Training 10 years old son at home

says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
Apr 2019
Coaching my 10 years old son at home

Hello,
I'm currently making good use of my garden table tennis, UK weather being merciful is allowing me
to take a break from work-from-home and play TT with my 10 years old son almost every day.
I was actually thinking of getting myself a robot.. but then I though this was such great opportunity to brainwash my son into loving table tennis

Last edited:
says Hello Mr. Jordan Thanks for reaching out. My email is...
says Hello Mr. Jordan Thanks for reaching out. My email is...
Jan 2018
I actually did this and now after 2-3 yrs he is better than me in some aspects. Make sure you keep it fun otherwise they lose interest.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I’m not a coach but I know the typical drills that our kids in the club do.

Three simple drills (all based on one player blocking from BH):
- The Falkenberg drill: BH to BH, BH to the BH corner where the kid should step around and do a FH, BH to FH, repeat.
- One middle, one long: BH to BH, BH to the middle of the table, BH to BH, BH to the FH corner. Repeat.
- Two BH, two FH: BH to BH x 2, BH to FH x 2. Repeat.

A common thing is to decide that you need to keep the ball in play for something like 10 repeats or you won’t go on to the next drill.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
So I started TT At 12 years old, played until ~20 and then restarted a couple of decades later. I did try to teach my two sons but a bit late. What I found very useful are the Youtube videos from "Yangyang TT", (go to Youtube dot com and search for this) especially the playlist for intro techniques. If you make your son look like her (playing wise) he is doing good.
Also pingsunday dot com (I am not allowed to post the full link, go figure) has some articles about how children are taught in China. Maybe if you follow that your son becomes the next Ma Long. If he is only 10 he can still become very good with the right coaching and so you have a big responsibility ;-)