SARS-CoV-2; CoVID-19; Coronavirus; Updates and Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f0VRtY9oTs
These doctors had a press conference in California which I believe DerEchte posted a link to. Their video got lots of views and then got taken down by YouTube. This is their interview with Journeyman Pictures youtube channel.

In it they discuss the data they are seeing and the quality of the lockdown that is currently being implemented in their community and ask the question that seems to offend some: do the benefits of lockdown outweigh the costs?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I am glad that people who are in charge realize the importance of the sampling and possible false negative! You know how China is dealing with the suspected case (i.e, exposure history, close contact) who tested negative in the first time? Make a second test... I know certain hospitals do make second test in US if the first unexpectedly negative, but they do it only on hospitalized patients (meaning severe symptoms).

My friend who I mentioned tested positive after arriving in China and was categorized as "asymptomatic carrier" at first. Later he developed symptoms and recategorized as a "confirmed case" imported from US. But, he was counted as a confirmed case in US before. We should subtract 1 from the global counts lol Apparently we still don't understand the disease and we should be careful about the severe patients, for their health and safety and for ours.

What's the reopen plan in your institute? Mine aims to reopen next Mon with limited lab occupancy.

I was just on a zoom call with colleagues, one of whom is a pathologist. He mentions that the proper swabbing of the nasalpharynx area is really painful because the swab has to be pushed all the way back to the nose. If people don't sample correctly, it is likely to yield a false negative. His colleague had to have it done five times and says that he never wants to have that done again.

He also said that in our city to expect things to get really bad around August. This is a guy who is responsible for clinical laboratory testing at one of the largest hospital systems in Houston. He oversees the serological testing, various types of PCR testing, etc. To TTD members in the US, don't let don't let down your guard.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
We are opening this week. I had to send a list of people authorized to work in the lab, a justification for each person, and a list of each room where people would work and if there is more than one person in any room they have to wear masks, keep 6 feet distances, etc.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
RICE!!! one of the public enemy number one of experts... yet Koreans have been eating loads of rice, all kinds of rice, mostly white rice, but all kind of rice, but also their traditional diet with all those fermented veggies, all those whole veggies, all those fresh fruits to snack on when visitors show up... all those eggs (another enemy of some docs and dieticians) ... and they been skinny as a bean pole for thousands of years until they start eating the same stuff as most Americans at crazy hours under stress.

Yup, if a calorie was a calorie was a calorie, a joker could for six months straight eat a diet consisting of ONLY TWINKIES, SUZY_Qs, and HO-HOs to the tune of 1900 calories a day...

6 months of that straight-up sugar-only calories, and dude should have lost some mid-section according to calorie deficit model... but yup, that model is defective for obvious reasons.

Yet, a lot of American consumption is not too far from this and we got what we got, at a certain point - time to pay the piper.

Reactions: matzreenzi
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
We are opening this week. I had to send a list of people authorized to work in the lab, a justification for each person, and a list of each room where people would work and if there is more than one person in any room they have to wear masks, keep 6 feet distances, etc.

Our federal agency activity is gunna get ready to phase into full operation at some undetermined future point in a similar scaled, progressive fashion.

This user has no status.
These doctors had a press conference in California which I believe DerEchte posted a link to. Their video got lots of views and then got taken down by YouTube. This is their interview with Journeyman Pictures youtube channel.

In it they discuss the data they are seeing and the quality of the lockdown that is currently being implemented in their community and ask the question that seems to offend some: do the benefits of lockdown outweigh the costs?

It's a question that has to be asked. Everyone knows that these social distancing measures can't last forever (especially in NYC where you're lucky to have 500 square feet and a bike).

But even if we need to have the discussion, most people I know (in NYC) only get offended when folks suggest reopening now. I don't think I've heard any public health expert agree with that. Look at the administration's own experts, whose estimates were just leaked. They see daily deaths doubling by the end of the month because states are already relaxing.

What folks fail to realize is that the lockdowns weren't just about flattening the curve. The lockdowns buy us time. Time to get tests and set up contact tracing.

How many folks here can go out right now and get a test? How many folks can confidently go to a restaurant and say there aren't infected folks there? If you can't say yes, then the cycle can easily start again.

In NYC (and LA and Seattle), it's starting to get easier to get a test and contact tracing is being set up. In Seoul, anyone can get a test by actually signing up for a contact tracing app.

I think a lot of people in the U.S. are acting like they live in Seoul. And I really hate to say this, but I think some people in the U.S. also don't care if daily deaths double - their actions speak volumes.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews

Nothing they present could be called data by anyone competent to evaluate it. They clearly do not understand the concept of a biased sample ( for example people who come to get a test are not representative of an entire population) and even beyond that we would need to know a lot more about their testing. They are not scientists or epidemiologists. These guys run a chain of urgent care clinics, the kinds of places where they sew up cuts and prescribe antibiotics to people with colds who don't need them at ER room prices. Their YouTube video (I saw the original) was taken down because it was clear misinformation (maybe they are auditioning to become Fox News stars or something). Actual infectious disease experts were outraged by it. We should not present misinformation here either, so I'm calling these two out. My professional background includes experimental design and drug discovery (I've been funded by drug companies and do consulting on target evaluation). I don't do clinical trials myself but people like Rain and I can certainly read them. This was pure politics dressed up as science. You gonna listen to these guys or Anthony Fsuci? Or actual infectious disease epidemiologists? Because whatever decisions people take on opening up should be made with the best guidance as to the consequences. Then people need to own their decisions.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Some right winger I know said this violated free speech lol

https://www.aaem.org/resources/statements/joint-endorsed/physician-misinformation

AAEM-ACEP Joint Statement on Physician Misinformation
The American Academy of Emergency Medicine (AAEM) and the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) jointly and emphatically condemn the recent opinions released by Dr. Daniel Erickson and Dr. Artin Massihi. These reckless and untested musings do not speak for medical society and are inconsistent with current science and epidemiology regarding COVID-19. As owners of local urgent care clinics, it appears these two individuals are releasing biased, non-peer reviewed data to advance their personal financial interests without regard for the public’s health.

COVID-19 misinformation is widespread and dangerous. Members of AAEM and ACEP are first-hand witnesses to the human toll that COVID-19 is taking on our communities. AAEM and ACEP strongly advise against using any statements of Drs. Erickson and Massihi as a basis for policy and decision making.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have decided this thread has run its course.

I particularly want to thank RainNeverEver and Baal for excellent information that has helped me understand stuff about the virus, antiviral medications, vaccine development and clinical trials.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.