comfortably over the net with a big arc. However with this xiom blade i was no longer able to generatie a high arc with tenergy. I then bought a dhs h3n and boosted it. Im now able to generate the high arc i want, however something (and i cant put my finger on what it is) doesn't feel right. I dont think this rubber fits me, even though my spins are very deadly at the moment i just dont enjoy the rubber like i did my old t05. I think this might be due to the spongehardness.. ? Not sure though, but i thought h3n was a lot harder than t05.

I was wondering if you had some ideas what might be a good option for me. I myself was thinking of tibhar mxs, the xiom omega line (dont know which would be best) and the andro R series (basically just because i love the green sponge colour). Do you think one of these would fit my playstyle better, or do you have a suggestion on what i could look into.
Would love to hear your guys' thoughts!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Maybe my information is wrong, but i thought the hardness of tenergy05 was 36, making it a lot softer than hurricane.
Also (and correct me if im wrong), wouldnt a harder rubber make the shots more direct and therefore lower arc? this is why i was thinking of softer sponges, maybe something like R37. If my thought process here is completely off feel free to correct me!

Butterfly and DHS use a different scale than the german based ESN, I merely converted everything to ESN scale.
In Butterfly and DHS terms, T05 is 36, and hurricane is 39-41. So I suggested something in between, around 37-39, or 48-51 in ESN terms. If you can only get random hardness, hurricane is not a good idea.

For throw it depends on your average impact strenght, but what ends up happening with soft rubbers and fast blades is that you get a lot of acceleration before the topsheet can even grab the ball sufficiently. If you can loop very thinly, ok, but try to counterloop very thinly? not exactly possible. hard rubbers need better technique, but can give longer and higher throw (I assume due to the topsheet being squeezed more before the sponge applies speed)

On what basis do you think this would fit me? i read your review on this rubber and noticed you called it faster than tenergy05 and with a slightly lower arc. Dont get me wrong, the purple sponge is lovely to see. But i think i might have the same issues with that rubber as i have with the tenergy rubbers, no?

You can always get the 2.0mm version. Also, the control and spin insensitivity is much better than t05

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Butterfly and DHS use a different scale than the german based ESN, I merely converted everything to ESN scale.
In Butterfly and DHS terms, T05 is 36, and hurricane is 39-41. So I suggested something in between, around 37-39, or 48-51 in ESN terms. If you can only get random hardness, hurricane is not a good idea.

For throw it depends on your average impact strenght, but what ends up happening with soft rubbers and fast blades is that you get a lot of acceleration before the topsheet can even grab the ball sufficiently. If you can loop very thinly, ok, but try to counterloop very thinly? not exactly possible. hard rubbers need better technique, but can give longer and higher throw (I assume due to the topsheet being squeezed more before the sponge applies speed)

Okay so what youre saying is that even though a hard rubber is more direct, because it has a better ability to grip the ball its able to give a higher throw arc? ive been looking at the moment for softer rubbers. I found the Gewo NanoFlex FT40 and Stiga Airoc S, both soft rubbers (and on sale at local stores). I was thinking that the reduced sponge hardness would allow for more dwell and better spin and a higher arc. But if its correct what youre saying i should be looking at harder rubbers to generate more spin and a better arc?

Okay so what youre saying is that even though a hard rubber is more direct, because it has a better ability to grip the ball its able to give a higher throw arc? ive been looking at the moment for softer rubbers. I found the Gewo NanoFlex FT40 and Stiga Airoc S, both soft rubbers (and on sale at local stores). I was thinking that the reduced sponge hardness would allow for more dwell and better spin and a higher arc. But if its correct what youre saying i should be looking at harder rubbers to generate more spin and a better arc?
Airoc has a low arc, better to use Sriga DNA M or S instead. VEGA Japan is what I am biased suggesting.