Pendulum Serve in 3 Steps (VIDEO)

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Hi all,

Figured since I'm stuck at home for the foreseeable future - I would haul a table out and move some furniture around so I could make some small videos. The first one is 3 steps to learning the basic foundations for the reverse pendulum serve. Hope some of you find it useful!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Sooooo... and after the serve, your weight is on your dominant-hand side leg, so you need to hop into position whilst and at the same time recovering handle grip. Hmm.

What do you mean weight on dominant-hand side leg?
I believe that is incorrect; your weight is on your non-dominant leg, and you push yourself with that leg aswell

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
In the rocking motion, weight is on leg B, then transferred to leg A upon ball contact. From there, you need to go to neutral stance, with bat high in normal grip. Right?

No. Wrong. Weight is shifted from B to a before, and transferred back upon ball contact. Ready position from there.

Last edited:
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
In the rocking motion, weight is on leg B, then transferred to leg A upon ball contact. From there, you need to go to neutral stance, with bat high in normal grip. Right?

No. Wrong. Weight is shifted from B to a before, and transferred back upon ball contact. Ready position from there.

In that sense it is no different to any other serve, your body weight always comes down on your non dominant leg when serving, it's not going to be the other way around.

Reactions: yoass
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Non-dominant leg is forward, same leg as the arm holding the ball for the toss is forward. When you rock forward, the weight is on the leg that is forward which is the non-dominant leg. That actually helps you pop back and out and into position for the third ball. And, like Matt said, that is the same leg where the weight would be after contact in any FH serve.

Further, the rock forward leads right into the momentum to turn, take the dominant foot from behind and into place to receive FH or BH (ready position). The motion of rocking forward should simply lead you right into the stance so you are ready for the third ball. On a regular pendulum, the rotation of the torso also helps with that transition.

I remember Erol Young (Jamaican/Chinese Crazy Coach :D, who coached Tahl Leibovitz and Dave Fernandez) showing that movement over and over, and showing how the momentum from the movement of the serve lead you right into your ready position for the third ball attack.

And if he taught anything, he taught the third ball attack. Well, he taught the second ball attack as well. In training, he wanted you to attack everything no matter what. That was before ZJK and the BH flip and long before when everyone started doing that. So, before top pros started realizing how they could really attack all the over the table serves, he was training his students to do that. :) Which is part of why we called him Crazy Coach. He was eccentric. But he was ahead of the times. :)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Errol Young is Jamaican.
There's a reason why the country's national motto is "Out of many, one people"

When he spelled his name for me, he used one R: Erol. Which is why I spelled it that way even though it was weird. But that does not mean that is correct. I am just spelling it how, if my memory serves me, he had me spell it. And yes, he was Jamaican through and through. I have not seen him in about 6 years. But I first met him in 1991, when Dave and Tahl were about 13 years old.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I wasn't paying any attn to the speling.

No worries. The spelling you used is the spelling I had expected back then, which is why I have a memory of it.

He was a unique coach.

And I did not mean to distinguish between one kind of Jamaican and another. He would have agreed with your point as well. Just, a lot of people (not from Jamaica) would not know what I was talking about saying he was Jamaican unless they heard him speak. And then, there was no question that he was Jamaican through and through. :) So, your point was well taken and I did not mean any disrespect.

Last edited: