• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    1. Top | #1
      This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member Country: United States

Equipment:
      Blade yinhe w-6 (shakehand)
      Forehand Rubber BH: yinhe mercury 2 (max/medium hard)
      Backhand Rubber FH: DHS TG3 Neo (2.15/39 degs)

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 396 Times in 213 Posts

Strategy for dealing with Harimoto's screaming

Harimoto's screaming is a cheap tactic - he disrupts his opponent's concentration, forcing his opponent to lose focus during that critical moment right after making a mistake - when one runs through the scenario in their head, analyzing what they did wrong and what they should have done while the memory is still fresh.

I propose the following tactic for leveling the playing field agains Harimoto: Scream when Harimoto screams - yell chole at your full volume when Harimoto yells chole as his full volume. (Doesn't even have to be a chole, you could just yell S.O.B, or drop an F-bomb). This works better in disrupting Harimoto's concentration versus only yelling chole when you win a point. It serves to confuse Harimoto and make him reconsider/hesitate yelling the next point he wins.

I would if I was playing him. Would you? If not, what would you do (if anything)?

2. Top | #2
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: United States

Equipment:
      Blade Apolonia ZLC ; T05 / T05
      Backhand Rubber DHS Fang Bo ; Mx-P / EL-P

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
      I come from a Tennis background, where i was taught the difference between appropriate and inappropriate times to cheer. I never cheer / scream / cho after I won a point due to my opponents unforced error. During a winner after a long rally? absolutely.

It's the one thing i despise about professional table tennis. Cheering after every point makes players look like classless morons.

3. The Following User Likes BCamps93's Post:

fais (03-29-2020)

4. Top | #3
      This user has no status.

Established TTD Member Country: Brazil

Equipment:
      Blade Cornilleau Gatien Absolum Off+
      Forehand Rubber Stiga DNA Pro H
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega VII Pro

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
      Last year Lin Yun Ju beated Harimoto without making a single noise. It was beautiful.

5. The Following 7 Users Like Caxoera's Post:

deams59 (03-30-2020),fais (03-29-2020),Gugdigrazia (04-01-2020),Kuba Hajto (03-29-2020),lVegita (03-30-2020),NextLevel (03-29-2020),trumpet_guy (03-30-2020)

6. Top | #4
      This user has no status.

Established TTD Member Country: Germany

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
      I propose the following tactic: grow a pair of balls and stop complaining about it.

If I were playing him I'd worry about my game, and since I'm not a lame complainer like most of the people who are still re-hashing this topic after 3 years, I'd be able to tune it out and do my thing. Seems like that tactic has worked for most of the players who have played against him thus far.
      Last edited by zyu81; 03-29-2020 at 02:52 AM.

7. The Following 10 Users Like zyu81's Post:

Caxoera (03-30-2020),Cktenders (03-30-2020),Gugdigrazia (04-01-2020),KM1976 (03-29-2020),lVegita (03-30-2020),MaLin2.0 (03-29-2020),quanghuysk (03-29-2020),sampletext (03-30-2020),Takkyu_wa_inochi (03-29-2020),Tinykin (03-29-2020)

8. Top | #5
      This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member Country: Poland

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 126 Times in 107 Posts
      I think There is a lot stupid guys who called him screamoto.
      Listen he is the biggest talent in history, with Celluloid balls he should chilling on every point with anybody like Koki niwa was blocking Fang Bo topspin.
      The pressure on him is higher than Chinese pressure on Ma Long and FZD x10 because people in China know that National sport table tennis is Dead and there is no
      Art
      Money
      Long rallies
      But in Japan they want only success and he is teenager.
      Ma long looks on camera in 06 wttc like skinny model so yall should accept screaming and not make any tactics
      Last edited by Konrad Bak; 03-29-2020 at 04:23 AM.

9. The Following User Likes Konrad Bak's Post:

Takkyu_wa_inochi (03-29-2020)

10. Top | #6
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by Konrad Bak View Post
      I think There is a lot stupid guys who called him screamoto.
      Truly one of the most cringe things I've seen in a while

11. The Following User Likes zyu81's Post:

12. Top | #7
      says Petit Scarabée

Master TTD Member Country: Japan

Equipment:
      Blade Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Inner
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 80
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Dignics 80

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 3,181 Times in 1,583 Posts
      Big fan of Harimoto. i hope to hear him scream to victory again soon ! CHOREI !!!!

13. The Following 2 Users Like Takkyu_wa_inochi's Post:

vvk1 (03-29-2020),yoass (03-29-2020)

14. Top | #8
      This user has no status.

Established TTD Member Country: Australia

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 168 Times in 107 Posts
      Harimoto for me is a guy that is a roller coaster, his best is very good, his bad is very poor.

He has a decent ranking but not truly reflective of consistent results. I think like alot of young players under new table tennis trend, come out hot and firing and putting pressure on top players, but the top players find ways to figure them out. We see this time and time again. Needs a game style super consistent at top level. Watched a video good way to really play against him is stay close to table and play against his forward, strength more his backhand.

CCY has had recent success to, shows veterans on tour used to older style with old ball have adjusted well with new ball and new players hitting the Tour.

Hopefully Harimoto continues to progress, still very young and plenty upside, like a young Ma Long ready to break out to new heights, hope he continues his screaming, shows passion for the game.
      Last edited by MaLin2.0; 03-29-2020 at 10:46 AM.

15. Top | #9
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: England

Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Innerforce Layer ALC
      Forehand Rubber Nittaku G-1
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P

Reviews
      Read 4 Reviews
      Liked 158 Times in 91 Posts
      He is an amazing player. Especially when age is taken into account. His progress is stalling currently and his mind seems weaker now he is on top and not an underdog.
      I hope he, LYJ, and some other up and comers keep improving. But until his mind and hopefully respect for the sport improve I am happy to see him fall behind the silent assassin.

16. Top | #10
      says modestly attempting kōhaiship
      of Jeul-Tak

Master TTD Member Country: Netherlands
      Equipment:
      Blade Vanity II (D.A.b Studio Custom)
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Vega X
      Backhand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc G-1

Reviews
      Read 6 Reviews
      Liked 2,207 Times in 1,176 Posts
      Personalities differ. To me, Harimoto gives the impression of an introvert, a shy boy, taught to build confidence by externalisation techniques.

There are and have been many players willing or even eager to disrupt their opponents concentration (and the overall flow of the game) in multiple ways. Delaying, verbalisation, antagonisation, generally seeking to pull triggers for the opponent’s irritabilities.

I do not believe Harimoto’s verbalisation to be that. I think the intensity of celebration is purely meant to fuel his own fire, his own flow.

Either way, any player just has to deal with the entirety of what the opponent does. If an opponent manages to unhinge your game by pulling your strings, that is, in the end, because you are offering these strings to pull.
      Last edited by yoass; 03-29-2020 at 05:13 PM.

17. The Following 4 Users Like yoass's Post:

fais (03-29-2020),Ioiettino (03-30-2020),Takkyu_wa_inochi (03-29-2020),UpSideDownCarl (03-31-2020)

18. Top | #11
      This user has no status.

Equipment Expert
      Master TTD Member Country: Philippines
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Offensive S; Tmount T540; Xiom Vega Euro
      Forehand Rubber Kokutaku 007 Pro; Hurricane 3; Tibhar MX-S
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega 7 Hyper; Stiga DNA H; Joola Maxxx 500

Reviews
      Read 77 Reviews
      Liked 2,004 Times in 1,307 Posts
      if his opponents are not complaining during their matches, why should you restrict it or ittf?
      ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor at your service!

19. The Following 3 Users Like yogi_bear's Post:

piligrim (03-29-2020),quanghuysk (03-29-2020),Takkyu_wa_inochi (03-29-2020)

20. Top | #12
      says , "the older I get, the
      craftier I become"

Elite TTD Member Country: UK
      Equipment:
      Blade Darker Imperial and Speed 90
      Forehand Rubber FH: Butterfly Dignics 80 red or T05H
      Backhand Rubber BH: Butterfly Dignics 05 blk

Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 957 Times in 468 Posts
      Whatever is your view of Harimoto, he is the only player in the world right now that has the potential to significantly raise awareness/popularity of the sport.
      China is not a popular country in the eyes of the world right now. Having Harimoto scream his way to victory over the Chinese players would be a big attraction to the media at the Olympics. Whenever that takes place.
      My advice to him; expand his skill in English speech.
      My table tennis club in Bristol, England
      http://bristol-cssc-tabletennis.weebly.com/

21. The Following User Likes Tinykin's Post:

22. Top | #13
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: Slovak Republic
      Equipment:
      Blade Virtuoso CRWi UNI OFF
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05 Hard
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 69 Times in 33 Posts
      enjoy his screaming, that's the right strategy!
      That kind of topic will appear even more in the future when he get more success I believe.

23. The Following User Likes quanghuysk's Post:

24. Top | #14
      This user has no status.

Established TTD Member Country: Bulgaria

Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Fuga
      Forehand Rubber Friendship/729 Battle II red
      Backhand Rubber Friendship/729 Battle II red

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
      I call him the banshee and can't enjoy enjoy his matches because he's an annoyance that screams his lungs out like his life depends on it. Some call this a gentleman sport, you apologize for a net and edge points, but screaming like you've just hit your toe on the table's foot for a point , oh i guess thats fine cause he's a talented child, yea guys you are not hypocrites at all. But I guess fans will be fans.

There is nothing more enjoyable than his sad wittle face after the chinese destroy his chooing ass and remind him he will always belong under them. Always.

And the tactic against him is again best deployed by the chinese too, starting chooing too, kind of proves that even if they are not complaining, its obviously some kind of annoyance and they are happy to provide some of his own medicine.

25. The Following 4 Users Like JustANoob's Post:

fais (03-29-2020),Kuba Hajto (03-29-2020),longrange (03-30-2020),Marko (03-29-2020)

26. Top | #15
      says A really witty and smart
      status should be here...
      Couldn't came up with one
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Advanced TTD Member Country: Poland

Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Omega Tour
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Vega China VM
      Backhand Rubber Gambler Burst Thors Hammer

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 165 Times in 124 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by JustANoob View Post
      I call him the banshee and can't enjoy enjoy his matches because he's an annoyance that screams his lungs out like his life depends on it. Some call this a gentleman sport, you apologize for a net and edge points, but screaming like you've just hit your toe on the table's foot for a point , oh i guess thats fine cause he's a talented child, yea guys you are not hypocrites at all. But I guess fans will be fans.

There is nothing more enjoyable than his sad wittle face after the chinese destroy his chooing ass and remind him he will always belong under them. Always.

And the tactic against him is again best deployed by the chinese too, starting chooing too, kind of proves that even if they are not complaining, its obviously some kind of annoyance and they are happy to provide some of his own medicine.
      Agreed. I am reluctant to watch his matches just because that constant screaming is annoying me. He is a great player, but constant chooing is getting on my nerves.

27. The Following User Likes Kuba Hajto's Post:

fais (03-29-2020)

28. Top | #16
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by MaLin2.0 View Post
      Harimoto for me is a guy that is a roller coaster, his best is very good, his bad is very poor.

He has a decent ranking but not truly reflective of consistent results. I think like alot of young players under new table tennis trend, come out hot and firing and putting pressure on top players, but the top players find ways to figure them out. We see this time and time again. Needs a game style super consistent at top level. Watched a video good way to really play against him is stay close to table and play against his forward, strength more his backhand.

CCY has had recent success to, shows veterans on tour used to older style with old ball have adjusted well with new ball and new players hitting the Tour.

Hopefully Harimoto continues to progress, still very young and plenty upside, like a young Ma Long ready to break out to new heights, hope he continues his screaming, shows passion for the game.
      His bad is very poor - like what, except for the Pletea and arguably Sathiyan loss?

29. Top | #17
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by Tinykin View Post
      Whatever is your view of Harimoto, he is the only player in the world right now that has the potential to significantly raise awareness/popularity of the sport.
      China is not a popular country in the eyes of the world right now. Having Harimoto scream his way to victory over the Chinese players would be a big attraction to the media at the Olympics. Whenever that takes place.
      My advice to him; expand his skill in English speech.
      He speaks a decent amount of Chinese and I believe it was posted before that his mothers primary goal for him is still to attend a good American university.

30. Top | #18
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by yoass View Post
      Personalities differ. To me, Harimoto gives the impression of an introvert, a shy boy, taught to build confidence by externalisatuon techniques.

There are and have been many players willing or even eager to disrupt their opponents concentration (and the overall flow of the game) in multiple ways. Delaying, verbalisation, antagonisation, generally seeking to pull triggers for the opponent’s irritabilities.

I do not believe Harimoto’s verbalisation to be that. I think the intensity of celebration is purely meant to fuel his own fire, his own flow.

Either way, any player just has to deal with the entirity of what the opponent does. If an opponent manages to unhinge your game by pulling your strings, that is, in the end, because you are offering these strings to pull.
      Hit the nail on the head, based on what I've heard from people who've met or know him in person.

31. The Following User Likes zyu81's Post:

32. Top | #19
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: Canada
      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Viscaria
      Forehand Rubber FH: Hurricane 3 NEO
      Backhand Rubber BH: Bluefire M2

Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
      Its funny that people who complain on his screaming never will get chance to play against him.

33. The Following 2 Users Like piligrim's Post:

Takkyu_wa_inochi (03-29-2020),UpSideDownCarl (03-31-2020)

34. Top | #20
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Try the mute button or don't watch his matches, plenty of other table tennis to watch. This isn't the 1930's where table tennis is played in a parlor, screw that "gentleman's sport" shit. I don't understand people who get uptight about the firmness of post-match handshakes, what degree of celebration is okay, etc. So many other things one could be worrying about lol.

Yes because the Chinese never cho'd before Harimoto came along. NO POSSIBLE OTHER EXPLANATION for them cho'ing in a match against of their most formidable rivals other than that they are playing petty mental games in an effort to extract revenge against the little devil. You guys have no idea how pro players think and operate.

You get that much pleasure out of seeing a child lose and cry? Kind of sadistic dude.

Always belong under them? Yeah okay. You spend this much time hating other loud cho'ers who aren't nearly as good as Harimoto? I doubt it.

35. The Following 3 Users Like zyu81's Post:

Cktenders (03-30-2020),Takkyu_wa_inochi (03-29-2020),yoass (03-29-2020)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast