Affordable robots

says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
Apr 2019
Hello,
With the prospect of being at home for a while, I just started considering the idea of buying a TT robot. I have the luxury of owning an outdoor TT table, but I only use it very sporadically - in the summer when the British weather allows, when previous days have been reasonably dry and my garden soil is not quicksand, and when I’m not too busy with work.

Perhaps the table could make an early appearance this year, I could play with my son and my wife... and perhaps buy a robot for my own enjoyment.

My coach sometimes trains me with his butterfly robot, and I enjoy that, but it’s an expensive piece of kit. I know the robot will have a scarse use and I cannot justify that expense. I would also store it in a humid shed so I would not want to buy something expensive that would eventually rust and break.

Looking at eBay I noticed some dual motor, cheap enough robots (like this HP-07 thing) and I’m wondering if these are total rubbish, you-get-what-you-paid-for type of thing, or if they are good enough for some solo training.

Anyone who has experience with robots that are below the £300 mark, please let me know what you think. I’m highly suspicious.

Thanks and keep great care of yourself!
A.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I would say, if you are not willing to at least go for the price of one of those Newgy TT robots with the net to catch the balls, so the balls get fed back to the robot, then you should just get a gross of balls and do self hitting things like this:

And serve practice.

That exercise I am doing in that video, you can do it with FH and BH. Letting the ball bounce twice instead of once means you don't have to rush and can time your contact. If you watch, the way I am dropping the ball means the ball is actually moving towards me, although slowly.

But with something like that you can really work on the form of your strokes. And serve practice really does increase your level faster than anything else since not so many people get a chance to do hours of serve practice. Those who do, see quickly, why it makes your level go up pretty fast. :)

PS: those butterfly robots are pretty amazing and well worth it when money is not an object. But when it is, there are always workarounds.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Great advices as always, thanks Carl.
Your double bounce exercise is very useful and indeed, I am looking forward to long sessions practicing the serve, no one does it, true.I was looking at the newgy 2050 earlier.. seems decent.

They are delicate and you do need to learn how to tech them to get things like dust and hair out of the motors which just happens if you use them. But that would probably work fine.

If you do get a robot, I would say it would be worth not getting the absolute least expensive version.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I have developed one. I'm planning on adding features that are not available on any other robot and want to make this an affordable robot. We already have an option to record while you are playing to check your technique.

Reactions: Andre74
Apr 2019
Thanks Simas, great reference!But I have a dust allergy so I prefer not to beat the cushions of my sofa. De-forestation of the garden done, tomorrow I’ll get the table out and train my son up a bit and then spend sometime developing some sick serve... still tempted to look for a robot, or the rebound board is a really cool alternative. I think a simple wooden board, perhaps with legs, could do, without the need for a mechanism to change the angle.. just change the angle by moving it closer or further away from the table.
My only concern would possibly be the noise it could make!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks Simas, great reference!But I have a dust allergy so I prefer not to beat the cushions of my sofa. De-forestation of the garden done, tomorrow I’ll get the table out and train my son up a bit and then spend sometime developing some sick serve... still tempted to look for a robot, or the rebound board is a really cool alternative. I think a simple wooden board, perhaps with legs, could do, without the need for a mechanism to change the angle.. just change the angle by moving it closer or further away from the table.
My only concern would possibly be the noise it could make!

If you use a blank board, you should know, it will likely act like Anti-Spin. So, if you hit topspin at it, it will return backspin.

If you give it backspin, unless it is really hard hit backspin, the ball will likely not come back unless the board is closer to the net than the enplane of the other side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
IMG_20200328_113028_862.jpg
IMG_20200328_113028_847.jpg
IMG_20200328_113028_837.jpg

Home made TT robot. How cool is that? :cool: