Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. Top | #1
      This user has no status.

Established TTD Member Country: UK

Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts

Why do you play table tennis?

I saw a facebook post the other day with someone started a discussion on why they played basketball. It got me wondering why I play table tennis.

I play table tennis because I love hitting a winning shot, the feeling is great. I have some good friends in table tennis to which helps. Why do you play?

2. The Following 7 Users Like Table Tennis Reborn's Post:

Boogar (04-15-2020),Dan (04-11-2020),GusShnaps (04-11-2020),JeffM (04-20-2020),NewTimes (04-25-2020),pingpongpaddy (04-14-2020),SFF_lib (04-10-2020)

3. Top | #2
      This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member Country: New Zealand
      Equipment:
      Blade DHS Hurricane Long 5
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 Provincial No. 22 Blue Sponge Version
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 64

Reviews
      Read 2 Reviews
      Liked 725 Times in 437 Posts
      Nice post!!

I love table tennis because of the sound, the arc, the speed and the spin of the ball. I also love table tennis because it has always been in my blood since childhood.

4. The Following 2 Users Like SFF_lib's Post:

Boogar (04-15-2020),pingpongpaddy (04-14-2020)

5. Top | #3
      says A really witty and smart
      status should be here...
      Couldn't came up with one
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Senior TTD Member Country: Poland

Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Omega Tour
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Vega China VM
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Vega X

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 178 Times in 133 Posts
      I like playing table tennis for two reasons.

First one is the fact that is a lot to learn and I am one of those people who is addicted to learning new stuff and this sport is constantly making me think. I like to understand my surroundings and table tennis a place when a lot of different fields of knowledge meet including medicine, physics and engineering. I really enjoy seeing a lot of different theory become practice.

The second reason is purely egoistic, I really like how playing table tennis makes me feel about myself. Even if I lose I really enjoy the feeling when my loops dip into the table. Making ball follow curved trajectory is a real joy to me. Maybe it's something a long lines of doing stuff some non-tt-players impossible (looping the ball from under the table, around the net, side-top spin shots, ghost serve). I thought those things were impossible to achieve when I was playing ping pong in school (I was maybe 10y/o then) and now they are perfectly achievable and some of them are rather easy for me. Also TT makes me train regularly which is also a neat bonus. It has a lots of benefits on my life. Since I started to play 3-4 times a week I've become much happier and self-fulfilled person.

6. The Following 8 Users Like Kuba Hajto's Post:

Boogar (04-15-2020),Dan (04-11-2020),goodhand (04-11-2020),GusShnaps (04-11-2020),JeffM (04-20-2020),pingpongpaddy (04-14-2020),SFF_lib (04-10-2020),UpSideDownCarl (04-10-2020)

7. Top | #4
      This user has no status.

Equipment Expert
      Master TTD Member Country: Philippines
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Offensive S; Tmount T540; Xiom Vega Euro
      Forehand Rubber Kokutaku 007 Pro; Hurricane 3; Tibhar MX-S
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega 7 Hyper; Stiga DNA H; Joola Maxxx 500

Reviews
      Read 77 Reviews
      Liked 2,036 Times in 1,326 Posts
      Because it is an indoor sport and a great hand-eye coordination exercise. Also, I r3alized this is my passion and calling in life.

8. The Following 3 Users Like yogi_bear's Post:

Boogar (04-15-2020),pingpongpaddy (04-14-2020),SFF_lib (04-10-2020)

9. Top | #5
      says Spin for life

Advanced TTD Member Country: Canada

Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Jun Mizutani ZLC
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Evolution FX-P

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 211 Times in 122 Posts
      It's easily one of the most dynamic and difficult sport out there. This is coming from someone who's played basketball, soccer, baseball and badminton. It's really a shame this sport isn't played by more people because of the image people associate with it.

It has a steep learning curve in the beginning so it's not easy to pick up. The sport is highly strategic and there are simply too many variations of styles and strategies involved. I mainly play it because it's not only a physical exercise but also a mental exercise for me. It's also easily the most frustrating sport I've ever played as well.

10. The Following 6 Users Like vik2000's Post:

Boogar (04-15-2020),goodhand (04-11-2020),JeffM (04-20-2020),Keven702 (04-11-2020),pingpongpaddy (04-14-2020),yoass (04-10-2020)

11. Top | #6
      says A really witty and smart
      status should be here...
      Couldn't came up with one
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Senior TTD Member Country: Poland

Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Omega Tour
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Vega China VM
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Vega X

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 178 Times in 133 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by vik2000 View Post
      It's really a shame this sport isn't played by more people because of the image people associate with it.
      I think one of the reason is that access to proper tuition has been broadened only recently. At least in Poland there was a very few people who knows the correct technique. One I started out I was mostly on my own. Only training center was 40km and due to my school schedule it was out of the question to train there. None of PE teachers were teaching table tennis. Only when I reached upper technical school I had access to TT tuition. Now that coaching videos are readily available situation might become different in coming years. More people know how to play decently more people will be interested. The bigger the exposure and better tuition the more known sport becomes :| (at least I think so)

Also the problem with spreading the TT in my country in particular is really hard accessibility. For folks like me, most I can find is amateur tournaments and maybe a playing session where veterans mostly come (ex-players, 60+ y/o, all of them will kick your very butt). Access to training clubs is mostly limited to well sorted players or kids around 9-14 y/o. If one is like me, guy in mid 20s trying to learn as much as possible, one will have a really hard time finding training environment. It's not impossible, we've managed to find two clubs which welcome older players and train them, helping to start in our country's lower league. Gotta praise them.
      Last edited by Kuba Hajto; 04-10-2020 at 03:48 PM.

12. Top | #7
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: Sweden

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
      I love table tennis because when I play, I forget about everything and just focus on that little plastic ball!

13. The Following User Likes Morty's Post:

sago (04-15-2020)

14. Top | #8
      says modestly attempting kōhaiship
      of Jeul-Tak

Master TTD Member Country: Netherlands
      Equipment:
      Blade Vanity II (D.A.b Studio Custom)
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Vega X
      Backhand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc G-1

Reviews
      Read 6 Reviews
      Liked 2,233 Times in 1,191 Posts
      Yes. TT gets me out of my head and into a special zone. TT is my happy place.

15. The Following 4 Users Like yoass's Post:

Boogar (04-15-2020),Dan (04-11-2020),JeffM (04-20-2020),UpSideDownCarl (04-10-2020)

16. Top | #9
      says Krooklyn District Goon Squad
      Commissioner

Equipment Expert
      Super Moderator Country: United States
      Equipment:
      Blade OSP Virtuoso +
      Forehand Rubber BH:Red Rasanter R48
      Backhand Rubber FH:Black Rasanter R48

Reviews
      Read 11 Reviews
      Liked 14,717 Times in 7,073 Posts
      ** The Magnus Effect makes my head spin in a way that feels good.
      ** Learning to create spin.
      ** Learning how to contact and touch the ball for different effects.
      ** Learning to compensate for incoming spin by where and how you touch the ball.
      ** How it feels when you contact the ball in a way that causes the ball to sink into the sponge and stretch and distort the topsheet without bottoming out, and how that creates massive amounts of spin with minimal effort.
      ** Always needing to watch, observe, pay attention and respond to what your opponent does to the ball.
      ** How, when you touch the ball a certain way, at a certain angle, you can make the ball dance.
      ** Seeing the float or arc of a ball fizzing with spin from that just so....precise contact.
      ** Seeing how, as you develop skills, your brain starts reading spin, seeing the axis of spin (point of least spin sensitivity on an incoming ball), seeing the equator of the incoming spin, (point of ball where spin will feel the strongest), and how all this happens intuitively without you even consciously realizing it is happening.
      ** As your skills at reading spin increase, how you start seeing how many different ways you can counter that incoming spin, whether contacting the point of strongest spin or the axis of spin where the spin will have the least effect on your shot....right now I am thinking of how traditional penholders use the traditional penhold BH to do all kinds of neat and crazy things with spin just by pushing forward with the racket at a certain angle, evil things that can be done to a ball just by giving back the incoming spin, or how you can respin, how ZJK would do on all his over the table BH loops....the massive amount of spin he created from a precise and delicate touch with a fast accelerating racket.

Now, I could keep going on. All of what I have said is related to the development of physical skills, touch, feel, brain processing and spin. I could make hundreds more bullet points on that subject.

Or, as Yoass and Morty have already said quite eloquently, because TT makes me happy.

For me, TT is a beneficial addiction. I can get absorbed in so many aspects of why I love TT. But in the end, when you find yourself daydreaming about something while you are doing something else, when you can't wait to play, those are the signs of why so many of us love TT. And I am not sure it needs any real explanation. Brain fever says it all....doing the St Vitas Dance of Love for TT.....receiving that ecstatic feeling that Dionysus gave the Satyrs and Maenads by spinning the hell out of a ball.
      Last edited by UpSideDownCarl; 04-10-2020 at 08:40 PM.
      Spin Everything.

17. The Following 9 Users Like UpSideDownCarl's Post:

Dan (04-11-2020),goodhand (04-11-2020),GusShnaps (04-11-2020),JeffM (04-20-2020),Kuba Hajto (04-10-2020),obsidian d (04-14-2020),pingpongpaddy (04-14-2020),SamTheMan (04-14-2020),trumpet_guy (04-11-2020)

18. Top | #10
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: United States

Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Zhang Jike ALC
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05
      Backhand Rubber Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
      I enjoy playing table tennis because it's a complex game that I can study and make meaningful and measurable improvements. It feels amazing to identify a shortcoming, work hard to address it, and see the positive result at the end of the process.

It's also a great avenue of exercise for me while being such a fun game to play. I don't like running or repeating the same motion without any thinking.

I've also made friends from playing the game.

Finally I'm a bit of an EJ myself. At least with table tennis, I don't have to ruin my finance to EJ.
      Last edited by sammysy; 04-10-2020 at 08:50 PM.

19. The Following User Likes sammysy's Post:

UpSideDownCarl (04-10-2020)

20. Top | #11
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: United States

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 220 Times in 147 Posts
      I play for the health of it.

21. The Following User Likes brokenball's Post:

UpSideDownCarl (04-11-2020)

22. Top | #12
      says NO LONGER PLAYING TT CAUSE OF
      QUARANTINE

TTD Member Country: Australia
      Equipment:
      Blade Handmade DEF+
      Forehand Rubber Andro Rasanter R42
      Backhand Rubber TSP Curl P1r

Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
      makes me have something to look forward to at the end of the week. also due to the speed of the game it tests my reaction speed and it makes me think.

23. Top | #13
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: Philippines

Equipment:
      Blade SDC custom blade
      Forehand Rubber dms firestorm
      Backhand Rubber color sheet

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
      i play for fun, health, fitness, competetive and coach to my two daughter, i just dont really like the EJ thing it drains my wallet.

24. Top | #14
      says Dear Table Tennis, I miss you.

Advanced TTD Member Country: Brazil
      Equipment:
      Blade Blade: Cardboard
      Forehand Rubber FH: Hot glue
      Backhand Rubber BH: Plastic

Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 104 Times in 74 Posts
      I love its complexity, spin, seeing how the ball bends, how it changes its trajectory when it hits the table, the sound it makes, feeling the ball hit your racket, the feeling of hitting a good shot, of playing a good rally, being tired after a training session, watching the pros, rooting for your favorite player, wanting to play like them, understanding what is going on in matches, being motivated to improve, but also the friends and people I met and experiences I had because of this sport.

Of course it's not always that perfect, but I still love table tennis. It's interesting, dynamic, fascinating, hard, fun, but above all, playing it makes me happy.

25. The Following 2 Users Like GusShnaps's Post:

Avenger (04-17-2020),goodhand (04-11-2020)

26. Top | #15
      says Dignics 09C review out now

Administrator Country: England
      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Timo Boll ALC
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Dignics 09c
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05

Reviews
      Read 67 Reviews
      Liked 3,976 Times in 1,460 Posts
      A lot of great responses here! I play table tennis because you are constantly trying to find that extra something to improve. It's a constant process which I love! As some have already mentioned it's one of the hardest sports in the world, so you're constantly chasing, I find this fun as you get a lot of self satisfaction when you feel like you have achieved in table tennis. I also love how you meet so many people in the sport, my whole friend group is pretty much built around table tennis and I've just met so many awesome people. If I didn't start playing table tennis I'd have no idea what i'd be doing.

Stay safe everyone!

27. The Following 8 Users Like Dan's Post:

Avenger (04-17-2020),Boogar (04-15-2020),Der_Echte (04-14-2020),GusShnaps (04-16-2020),JeffM (04-20-2020),obsidian d (04-14-2020),UpSideDownCarl (04-14-2020),Wister (04-14-2020)

28. Top | #16
      says Grand Consultant to the Office
      of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member Country: South Korea
      Equipment:
      Blade Nate Cedar Straight
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar FX-S

Reviews
      Read 27 Reviews
      Liked 9,843 Times in 5,140 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownCarl View Post
      ** The Magnus Effect makes my head spin in a way that feels good.
      ** Learning to create spin.
      ** Learning how to contact and touch the ball for different effects.
      ** Learning to compensate for incoming spin by where and how you touch the ball.
      ** How it feels when you contact the ball in a way that causes the ball to sink into the sponge and stretch and distort the topsheet without bottoming out, and how that creates massive amounts of spin with minimal effort.
      ** Always needing to watch, observe, pay attention and respond to what your opponent does to the ball.
      ** How, when you touch the ball a certain way, at a certain angle, you can make the ball dance.
      ** Seeing the float or arc of a ball fizzing with spin from that just so....precise contact.
      ** Seeing how, as you develop skills, your brain starts reading spin, seeing the axis of spin (point of least spin sensitivity on an incoming ball), seeing the equator of the incoming spin, (point of ball where spin will feel the strongest), and how all this happens intuitively without you even consciously realizing it is happening.
      ** As your skills at reading spin increase, how you start seeing how many different ways you can counter that incoming spin, whether contacting the point of strongest spin or the axis of spin where the spin will have the least effect on your shot....right now I am thinking of how traditional penholders use the traditional penhold BH to do all kinds of neat and crazy things with spin just by pushing forward with the racket at a certain angle, evil things that can be done to a ball just by giving back the incoming spin, or how you can respin, how ZJK would do on all his over the table BH loops....the massive amount of spin he created from a precise and delicate touch with a fast accelerating racket.

Now, I could keep going on. All of what I have said is related to the development of physical skills, touch, feel, brain processing and spin. I could make hundreds more bullet points on that subject.

Or, as Yoass and Morty have already said quite eloquently, because TT makes me happy.

For me, TT is a beneficial addiction. I can get absorbed in so many aspects of why I love TT. But in the end, when you find yourself daydreaming about something while you are doing something else, when you can't wait to play, those are the signs of why so many of us love TT. And I am not sure it needs any real explanation. Brain fever says it all....doing the St Vitas Dance of Love for TT.....receiving that ecstatic feeling that Dionysus gave the Satyrs and Maenads by spinning the hell out of a ball.
      Y'all can believe all that noise if you want, but we know Carl only loves typing on his spyphone, setting forum word filters, and needs a Goon Squad chasing him with trap doors to pull after baiting the Goonies... the rest are small details.
      President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
      http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
      http://www.nexyusa.com

View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
      http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

29. The Following 4 Users Like Der_Echte's Post:

Boogar (04-15-2020),MaLin2.0 (04-14-2020),pingpongpaddy (04-14-2020),UpSideDownCarl (04-14-2020)

30. Top | #17
      of the Goon Squad

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 27 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
      A lot of great responses here! I play table tennis because you are constantly trying to find that extra something to improve. It's a constant process which I love! As some have already mentioned it's one of the hardest sports in the world, so you're constantly chasing, I find this fun as you get a lot of self satisfaction when you feel like you have achieved in table tennis. I also love how you meet so many people in the sport, my whole friend group is pretty much built around table tennis and I've just met so many awesome people. If I didn't start playing table tennis I'd have no idea what i'd be doing.

Stay safe everyone!
      So Dan is actually chasing the Goon Squad around and luving it. Yup. Dan is such a shy dude. Right.

31. The Following User Likes Der_Echte's Post:

UpSideDownCarl (04-14-2020)

32. Top | #18

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 67 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by Der_Echte View Post
      So Dan is actually chasing the Goon Squad around and luving it. Yup. Dan is such a shy dude. Right.
      Can't wait to hang out and play TT with you one day!

33. The Following 3 Users Like Dan's Post:

Boogar (04-15-2020),Der_Echte (04-14-2020),UpSideDownCarl (04-14-2020)

34. Top | #19
      of the Goon Squad

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 27 Reviews
      I was wrong, Dan chases SEVERAL Goon Squads around and keeps them busy.

Of course I would just love such an encounter as Dan proposes, but we gotta get through this period first before even thinking about it... but however it happens, there is sure to be cameras, rubber tests, LULZ, and flying Donkeys for sure. TT forums, like this one, make it SO EASY to organize, meet up and do things that just were not possible or at least practical only a couple decades ago without Carl's spyphone and a KGB contact list.
      Last edited by Der_Echte; 04-14-2020 at 10:10 AM.

35. The Following User Likes Der_Echte's Post:

UpSideDownCarl (04-14-2020)

36. Top | #20

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 67 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by Der_Echte View Post
      I was wrong, Dan chases SEVERAL Goon Squads around and keeps them busy.

Of course I would just love such an encounter as Dan proposes, but we gotta get through this period first before even thinking about it... but however it happens, there is sure to be cameras, rubber tests, LULZ, and flying Donkeys for sure. TT forums, like this one, make it SO EASY to organize, meet up and do things that just were not possible or at least practical only a couple decades ago without Carl's spyphone and a KGB contact list.
      Haha yes Carl's Spy Phone could get him across the milkyway galaxy!

That is very true, just hope things can return to normal so everyone can get back to playing sport, work, seeing family and having fun. Really is crazy times!

For sure if/when we play Der, there will be a couple of donkey shots, we live for those

37. The Following 2 Users Like Dan's Post:

Der_Echte (04-14-2020),UpSideDownCarl (04-14-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast