Zhang Jike comes out of retirement for 1 match today! With a twist!

says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Amazing new fan based interactive match played between Hou Yingchao and one of the greatest players of all time Zhang Jike!

Watch Now!

After the official announcement of a "Premier League Challenge" between Zhang Jike and Hou Yingchao by zhibo.tv, it attracted extensive attention from the media and table tennis fans. At a time when the virus epidemic has caused global sports events are suspended, the match between the Grand Slam champion Zhang Jike and the 2019 China men's singles champion Hou this “Premier League Challenge” undoubtedly becomes the most important event.

In order to make the competition more enjoyable and meet the broadcast needs, the concept of "limited time" is added just like in T2. However,
Zhang Jike and Hou, also put forward a number of modifications and suggestions.

Rules:
The challenge finally determined a new competition system of "snatching points in limited time": the competition will be divided into three sections, each section of the competition is limited to 10 minutes, and the points of three sections of the competition will be accumulated. If the third quarter of the competition is less than 10 minutes, and the score of one player reaches 35 points in advance, the competition is declared over, and the player who reaches 35 points first wins. If the third quarter is played for 10 minutes and the two sides are not even, the one with more points wins.

The new competition system is different, the score of each section is related to the final victory and defeat, so every point will be contested, and the suspense of the game is greater.

With the change of the new competition system, fans will be more involved in the competition and interact with the players.
In this competition, the rights of the players to towel down and replenish water will be decided by the online users who watch the live broadcast: for example, before the competition starts, the umpire will take the lead in opening the "task" of whether the players have the right to a towel break adjustment in the competition, and the online users will vote by means of voting.
Similarly, during the rest time between sets, whether the athletes of both sides can replenish water and adjust their status is still decided by online users. This interactive mode really tests the popularity index of players.
In this game, the rights of "time out" has been given to the fans to decide based on a voting system. This will greatly test the fans' ability to judge the game.
Once the time out is called, the designated player will comment on the spot the impact that this time out has had.

Stay tuned as hope to have highlights soon!

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
And ZJK doesn't use the Viscaria.

They made the rules, and yet they screwed up...

Reactions: StehTischtennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
I was also suprised that he didn't use his trusty Viscaria, but given the Butterfly shirts and the table I think he or the match was sponsored by Butterfly.

At least he's still using a Hurricane and not a Tenergy like he was using in his last official game against Apolonia.

I still don't get how an untrained ZJK could win against someone who defeated Wang Chuqin and Liang Jingkun.

Maybe he's really effective against defenders? Can someone confirm this?

zjk.jpg

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TTstyle
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
[...]

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

Playing against a chooper is mostly topspinning against backspin with FH, I believe even if ZJK is untrained, it's not that "surprising" that he won against Hao. Topspinning against backspin is a muscle memory for ZJK, which makes it pretty straight forward for him.

On the other hand, if he played against a top level player which is not a defender; he would most likely struggle a lot due to the fact that there is a lot more things to do. For example:
Well placed serves
Good returns (BH flip, short returns etc)
Counter attacks
BH openings
BH vs BH play
etc
These things is not a must when playing against a defender, IMO.

Reactions: Keven702
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
> I still don't get how an untrained ZJK could win against someone who defeated Wang Chuqin and Liang Jingkun.
Thats because ZJK is part of the golden era in Chinese TT. None of the players after him and Ma Long has thus far shown the kind of talent his generation has.

This user has no status.
Zjk can't really be considered "untrained". Yes he didn't have training from cnt after his retirement, but he still played plenty. He didnt just stop. There's also video of him and Hou in a facility before this. His father is also a table tennis coach and they have video of them playing and training at home.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
My understanding is that 'Zhibo tv' want to test the popularity of matches broadcast on their website. By allowing fans to interact with the match through voting to enable players to take a time-out for example, in order to try and generate more interest and hype in the game.

ZJK is able to beat Hou Yingchao (who beat Wang Chuqin and Liang Jingkun at the 2019 Chinese Nationals) because he is simply a much more experienced player, his variation, placement and understanding of the game is simply at a higher level that that of his younger Chinese team mates.

A good example of this is the point at 3:19 in the highlights video which shows the change of speed and placement whilst also still being prepared for blocking Hou's fh loops. This aspect seemed to trouble Wang Chuqin and Liang Jinkung more often.

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
At the end of the match Zhang Jike also stripped off the rubbers and signed his bat for a prize. He also sat down with the presenter for a long discussion which is something that viewers would not normally be able to see.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
StehTischtennis said:
I still don't get how an untrained ZJK could win against someone who defeated Wang Chuqin and Liang Jingkun.

Sent from my second-hand reject NSA phoney-baloney using Tapa-talky

I would offer the answer of why and how RSM and Oh Sang Uhn defeat the best modern chopper ever, Joo Se Hyuk???

It is because those two KNOW how to play against Joo AND they have trained and played vs him SO MANY TIMES which helps them vs him.

ZJK certainly HAD to have had enough matches vs him on CNT training back in the day.

Jan 2018
Reportedly, 45000 users tuned in live to the pay-per-view match, with virtual tickets sold for ¥45 each.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I also saw LIVE in 2017 LA Open final JSH absolutely TEARING Hou Yingchao a NEW ONE in the singles finals. Joo let HYC get game one, then made dude sweat heavily the rest of the way Joo was gliding to position handling Hou's best attacks and even BH countering from 10 ripping winners with the PIPS. At towel breaks, Hou looked like he needed 4 towels in succession frantically, while all the time, Joo would just pat his FH like he was exerting the same energy as playing a video game.

THAT wasn't very long ago.

Yes, there were big stakes of prize money, but sometimes, pros at that tourney make a gentleman's agreement and play it a little different.