Is it the end for fan made content of table tennis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Resolved.

Need to be removed (with the request of ITTF). :)

Attachments

• Lin Yun Ju.mp4 - Lecteur multimédia VLC.jpg
    Lin Yun Ju.mp4 - Lecteur multimédia VLC.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 955
  • a111.jpg
    a111.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 979
  • a22.jpg
    a22.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 847
  • bbb.jpg
    bbb.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 873
Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
I'm not a lawyer.. but I can say two things.
1. I agree it's unfair, and it seems ridiculous from ittf's side to claim copyright on material just because it's "their tournament" when the video is not taped by them, they shouldn't really have the right to do that.
but 2. Do they have the right? What does the law say? (idk tbh) That's sadly the only thing that matters until you can claim their copyright strikes false.
I also found it funny (or stupid :v) that ittf called copyright on Xu Xin's best point in the Chinese superleague.... as that's not really ittf, but cttsl.. like, I had ittf related points, but they choose to copyright the one that was from a Chinese channel, under cttsl... but I didn't really care for that since I was already using copyrighted tunes on the video that I didn't want to change xD

Edit:
Did some "Light" digging, came across this (which I assume will be the same for "ittf" in their tournaments)
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-allowed-to-record-a-football-match-on-TV-and-upload-it-into-YouTube

So you have two ways to gain the right (without copyright infringement)
1. You get an agreement with them
or
2. You research "fair use" and edit the vids accordingly... always keeping "copyright material" short and with edits or commentary. Although fair use is easier said than done juridically.
Read up here on fair use: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/copyright-laws-30-seconds-music-61149.html

Last edited:
Reactions: EmRatThich
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I'm not a lawyer.. but I can say two things.
1. I agree it's unfair, and it seems ridiculous from ittf's side to claim copyright on material just because it's "their tournament" when the video is not taped by them, they shouldn't really have the right to do that.
but 2. Do they have the right? What does the law say? (idk tbh) That's sadly the only thing that matters until you can claim their copyright strikes false.
I also found it funny (or stupid :v) that ittf called copyright on Xu Xin's best point in the Chinese superleague.... as that's not really ittf, but cttsl.. like, I had ittf related points, but they choose to copyright the one that was from a Chinese channel, under cttsl... but I didn't really care for that since I was already using copyrighted tunes on the video that I didn't want to change xD

Edit:
Did some "Light" digging, came across this (which I assume will be the same for "ittf" in their tournaments)
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-allowed-to-record-a-football-match-on-TV-and-upload-it-into-YouTube

So you have two ways to gain the right (without copyright infringement)
1. You get an agreement with them
or
2. You research "fair use" and edit the vids accordingly... always keeping "copyright material" short and with edits or commentary. Although fair use is easier said than done juridically.
Read up here on fair use: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/copyright-laws-30-seconds-music-61149.html

Thank you Kaizoku. I love your compilation.
It takes a lot of time to make great compilation videos. Not many people understand that.

I have the same problem.
ITTF reposted the Chinese rap song about table tennis, and they claimed the copyright on it.

It's not the ITTF's song. It's the song made by the CTTA.
And ITTF posted on their YouTube channel, and auto-claim the copyright on all of the videos which they reposted.

But this case,
They claimed the copyright on the fan-made record too. :(
I really don't understand.

The YouTuber content is there, not to compete with the ITTF's money. So why they do that?

Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Thank you Kaizoku. I love your compilation.
It takes a lot of time to make great compilation videos. Not many people understand that.

I have the same problem.
ITTF reposted the Chinese rap song about table tennis, and they claimed the copyright on it.

It's not the ITTF's song. It's the song made by the CTTA.
And ITTF posted on their YouTube channel, and auto-claim the copyright on all of the videos which they reposted.

But this case,
They claimed the copyright on the fan-made record too. :(
I really don't understand.

The YouTuber content is there, not to compete with the ITTF's money. So why they do that?

Thanks Emrat :D You make awesome videoes too, I've watched a lot of them <:
Also, I don't know if that's legal... shouldn't be, Unless they somehow have the rights to all of CTTA's content.
and. that would be messed up o_O
I would start by sending ittf some emails to clarify their "viewpoint" on the questions like: "why would you have copyrights to fan-made table tennis recordings?" or "do the ittf have ownership over CTTA?" if "no", according to what law can you then claim copyright over a ctta produced song? if yes, then rip. And you could also ask them bluntly, if you can make an arrangement without copyright strikes. Probably won't be for free.. But doesn't hurt to try.
In the copyright strikes you can also file disputes if you think they don't have a right... like with background voice, or short cuts as fair use should cover that. Or if they are copyrighting something you know for a fact to not be theirs. (but need to double check what exactly they can copyright first... fan made recordings during a tournament of theirs is very likely theirs by law... sadly)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here, I guess, is a question: if you filmed a NY Yankee game from the audience, would you be allowed to post footage from that game? Or is public use of the footage, for profit, something that would be owned by the NY Yankees or Major League Baseball? And I guess, one of the distinctions is, if someone is posting the footage and profiting. Like, would that be different than if you posted the footage to show the footage, but did not have a for profit YouTube channel?

I don't know the answers. But, the answers to those question may give insight into the questions you are asking.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I think it is not so bad, because maybe we might have the oportunity to see all your knowledge presented by yourself.
So do not worry grab a camera and film yourself what you preach.

Yes, it could be great. My technique is not as good as the pro's player. In the video, I would like to analyse the playing style of Lin Yun Ju. I could explain my playing style too, but it's not interesting.

But in the long term, I will film and explain the techniques like Ma Long Fanmade channel.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Thanks Emrat :D You make awesome videoes too, I've watched a lot of them <:
Also, I don't know if that's legal... shouldn't be, Unless they somehow have the rights to all of CTTA's content.
and. that would be messed up o_O
I would start by sending ittf some emails to clarify their "viewpoint" on the questions like: "why would you have copyrights to fan-made table tennis recordings?" or "do the ittf have ownership over CTTA?" if "no", according to what law can you then claim copyright over a ctta produced song? if yes, then rip. And you could also ask them bluntly, if you can make an arrangement without copyright strikes. Probably won't be for free.. But doesn't hurt to try.
In the copyright strikes you can also file disputes if you think they don't have a right... like with background voice, or short cuts as fair use should cover that. Or if they are copyrighting something you know for a fact to not be theirs. (but need to double check what exactly they can copyright first... fan made recordings during a tournament of theirs is very likely theirs by law... sadly)

You are right.
But in this YouTube media world, the big guy always win the small guy. Even that everyone understands that there will be some illegal stuff behind.

I don't think that I can do anything about it.
The only way is to share, and show this fact here in the forum.

Thank you anyway. Hope all the best.
I just want to say, "making content video" as any kind, tutorial, compilation, best shots, etc, require a lot of time. But in the return, if ITTF just do such an "aggressive act", like this, I feel bad for community. Even the table tennis community is already small.

I really like the compilation of top8tt, ttlondon, janus, etc. but in the return ITTF claimed all of the works.

This time, they also want to claim the private records too. Sad :(
So I just give up. All they want is more and more money.

This user has no status.
I reckon ITTF just wants to take claims over every fan made table tennis content and mark it as their own, as apparently “own the sport”. This doesnt apply to soccer or basketball, but why table tennis?
I don’t just think that its end of fan made table tennis content, at this rate it could be the end of table tennis, as we might be copyrighted for playing table tennis, but its not at their tournaments. :D

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Make a video criticizing a US government agency or department of something, use the logo of the federal agency in the wrong, and see how soon youtube will tell the author it is unauthorized to use the logo that is not a private trademark, a logo that an agency the taxpayer funds... all the while on the mainstream news, no agency will go to court to stop the news media's use of the logo...

youtube is what it is. Stick to creating funny cat videos and slips, trips & falls vids and be happy % wealthy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I think its a stupid move on ITTFs part even if fan made recordings are illegal. The idea is to promote the sport by whatever means and this kind of small minded actions will only create distaste for ITTF and reduce the footprint of table tennis in the youtube community. They are trying to own all official table tennis content but what they are producing right now is shit. Maybe they are just jealous that other are making better content.

This user has no status.
I think this is wrong move by ITTF on so many levels.

1) Creator must be contacted before copyright strike.
2) This is private recording, it is not record by ITTF cameras. Yes it was recorder on ITTF event and I don't know what is ITTF policy about that, but copyright is serious action, it is not like Content ID claim. I don't know does thay understand that.
3) I think that all table tennis creators on youtube have big influence on table tennis popularity in the world.Many kids, amateur and professional players started to play table tennis because they watched their favorite players on youtube from deferent sources and every creator give something special and deferent to watch in their videos. Diversity of content is very important for this sport and I hope this is not the way ITTF is going. We are living in digital world and youtube is the biggest platform for popularization of every sport.
I hope that your channel will be able to continue making good content, because you bring unique table tennis content for all table tennis fans.

Greatings from Top8TT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Yes, it could be great. My technique is not as good as the pro's player. In the video, I would like to analyse the playing style of Lin Yun Ju. I could explain my playing style too, but it's not interesting.

But in the long term, I will film and explain the techniques like Ma Long Fanmade channel.

When can we expect these videos and why haven't you recorded yourself demonstrating in the past? Just because you aren't as good as the pros, it should be fine as long as you know what you are doing, right?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I think this is wrong move by ITTF on so many levels.

1) Creator must be contacted before copyright strike.
2) This is private recording, it is not record by ITTF cameras. Yes it was recorder on ITTF event and I don't know what is ITTF policy about that, but copyright is serious action, it is not like Content ID claim. I don't know does thay understand that.
3) I think that all table tennis creators on youtube have big influence on table tennis popularity in the world.Many kids, amateur and professional players started to play table tennis because they watched their favorite players on youtube from deferent sources and every creator give something special and deferent to watch in their videos. Diversity of content is very important for this sport and I hope this is not the way ITTF is going. We are living in digital world and youtube is the biggest platform for popularization of every sport.
I hope that your channel will be able to continue making good content, because you bring unique table tennis content for all table tennis fans.

Greatings from Top8TT

Thank you Top8TT for sharing your opinion.
This move is difficult to understand for me.

As far as I know, ITTF allows fan-made compilation. To promote the sport. Of course, they own the right, they use the Content ID on all of the compilation.

But why they make copyright strike on private record?

I'm so confused.
I think that it's all the question of money.
They can monetize the private record, so they "copyright strike", but it's just crazy.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I agree. Someone who knows what he is doing, even if he is not young and his technique does not look quite like the top pros, if he can explain key details and show those details so you can learn, I would like that kind of video.

One of the things I love about Brett Clarke's videos is he shows exactly what he is talking about and uses actual club level players to show examples. Or he demonstrates himself to show exactly what he means.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019

Yes, you are totally right.

When can we expect those videos? What sort of ideas do you have planned for your new format of video content?