How long does a blade and a rubber have?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I think there is a bit of variables here, mostly how hard and explosive you strike the ball and wether you keep them clean. Keeping rubbers clean will keep them working longer. Also don't leave racket in the direct sunlight for two long. Also the main factor is the rubber itself. Unboosted Chinese rubbers last forever, while rubbers which generate spin by compression will deteriorate faster I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
You’ll know when your rubber is done for. You can come up with ballpark estimates ("after 100 hours of play", YMMV), but it makes little sense to schedule changes upfront - well, unless you’re in Timo Boll territory, matching change frequency with a training and tournament schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
for rubbers it varies somewhat. So when to change the rubber should be decided not by the time, but by the feel. The rubber will start to loose it's grip, the ball starts to slide not to roll when you brush it against the rubbers, also you will start noticing, that you need a little bit more force when hitting to get the max speed.

I know one woman who was somewhat more like a pro some time ago and now she is a good player, so she plays with an ancient all wood blade (that's nothing surprising) and ancient rubbers (I guess smth like 7 years old) and the rubbers are still grippy somehow

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. The answers have been given. Nothing more needs to be said, really.

But here is how I would explain it:

The blade, as long as you do not break the blade, it will last forever. I have a few blades from 1991. They are still awesome. I don't use them because, well, I want to keep them how they are.

The rubbers, there have been a bunch of good ways presented for when to change rubbers. I would explain it this way: when the rubber stops grabbing the ball, then you might want to think of changing it, unless you were using an antispin type rubber. With antispin less grip is what gives it the properties it posses.

And the issue about grip of rubber as the measure for when to change it, that only is valid if you know how to spin the ball properly. So, someone more on the beginner side can use a rubber for longer without realizing that the rubber does not grip the ball since, usually, lower level players make more direct contact and do not generate anywhere near the amount of spin that someone who has higher level technique would.

If you feel the rubber is not grabbing the ball and spinning it, then it is time to change the rubbers. When that is the case, usually, you will see wear in the topsheet that exposes the pimples as Yogi said. If, after 7 years, the rubber still grips, no need to change.

Last edited:
Reactions: davizoosk
This user has no status.
The moment you see the rubber as having eroded parts that you can see the base of the pimples, you need to change it.
yes,this is what I do, when the impact area is clearly visible well I change. We don't have an expensive hobby / sport so it is much more affordable than other sports.

yes,this is what I do, when the impact area is clearly visible well I change. We don't have an expensive hobby / sport so it is much more affordable than other sports.

Depends on what equipment you are using and also the number of hours you play per week.