Forehand and free arm

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
For my intermediate level (UK local league Div2) I have an effective forehand topspin, my form can however become easily knocked out of balance if blocked and moved. When I've filmed myself it - ie my shape! - looks horrible; my body and head have a tendency to go upward after each shot. Also noticed that my free left arm sometimes flails around. I'm working on these problems but am wondering. Some pros seem to keep there free arm close to their chest, I've been told by coaches to use my free arm to track my bat arm. Which would be better to maintain my balance, shape and recovery? Cheers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
For my intermediate level (UK local league Div2) I have an effective forehand topspin, my form can however become easily knocked out of balance if blocked and moved. When I've filmed myself it - ie my shape! - looks horrible; my body and head have a tendency to go upward after each shot. Also noticed that my free left arm sometimes flails around. I'm working on these problems but am wondering. Some pros seem to keep there free arm close to their chest, I've been told by coaches to use my free arm to track my bat arm. Which would be better to maintain my balance, shape and recovery? Cheers.
HI kmtt
i think it starts with the ready stance:-
weight forward
feet wider than shoulders
arms pointing toward opponent with elbows at right angles
comfortable distance from the table such that you can see the end line
being ready to go in any direction
watch opponent eyes and bat.
the above describes a COMPACT stance.
once you start to play your free arm should be relaxed and assisting your balance. some players use the free hand to point at the incoming ball, and that seems to work quite well but one shouldnt be too obsessive about it.
i think your SHAPE problem results from poor anticipation.
eg if you try playing a regular pattern like falkenberg at a gentle speed your shape and balance should be good, but if you vary speed and placement your shape and balance will deteriorate. So you introduce random movement drills into your practice at a sensible speed concentrating on trying to recover momentarily to "ready" between each shot. If you master this your level will rise.
finally a note of realism : watch a pro game for shape and balance, and appreciate that its the opponents objective to put you in bad shape and balance. to some extent the 'perfect' strokes you execute in practise are just reference templates that guide your attempts to play strokes even though the balance is imperfect.
hope this helps

Last edited:
Reactions: KMTT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Last time I filmed my self, I was horrified too :D

Most time you watch matches by top level pro players and you get used to their perfect technique and you think that your's is ok too (my FH and BH is actually really ok, but my footwork, let's say could be better...)

...I've been told by coaches to use my free arm to track my bat arm. Which would be better to maintain my balance, shape and recovery? Cheers.

not sure, how you can use and how it would look like if you used your free arm to track the bat though... :confused:

Reactions: KMTT