Zhang Jike comes out of retirement for 1 match today! With a twist!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Also worth noting how much ZJK varies the amount of spin on his loops and how this causes a certain amount of nets but also a lot of long balls. He does this in the match vs Joo that I posted and also in the match that the thread is about.

The match could have been decided by outside forces (CNT) but, given the slower pace of a chop, it may be that, this kind of play is something he could walk into and play well enough to take the match.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinykin
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I also saw Hou Yingchao in the same tourney, but 2018 in a dark dim glary sub-200 lumens of light kind of cave of a venue play vs ex-provincial champs who were USA rated 2700 plus...

Hou made them look like USATT 500 rated basement players who couldn't return an underspin.

Hou would cut return a serve, player TRY to attack the ball... and the ball made it maybe 2 feet short of the net.

Hou would float return a loop, player would loop it almost outside the back barriers. Hou would SP chop a loop back, player would try to touch it back underspin, and ball would hit table 6 inches after player struck it.

Hou might have let up a little to make the score look better, but none of those ex-champs 2700 rated who defeated some of the bottom tier of the mid to lower WR100 players... none of those 2700 players who excelled to get to semis and finals were not even within 6-7 play levels of Hou that day.

Saw that live in person 2018 as well. I was the one who measured the light intensity of the showcase tables and raised all that ruckus about light. I watched so many pros play that tourney and I never in my LIFE saw so many pros miss shots vs each other they would normally make blindfolded. I am talking about the kinda of goofy misses we see 500 USATT beginners make. The light in the hall was not good to see a small TT ball, you could barely pickup the impact of a basketball there... and still Hou was killing it.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
One would think a defender would have a very weak FH... but not this cat with the last name of Hou…

You would need to be live to see it. He hit it, it is BY-YA, you needed slo-mo to confirm for yourself that it hit the table.

Needless to say, Hou's FH is MASSIVE. Dude is not a Tiny Tim kitten sized due either. You put an axe in dude's hands and you could stack him up against the Brawny dude any day of the week.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
One would think a defender would have a very weak FH... but not this cat with the last name of Hou…

You would need to be live to see it. He hit it, it is BY-YA, you needed slo-mo to confirm for yourself that it hit the table.

Needless to say, Hou's FH is MASSIVE. Dude is not a Tiny Tim kitten sized due either. You put an axe in dude's hands and you could stack him up against the Brawny dude any day of the week.

I thought you were going to say, Paul Bunyan! :)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There was also a pro-tour tourney back in the day where Ma Long faced Joo and defeated him in a very long match where Ma Long needed double digit attacks to even get a 1/2 opening to finish...

Sure, Ma Long won, but he didn't make it any further that tourney.

He had to default the rest of the tourney... he couldn't even lift his arm up shoulder height later in the day after that match.

That also tells you something of what Joo can put you through.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
UpSideDownCarl said:
I thought you were going to say, Paul Bunyan! :)

Sent from an outdated NSA Spy Phoney-Baloney iPhony Mac-Bookie

Carl,

I sure was wanting to say that, but most of the forum wouldn't remember that tale, I think Google deleted it.

Since we are the panic buying era, more people would be familiar with the packaging of the number one selling brand of paper towels.

We do not know official stats of the Brawny dude, but that guy shapes up to be a pretty cut and solid 6' 3' 230 lb dude. Hou is prolly less than 230, but Hou is around that hight and has a much heavier, solid build in upper body than most TT pros have.

I would bet a few cheeze-its that Hou could bench press 30 lbs more than Dmitrij Ovtcharov...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think younger chinese play more mechanical like the robots they were trained to be But when they get older this is not longer the case. So when Young chinese play hou that plays very differently and with alot of variation i can image it cause som problems in adjusting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
At the end of the match Zhang Jike also stripped off the rubbers and signed his bat for a prize. He also sat down with the presenter for a long discussion which is something that viewers would not normally be able to see.
Ah, I see. That could be the reason why he didn't play with his own Viscaria blade :)

Can anyone sumarize what was said in the interview afterwards?

I was also suprised that they did a handshake at the end instead of a fist bump or touching shoes or something like that ;)

Also was anyone else a little bit bothered that they recorded the video from the wrong angle? Recording behind from the backhand corner means that the player hides part of the table/ball some of the time. I'd really think someone involved should have known this.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
ZJK is able to beat Hou Yingchao (who beat Wang Chuqin and Liang Jingkun at the 2019 Chinese Nationals) because he is simply a much more experienced player, his variation, placement and understanding of the game is simply at a higher level that that of his younger Chinese team mates.

I was actually surprised in the other direction. ZJK executed a single simple tactic, mostly, pinning HYC on the BH using deep FH mid-paced mid-spin level loops, very efficiently. At least, that's what I took from the game.

I think the number of BH openings don't exceed the fingers of one hand, and just one single ZJK signature BH rip.

says Aging is a killer
Shirts don't lie

At least he's still using a Hurricane and not a Tenergy like he was using in his last official game against Apolonia.

Rubbish!
He's definitely playing with Dignics. It says so on his shirt.

says Aging is a killer
Huh, are you joking? :)

Sorry, I can't tell if that's sarcasm.

If you take a look at the snapshot I posted from the match you can clearly see the DHS Hurricane rubber stamp.

No, would any of these players use a product not made by their sponsor, of course not!.....................................
.Yes I'm joking;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
Small hall is big advantage against chopper.
Ball is slower with less Spin
Big advantage for blockers too

The same match with them in big hall would be different.

Viscaria is nothing right now and they rise price
He used here super zlc?

says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I also saw LIVE in 2017 LA Open final JSH absolutely TEARING Hou Yingchao a NEW ONE in the singles finals. Joo let HYC get game one, then made dude sweat heavily the rest of the way Joo was gliding to position handling Hou's best attacks and even BH countering from 10 ripping winners with the PIPS. At towel breaks, Hou looked like he needed 4 towels in succession frantically, while all the time, Joo would just pat his FH like he was exerting the same energy as playing a video game.

THAT wasn't very long ago.

Yes, there were big stakes of prize money, but sometimes, pros at that tourney make a gentleman's agreement and play it a little different.

Thats interesting i didnt know joo was still playin so recentlyg, heres a game back in 2010 which is much closer that you might find interesting, Chinese Super League Final 2010 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tlSCu1kWDc

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I was also suprised that he didn't use his trusty Viscaria, but given the Butterfly shirts and the table I think he or the match was sponsored by Butterfly.

At least he's still using a Hurricane and not a Tenergy like he was using in his last official game against Apolonia.

I still don't get how an untrained ZJK could win against someone who defeated Wang Chuqin and Liang Jingkun.

Maybe he's really effective against defenders? Can someone confirm this?

View attachment 21217

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
He played quite a few matches after the Apolonia match including his comeback silver medal at the Japan Open vs Harimoto in 2018.