TenniRobo vs Joola Infinity

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
I am considering buying a table tennis robot. The two robot that I am considering are

and

Tenni Robo
Pros
- Available now
- 3 wheels
- Easy to use application
- Configurable app: you can programm your own drills

Cons
-Pricier
-Does not include catching net
- Future support is not guaranteed

Joola Infinity

Pros
-Cheaper
-Includes Catching net
-Established company, future support is guaranteed

Cons
- Available on December, maybe later
- 2 wheels? (not clear)
- Will the app be as user friendly? (not clear)
- Can you program you own drills? (not clear)

I would go for the Tenni Robo despite the price, but the lack of a catching net is an issue. What worries me as well, is future support in case of malfunction, breakdown etc. What about spare parts?

On the other hand, I would wait for Joola Infinity given the fact that would be as good as Tenni Robo. The fact that it is not defined if you can program your own drills, is an issue.
Also, if it has indeed only two wheels, that puts it behind Tenni Robo...

So what are your thoughts/recommendations?

Reactions: JST
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I've bought Joola infinity so consider myself personally biased.

The infinity has two wheels but whole head also rotates so you can get sidespin. Quote from FAQ (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/joola-infinity-app-controlled-table-tennis-robot/x/23387828#/faq)
How many wheels does the robot have?
Two wheels: one in the top and one in the bottom of the head.
Quote from main page
The Infinity Robot has two wheels which allows it to produce topspin, underspin, side spin and no spin while shooting with a frequency range of 30 to 100 balls per minute at varying speeds (2.5 mph to 45 mph) that can match even the highest caliber of players. You can also practice against any shot on the table since the Infinity Robot can seamlessly oscillate 150 degrees side-to-side and create ball trajectories of 30 degrees downwards to 50 degrees upwards.
You will be able to program your own drills as it's stated in FAQ:
Does the Infinity Robot have ball sequencing?
The JOOLA Infinity Robot will shoot any combination of balls. You will also be able to program your own drills along with access to pre-programmed drills that come from our extensive network of world-ranked players and coaches.

Whether it will be user friendly, it strongly depends on the user... Some say that Linux is the most user-friendly system ever, it's just picky of whom its users shall be. The very few mockups they shared on their website are promising though. A big pro of using Kickstarter and Indiegogo is that they can get early adopters' help with making the app the best it can be for the target user group. Also even if the user interface is garbage (which is unlikely tbh), you will most likely get help from Joola or this forum users. I asked them numerous questions on their Facebook, and they answered both rapidly and in great detail.

I've decided to go with Infinity mainly because it is supported by a bigger brand, which in turn is kind of a promise of better support. Also, they update pretty frequently and the robot might be shipped even quicker than December. They are iterating over samples quite decently fast.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
I've bought Joola infinity so consider myself personally biased.

The infinity has two wheels but whole head also rotates so you can get sidespin. Quote from FAQ (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/joola-infinity-app-controlled-table-tennis-robot/x/23387828#/faq)

Practically, what is the advantage of the 3rd wheel,that Tenni Robo has? Does it offer spins that Infinity cannot produce?

Quote from main page

You will be able to program your own drills as it's stated in FAQ:

That's great! I didn't know that.

Whether it will be user friendly, it strongly depends on the user... Some say that Linux is the most user-friendly system ever, it's just picky of whom its users shall be. The very few mockups they shared on their website are promising though. A big pro of using Kickstarter and Indiegogo is that they can get early adopters' help with making the app the best it can be for the target user group. Also even if the user interface is garbage (which is unlikely tbh), you will most likely get help from Joola or this forum users. I asked them numerous questions on their Facebook, and they answered both rapidly and in great detail.

I've decided to go with Infinity mainly because it is supported by a bigger brand, which in turn is kind of a promise of better support. Also, they update pretty frequently and the robot might be shipped even quicker than December. They are iterating over samples quite decently fast.

My guess is that the app will be user friendly, but Tennis Robo's is very useful as seen in the video.
And an established brand offers the security of future support and resale value.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Two differences to consider:

Joola robot is designed to be fixed at center end of table, like a Newgy. If you want to place it anywhere else you lose the catch net. Tennirobo is designed to sit on a tripod and be placed anywhere. For example so serves come from where a human would stand. Which is more important to you, convenience of the net, or ease of moving the robot, changing height, etc.

Second is the random feature. Tennirobo works by setting the head position anywhere in a quadrilateral shape you draw on the screen. Extremely customizable. It also has simple random setting that draws a small rectangle around the current setting. Joola's may be similar or just as good, I haven't seen it. But having owned now four different brands of robots, I know randomizing is important to not get bored with it.

Reactions: Kuba Hajto
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Joola robot is designed to be fixed at center end of table, like a Newgy. If you want to place it anywhere else you lose the catch net.

I would discuss (definitely not argue) about this. The robot itself can be easily placed on the edge. As you can see on the renders it's ball feeding wings will be contractible, unless Joola does stupid things, like linking those two wings together, one should be able to contract one wing and let the balls feed from one side only. I have made my own net from 10$ worth of fabric, so I guess making bottom extension wouldn't be to much. Especially considering that the other robot discussed here has no net whatsoever. (I also asked the question about off-center mounting on the indiegogo backers thread of Joola robot, I will update with whatever they respond)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
I was looking at the comparison chart of Infinity with other competition robots, that Joola depicts in Kickstarter:
infinity2.jpg
As stated, the spin that can be produced is topspin, underspin, no-spin, sidespin. So from what I can understand, it offers only 5 types of spin and CANNOT PRODUCE topspin combined with sidespin and CANNOT produce underspin combined with sidespin

On the other hand, as stated in the Tenni Robo FAQ page https://tennirobo.com/faq/ :
"The TenniRobo supports all possible kinds of ball’s spin: topspin, backspin, any sidespin, and no-spin. Even more – with our mobile app you can easily select the angle of this spin. Actually you are able to combine, for example, topspin with sidespin, or backspin with sidespin. You can do it just in one click!"

I think that is a MAJOR difference between the two robots and a great disadvantage of Infinity.

What troubles me is this: If the guy that produces Tenni Robo was able to put 3 wheels, how come Joola wasn't able to do so as well?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Joola can produce side top spin. It just created top spin and rotates head.

Yes, I can imagine what you are saying: By rotating the head, topspin and underspin can be combined with sidespin.However, it is not clearly stated in the chart and that is what troubles me.

Since I cannot ask directly ask because I am not a backer (only backers ca post comments) can you please clarify that?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Yes, I can imagine what you are saying: By rotating the head, topspin and underspin can be combined with sidespin.However, it is not clearly stated in the chart and that is what troubles me.

Since I cannot ask directly ask because I am not a backer (only backers ca post comments) can you please clarify that?

Ask Joola on Facebook. That way you will get reply quicker. At least I got response much quicker that way. I think there may be 2 different teams handling replies to facebook and to indiegogo, and my questions on indiegogo were not answered yet. If you don't have facebook account I can ask for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Ask Joola on Facebook. That way you will get reply quicker. At least I got response much quicker that way. I think there may be 2 different teams handling replies to facebook and to indiegogo, and my questions on indiegogo were not answered yet. If you don't have facebook account I can ask for you.

I have facebook, but I don't really use it. But I will contact them.
What is their policy about questions? Should i make a public comment or send private message?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Joola can produce side top spin. It just created top spin and rotates head.
΄
Another question that I have is this:
Tenni Robo because it is placed on a tripod, you can move it around the table at different distances and angles. That is a great advantage.

Infinity on the other hand is mounted on the center of the table and cannot be moved around. Are the side wings of the net removable?

BUT: If the side wings are removable and one makes a custom made base to mount Infinity on, do you think that it will be possible to move it around at different distances and angles, just like Tenni Robo?

Do you get what I mean?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Infinity on the other hand is mounted on the center of the table and cannot be moved around. Are the side wings of the net removable?

BUT: If the side wings are removable and one makes a custom made base to mount Infinity on, do you think that it will be possible to move it around at different distances and angles, just like Tenni Robo?

Sure, why not. I will confirm this when I get my robot in December. The only thing that might be an issue is a software side of things, but that shouldn't be that hard to figure out (robot is calibrated to be in the center after all). I asked my question here https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...olled-table-tennis-robot/x/23387828#/comments. I would expect the answer from engineers within a month. These are not easy questions to answer so I would expect they will take their time. The wings are 90% gonna be foldable, since the robot is supposed to be movable, and moving a Star Wars' Lambda Imperial space shuttle isn't the most comfortable thing to do...

Edit: Found this graphic on Kickstarter, it strongly suggests that the wills will fold
Zrzut ekranu 2020-04-24 o 10.13.03.jpg
Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joola/joola-infinity

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Sure, why not. I will confirm this when I get my robot in December. The only thing that might be an issue is a software side of things, but that shouldn't be that hard to figure out (robot is calibrated to be in the center after all). I asked my question here https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...olled-table-tennis-robot/x/23387828#/comments. I would expect the answer from engineers within a month. These are not easy questions to answer so I would expect they will take their time. The wings are 90% gonna be foldable, since the robot is supposed to be movable,

Hmmm you've got a good point. If the software is designed based on the assumption that the robot is mounted ONLY on the center of the table, I think it will be too difficult -if not impossible- to redesign it, for moving around the robot at various angles and distances....

If it is not too much trouble, please ask this at Indiegogo. It is a very technical questionand only the engineers of the project will be able to answer that. At facebook such a question will have no luck.
By the way, I asked them on FB about the spins and I am awaiting their answer.

Wings are FOLDABLE no question about that. The thing is if they are REMOVABLE.

and moving a Star Wars' Lambda Imperial space shuttle isn't the most comfortable thing to do...

;);););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););) lambda2.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Wings are FOLDABLE no question about that. The thing is if they are REMOVABLE.

Why do you want to remove it? Fold for me is enough. But if they intend to sell net as an accessory later. I would imagine that it will be removable. If you want to move the robot to serve from the left, just fold left wing. When it comes to how hard it is to force the software to behave when on right, I would have to have a robot and run the Bluetooth sniffer to look how commands they send looks or reverse engineer the application.

PS: Asked the question on indiegogo.

EDIT: I found this image, it suggests that wings shall be held together with bolts, so I wouldn't expect them to be easily detachable.
Zrzut ekranu 2020-04-24 o 10.43.40.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Why do you want to remove it? Fold for me is enough. But if they intend to sell net as an accessory later. I would imagine that it will be removable. If you want to move the robot to serve from the left, just fold left wing. When it comes to how hard it is to force the software to behave when on right, I would have to have a robot and run the Bluetooth sniffer to look how commands they send looks or reverse engineer the application.

PS: Asked the question on indiegogo.

EDIT: I found this image, it suggests that wings shall be held together with bolts, so I wouldn't expect them to be easily detachable.
View attachment 21277

I had a Tibhar Robo Pro Plus robot which had the "wings" folding, just like Infinity.
Man, I will tell you it was a real bitch to move it around with the net wings attached, because it was heavy and bulky. Fortunately, the wings were removable and then it was much easier to move or transport it.

Also this video answers you questions about an app and sidespin:
[video]https://v.kickstarter.com/1587890541_f4c300eb7cb7faefd1609a1fa9c084a1b98da368/assets/028/726/869/fd438ebe741ba86e7105a5493aa6c1f9_h264_high.mp4[/video]

Well this video is very informative about the app!
If I understand correctly from the screenshot, for top spin you set the speed of the Top Wheel and for underspin you setup the speed of the Bottom Wheel or both wheels at opposite rotations for max spin. Then by setting the Sidespin from -45[SUP]0 [/SUP]to +45[SUP]0 [/SUP]you get a combination of topspin/underspin with sidespin.

However for SIDE SPIN ONLY shouldn't the angle be from -90[SUP]o [/SUP]to +90[SUP]o ?
[/SUP]
spins.jpg

Reactions: JST
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I am also seriously considering a robot and these two are ones on my list. I am finding the points and details in this posting very interesting and insightful. One question. As the Tennirobo can be affixed to a tripod, can a catch net be used at the same time. I see a challenge if the height of the robot has to exceed the height of the net as obviously the ball would be projected at a much higher point. My robot use is going to be either use an robot/catch net system or a table or tripod robot with catch net. I like the idea of using a tripod but it may not practical for my usage. Any thoughts?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
This is my first post. I've been putting it off as I've been busy, but I feel I owe it to Sergey from Tennirobo (which has been my saviour during lockdown) and to posters here (for their collective wisdom ;)), as I've been lurking for a while.

In this comparison I can only speak for the Tennirobo, as I have one and I've not really looked into the Infinity as the 'not being available till December' aspect was a deal breaker for me. Especially after already having waited a number of years for a Trainerbot which is yet still to become a reality.

I bought a Tennirobo from Sergey at the end of the Summer last year after yet another delay and the loss of my patience with the Trainerbot project. The process of buying the Tennirobo was smooth as could be expected in buying something and getting it shipped from the Ukraine. It was made easy and I was always reassured by good prompt communication from Sergey.

The first point I would make about it is its obviously a non mass produced item. It is closer to a prototype than a mass produced item, however it is a brilliant example of such. The build quality and engineering in it very good and 6 months in, I've never had any issues with it functioning as its supposed to.

From my communications with Sergey and feedback I've seen on this forum and elsewhere, my impression is that should I encounter issues, Sergey would be very responsive in helping me to fix it. However I would expect this to be a case of him helping me to fix it and do realise that my professional background gives me the confidence to be able to attempt that which maybe not something everyone will share. I understand lot of people will prefer the feeling of dealing with a big company and the support that offers.

I bought a catch net to go with the robot, it is obviously an additional cost but not a huge one and its very useful. A small, adjustment to the net gives me a couple of different options to position the robot and I picked up a second hand tripod off Gumtree which allows me to position the it off the table. Because of the mount on top of the tripod it allows me some extra tilt on the robot, the motors have a good amount of tilt inherently but this offers some extra flexibility.

The robot does not have a ball recycling system but in all honesty, I don't find this an issue. The robot holds a huge amount of balls and generally by the time I've completed a full load I'm only too happy to indulge in the small rest that refilling the robot allows me.

The robot is super adaptable, spin can be applied at any angle in increments of 22.5 degrees, for purely top, back or side spin or greater or lesser combinations of each. Because the robot is so adaptable the interface can take a while to programme. Obviously if you move the position of the robot it has an impact on where the balls land on the table (if indeed they do at all any more). This means you need a different programme to recreate the same shot from a different source location. I too imagine that means generally that robots callibrated to fire from a single point would struggle to be useful firing from a different location.

There is a pay off here and I can understand that some folk might prefer the simplicity of pre-programmed shots, relative ease of use would be happy to sacrifice the adaptability of Tennirobo that I enjoy.

The adaptability of the robot and the interface that controls it does make the interface more complex but as I've seen during the time that I've had it, Sergey is making regular updates and improvements. The robot can fire faster, harder and with more spin than I can handle and certainly more than you'd encounter at most levels of play. The random shot generation helps keep the shots and drills feel realistic with a bit of irregularity and the programming is so flexible that the number of exercises that you can create is only limited by your own imagination and time to programme them in.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Reactions: lodro