MHTableTennis Tutorial Videos

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
MHTT Service Tutorial Videos

Hi all, figured I'd make one thread instead of lots. I'm hoping to start the initial phase with a collection of Service Masterclass videos.

I try and make these more like seminars and take some more time to explain things and go over important parts so there is often more talking than action. Would love feedback of course on whether you all like that style.

Latest uploads from the top down! :)

Last edited:
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Very cool stuff! I think especially adults love technical advice like this. You talking about trade secrets made me all wiggly to play now! Rly looking forward to more stuff :)

PS: You gotta be aware of the goon squad giving out those secrets. Is Carl here?

Don't worry those guys know where to find me on any normal day if they need intel haha

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I always get berated by other coaches in the club for spending the time to explain concepts before going into them. Glad to see another on the planet is at least a little like me.

Keep strong MaTT...

I prefer to articulate and make sure people can understand what I want them to do so I don't have to spend more energy later trying to undo things they are trying to do figuring it out for themselves :D

Cheers TroubleMaker!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
backspin serve
hi matt
good tutorial

just one thing you could have mentioned is that in order to get the ball to turn you are slightly dropping the head of the racket to introduce a little sidespin, which in turn means the backspin is slightly weaker.
maybe you could do a session which illustrates left turn right turn and straight back and the subtle change from horizontal of the racket for each
keep them coming!

Reactions: Matt Hetherington
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Also maybe a very loose suggestion would be showing effect of technique changes demonstrated by how ball reacts on returnboard. The difference in trajectory on table is nice and showy, but i've returned some of serves that weren't spectucular, but when someone received them passively ball flew into the abyss.

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Also I would to see some videos about improving service receive (that is a thing that I suck at still). Also I would love to see some videos about footwork, since that would be a thing that is practiceable in this harsh time.

Thanks for the suggestions, obviously on Day 12 in complete isolation I can't get my hands on a return board, and also I don't have a practice partner or robot to focus on serve receive. Footwork definitely an option and physical training exercises.

Thanks for the feedback!

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
backspin serve
hi matt
good tutorial

just one thing you could have mentioned is that in order to get the ball to turn you are slightly dropping the head of the racket to introduce a little sidespin, which in turn means the backspin is slightly weaker.
maybe you could do a session which illustrates left turn right turn and straight back and the subtle change from horizontal of the racket for each
keep them coming!

That's a great point and i'm all into subtle mechanics with table tennis because they make a huge difference and are often overlooked!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
New video is very useful, although I would suggest laying slow motion videos next to each other horizontally (synchronized on ball contact) so the difference is easier to see (although I assume everyone who was watching the video from the beginning already knows the gist).

PS:
Thanks for the suggestions, obviously on Day 12 in complete isolation I can't get my hands on a return board, and also I don't have a practice partner or robot to focus on serve receive.
You can always duct tape spare bat to the table or make a return table from old rubbers if you have spare time.

Best wishes in time of isolation. I really enjoy depth of your videos. If you want to help with editing I can lend you my hand, I am no expert but I've done some in my days of youth.

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
New video is very useful, although I would suggest laying slow motion videos next to each other horizontally (synchronized on ball contact) so the difference is easier to see (although I assume everyone who was watching the video from the beginning already knows the gist).

PS:

You can always duct tape spare bat to the table or make a return table from old rubbers if you have spare time.

Best wishes in time of isolation. I really enjoy depth of your videos. If you want to help with editing I can lend you my hand, I am no expert but I've done some in my days of youth.

Yea nice point with the comparison vids, I'll see if I can figure that out for future. I use a fairly basic editing software for these. I have a friend who is pretty handy with editing so I will try and consult him a little bit, as the presentation is important.

Actually I had been planning to start these for a while, but I was mainly concerned with presentation as it's very important for video making. However, as I was stuck at home I figured I would just jump in the deep end and get started :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Yea nice point with the comparison vids, I'll see if I can figure that out for future. I use a fairly basic editing software for these. I have a friend who is pretty handy with editing so I will try and consult him a little bit, as the presentation is important.

Actually I had been planning to start these for a while, but I was mainly concerned with presentation as it's very important for video making. However, as I was stuck at home I figured I would just jump in the deep end and get started :D

Good luck. Presentation isn't crucial, but people tend to appreciate nicer things more. When it comes to software I suggest maybe trying Davinci Resolve (it has really beneficial pricing, where base is free and professional tools are paid and none of the proffesional tools are really needed for this application). There is a lot of software on there though. There is a lot of tutorials everywhere. Best wishes, keep doing what you are doing :)

Reactions: Matt Hetherington