Needed dimensions for home table with robot

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Here in the US, and most places worldwide, Covid 19 is the single most item on everyone's mind. In Florida, all gyms and rec areas are closed leaving no place to play TT other than in homes. With the anticipation being the virus effect could last into the summer, I'm considering buying a table, and a robot. I've read the many comments on this board about robots, bounce back boards and the pros and cons. Below is my scenario and I welcome comments.

The available room: with a table I would have distance of 2'6" on each side. I know that's tight but that's the available space. For live play that is insufficient. For a robot, I believe that may work. Distance from the table (where I would be) is 7 ft. in depth.

My robot rationale: I'm approaching being an intermediate player. I lose more points on receiving serves than in play. I am still learning to read spin and paddle return positions. I like practicing drills and picking up nuggets and learning aspects of the game.

My interest in a table is to continue to play. As I was playing 3-5 times a weekprior to Covid 19, I have not played for the past13 days. Thought process being, adjusted and limited play, with a robot would be better than no play. Plus I could continue to practice and develop my serves with catch net and no robot.

My interest in the robot is, a) to continue to get exercise with the mandated closures, b) work on returning serves that are my greatest weakness at present, and c) continue to play and develop skills. I know a robot will not replace a coach. It will not advance my game beyond a certain point. And it has limitations, and can lead to bad habits. I'm aware of that and will be cautious and conscious with robot use. And in using a robot, during this downturn in play, it will be more beneficial when used appropriately.

So, I have a size restriction in space. Does the limited space work? I have a need to justify the reward/benefit of cost of a Newgy, or comparable robot. With the available (limited) space, will the table and robot set up work?

Table/Robot considering: Joola 2500 Tour table, Newgy 1050. That's about $1,266 in USD. The top of my budget. Comments welcome.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Your dimensions are fine.

I built a summerhouse in the garden last year and the space inside is 16.5 feet by 15 feet.
I then bought a table and a Newgy 2055 robot,

I keep the table to one side of the room approx 2 feet 6 inches off the wall and that is plenty to get past to collect any stray balls.
I have the table set at about 2 feet off the top wall which allows for the robot to hang off the table and just enough room to squeeze behind the robot and the wall.

This leaves a full 5.5 feet at the front of the table to prance around hitting ping pong balls.

I find this to be perfectly sufficient for all the drills so far.

As for the benefits of using the robot. I would say it is not as good as playing a real person but definitely well worth the expense as for footwork and shot practice it is very good.

In my opinion go for it. I very much doubt you'll be disappointed.

Happy pinging and ponging.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
hi new times
its a bit tight but it should work.
i have a summerhouse with slightly more generous dimensions.
things to think of
solitary practice is quite isolating so i have wifi (watch tt on ipad) and thinking about connecting to the House front door bell
light:- spot lights useless. the new strip lighting is best giving brilliant white light with 3 1 metre strips in |-| formation
window/ventilation worth thinking about
floor really important, non-slip if possible easy on knee joints.
hopefully this a ground floor or basement project! because people below you would not be happy!
the table i use a standard tournament class table not a fold and roll away. the 2 halves have 2 wheels along each centre edge. its quite heavy but the good thing is that it takes up very little space in storing.
finally the robot
i have amicus pro which enables me to program regular and random sequences to any part of the table with any spin and store sequences in memory
However some of the cheaper robots are just awful and dont even project the ball in a realistic way.
look into this very carefully.
good luck
ppp

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I'm getting very close to a combo purchase, and as some have said here, there are benefits and negatives with a robot. All comments so far say the table dimensions will work. That's a huge positive.

If reports today say we'll still be in this imposed home stay until May, that's another check on the list. Sold tread mill and its leaving the room Sat.

Would love to have one of the premium robots but my budge needs to stay in the range not to exceed $600. The Newgy 1055 fits that bill. I'll need to lower it as the balls when ejected are a little higher than the ball recycle 2055.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I’m in a similar situation so I finally gave in and ordered a cheap table and and a robot. I’ve got about 1,6m of room but I can always open the window to give room for a bigger swing ;) It’ll be interesting to get the table up 3 stairs but my daughter claims to be strong as hell due to her horse handling (lifting hay?).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I’m in a similar situation so I finally gave in and ordered a cheap table and and a robot. I’ve got about 1,6m of room but I can always open the window to give room for a bigger swing ;) It’ll be interesting to get the table up 3 stairs but my daughter claims to be strong as hell due to her horse handling (lifting hay?).
The Joola 2500 Tour that I am considering ships at 250 lbs. That's hefty to cart up stairs. Others have suggested to simply shift the table to one side when doing drills to add space.