Is it the end for fan made content of table tennis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
yes, ittf has been active lately. I know a couple table tennis instagramers who were closed due to copyright issues. They were reported by some Indian company who is enforcing ittf copyright claims on their behalf and I don't remember if they knew for which particular posts...

Anyways, ittf should be more understanding and explain their policy towards the content before reporting it without any warning. And the thing they are reporting the content filmed by others is even stranger. I am not a youtuber, but maybe you can claim that the copyright claim was unjustified and then you'll see how it unfolds and that should bring some more clarity to the issue?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Interesting why other channels don't have same problem. There is many channels with videos from World Tours but doesn't looks like they have problem with copyright ...

same with instagram. some accounts post best points from ittf tournaments and no problem, some get closed for the same... hard to explain this inconsistency...

any update on your youtube situation EmRatThich?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
Resolved.
Hello EmRatThich! I love the content you make, and it’s a shame to see ITTF set copyright strikes against such informative videos! I have experience with making YouTube videos but have never ran into copyright issues as I rarely use external video sources. I’m curious to know if you can dispute the strike by claiming that your video abides by the “Fair Use” policy. But on another note, I’m looking to start a new channel in the table tennis domain. Could you perhaps share some words of advice as to how I could start a table tennis commentary channel without running into copyright strikes? Again, keep up the great content! ;)

-TheWiseMan

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Hi Wiseman,

Yes we can talk together. Since I'm on YouTube a long time ago. So I think that I can share with you some experiences. I've talked with Dan (TableTennisDaily), TTlondon2012, TTBegium, Ma Long Fanmade channel, Janus, etc.

So I'm here to discuss and to grow together.

I've talked to ITTF too.

As for now, they are applying the policy:
- No compilation video of ITTF related
- No commentary for ITTF match (need permission from ITTF, or you will get the strike)
- 3 strikes and your YouTube channel down
- No ITTF short cut
- No ITTF best points

Hope it helps.
Feel free to discuss. I'm very open.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
same with instagram. some accounts post best points from ittf tournaments and no problem, some get closed for the same... hard to explain this inconsistency...

any update on your youtube situation EmRatThich?

I got a "secret email" of ITTF. :)
Now I understand their policy, and what they gonna do.

Many Instagram account, and YouTube account will get into trouble in the next few months.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
Hi Wiseman,

Yes we can talk together. Since I'm on YouTube a long time ago. So I think that I can share with you some experiences. I've talked with Dan (TableTennisDaily), TTlondon2012, TTBegium, Ma Long Fanmade channel, Janus, etc.

I've talked to ITTF too.

- No commentary for ITTF match (need permission from ITTF, or you will get the strike)
- No ITTF short cut
- No ITTF best points

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the help! Now I’m curious to know if there’s any professional table tennis content that does no belong to ITTF. Also, how “easy” is it to get permission from the ITTF for commentary videos? ITTF is a large corporation... so how, specifically, do you contact them and ask for permission (email? call? etc.).

Again, thanks so much for the help! I’d love to learn advice from a professional content creator such as yourself! ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
@EmRatThich, can you clarify is it permitted for someone to post their own recordings of an ITTF match or is that something they will go after as well?

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Hi Wiseman,

I've talked to ITTF too.

- No ITTF short cut
- No ITTF best points

Hope it helps.

Well wtf. Ittf needs a new copyright manager. Call the higher ups the president and Adam Bobrow or something. Idek but that's completely gay [emoji23]

Btw, 'no short video cuts'? Ittf are over their heads. Short video cuts are protected by fair use. I can see the point with compilations as that's a lot of them. but they realistically can't copyright a video due to a few seconds clip from ittf. You can call for fair use. Whether ittf likes it or not.
Other than that.. Ittf can smd.

Btw what was that secret email about?
Conspiracy to crash all non ittf YouTube channels with ittf content?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
Well wtf. Ittf needs a new copyright manager. Call the higher ups the president and Adam Bobrow or something. Idek but that's completely gay [emoji23]

Btw, 'no short video cuts'? Ittf are over their heads. Short video cuts are protected by fair use. I can see the point with compilations as that's a lot of them. but they realistically can't copyright a video due to a few seconds clip from ittf. You can call for fair use. Whether ittf likes it or not.
Other than that.. Ittf can smd.

Btw what was that secret email about?
Conspiracy to crash all non ittf YouTube channels with ittf content?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Agreed! Short clips should be protected by fair use... but even the commentary videos should be protected by fair use. As long as there is a “transformative use or purpose” to the video, meaning if you’re critiquing it or having an explanatory discussion on a certain video, it should be fine. So I don’t see how ITTF managed to copyright strike the video. :(

I got a "secret email" of ITTF. :)
Now I understand their policy, and what they gonna do.

Many Instagram account, and YouTube account will get into trouble in the next few months.

are you going to tell us what's the policy on private recording?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
That is very stupid by ITTF.

American leagues like MLB also used to be very strict with content but now they mostly allow snippets as long it is not monetized because they found out this only helps promoting the league.

Of course there are limits to this, you can't upload whole games but highlight collections and so on help growing the game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Recordings of TT Tournaments

First I want to say that I've learned a lot from pingsunday and the EmratThich Youtube channel - Thank You (or Merci beaucoup). With respect to using ITTF footage, this is similar to what is applied say for piano concerts (no recording allowed in concerts, posting on Youtube is copyright infringement).

In a typical tournament (e.g. the 2019 US Open) the prospectus says:

MEDIA AND PHOTO RELEASE – Any image, photographic, or otherwise, taken of tournament play or within the official venue is essentially the property of USA Table Tennis regard‐less of the approved status of the recording instrument or photographer. Entrants agree to allow their voice and likeness in such images to be reproduced in connection with USA. Table Tennis by way of any medium. USA Table Tennis is not responsible for nor can they control the use of camera phones inside the venue. Participants are hereby notified of this policy.

I assume that ITTF tournaments have similar policies. So ITTF likely does own all recordings of tournament action including fanmade ones. It's up to them to what they allow for fair use, and if they inform Youtube of copyright infringement then Youtube's policy applies.

So as a Youtube channel owner I would focus on creating original content. I've learned a lot more from EmratThich Table Tennis Coach's original insights compared to from videos I can also get from ITTF. So keep the insights coming please ...

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
First I want to say that I've learned a lot from pingsunday and the EmratThich Youtube channel - Thank You (or Merci beaucoup). With respect to using ITTF footage, this is similar to what is applied say for piano concerts (no recording allowed in concernts, posting on Youtube is copyright infringement).

In a typical tournament (e.g. the 2019 US Open) the prospectus says:

MEDIA AND PHOTO RELEASE – Any image, photographic, or otherwise, taken of tournament play or within the official venue is essentially the property of USA Table Tennis regard‐less of the approved status of the recording instrument or photographer. Entrants agree to allow their voice and likeness in such images to be reproduced in connection with USA. Table Tennis by way of any medium. USA Table Tennis is not responsible for nor can they control the use of camera phones inside the venue. Participants are hereby notified of this policy.

I assume that ITTF tournaments have similar policies. So ITTF likely does own all recordings of tournament action including fanmade ones. It's up to them to what they allow for fair use, and if they inform Youtube of copyright infringement then Youtube's policy applies.

So as a Youtube channel owner I would focus on creating original content. I've learned a lot more from EmratThich Table Tennis Coach's original insights compared to from videos I can also get from ITTF. So keep the insights coming please ...

Hello there! Thanks for the amazing insight! I’m curious to know if EmRatThich’s copyright strike was also because he monetized videos. Say someone wants to make YouTube videos where they analyze an ITTF match but doesn’t monetize the content. What would happen? Copy right strike? Would the video get removed? Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
No, from YouTube's copyright school:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2814000?hl=en
it doesn't make a difference whether you monetize content or not. The only relevant question is whether you infringe someone else's copyright with the content you upload. This is not trivial, for example I just had to check whether my especially poor rendition of Rachmaninoff's 3rd Prelude infringes, luckily he wrote it in 1892 so it doesn't. Also my 2019 (very brief) US Open Game against Danny Seemiller was taken according to the rules as it was my game and I got Danny's permission to upload so my mom could see it too...

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Perfect time for you to start showing your own training and demonstrations! When can we expect those videos?
As a concerned citizen, please give up the rapping career. I am sure your training demonstrations will be much more useful and popular!

I fully agree with Zyu. If EmRatThich was posting footage of him demonstrating the techniques he is talking about and his students showing them learning the techniques and improving, he would have soooooooo much more to offer.

Us seeing the improvement of people who train with him as they improve, in itself, would be huge. I have always felt a huge flaw in those videos is that often ERT is showing footage of a pro that does not even demonstrate any of the subtleties of the techniques he is referring to.

With footage filmed himself, of himself and his students, he could be showing exactly what he means. And it would be much much much more relevant to the level of most of the people who actually are learning from his videos.

Last edited: