Why JAN-Ove Waldner, Timo Boll, Samsonov - able to play at the TOP so Long ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Why are European table tennis legends like Vladimir Samsonov, Timo Boll or Waldner able to play at the top of the world so long, while Chinese athletes often take a break early?

This is my Opinons. What about you? :

This is my Opinons. What about you? Speaking of us, you and me, the Amateur players, which play style do you choose? The path of speed and power like the Chinese, or the path of feeling and control like European legends? Comment below to let us know.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I would have two possible thesis'.

1. "Chinese style" is more demanding and takes more strain on the body. I think that may be (not necessary is) true. Few players had knee issues, most noticably Ma Long. I am not 100% sure though. But the more euro style being more spin less force oriented puts less strain on the body. Also aging body weakens power and speed, but it doesn't affect spin and feeling as much (I think we all have 70+ players in our clubs who kick our butts).

2. In China Table Tennis is very popular, thus the scene is more competetive and there are only so many spots. I think that would need to be researched more. I don't know specifics of Chinese league.

Having a player like JO and JP in Sweden for a long time also has a bad effect because they do not have players as strong as these 2 that are in development. I mean, after there 2 retired who came in near their level?

Reactions: thebosshn
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Still no one.

Having a player like JO and JP in Sweden for a long time also has a bad effect because they do not have players as strong as these 2 that are in development. I mean, after there 2 retired who came in near their level?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
I saw what w.schlager told about table tennis, this is not intellectual-mind sport right now, just fitness body sport.
When he was young he spend every vacation just only play table tennis.
What do you want from european teenagers?
I saw million higher paid works than table tennis.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
When I first started TT in the 2000s, our national championships were dominated by relative Geezers. I mean our native born players who were not over 40 yrs old were not even competitive.

That changed some years later, but it took a goodly number of years. Maybe we had relative generational players, but really, we had imported players who were former pros who became citizens later. It took a number of years for the imported coaching talent and growth of full time clubs with these coaches to have numbers, but the numbers are making more numbers to an extent.