10$ rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
I see you rather buy a 22$ rubber from china than a 25$ euro rubber locally. Also, you want to go with Chinese tacky forehand and short pips backhand on a jpen blade.

Welp

cache.php

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
JPen, Pips on BH, playing a short time, $10.00 rubbers.....those are a lot of interesting decisions all at once.

Why JPen? Why a rubber on the BH with a blade where the handle locks you in to only use one side? Why a rubber on the BH that is usually not recommended until you have good strokes for ALL strokes. Like, for someone planning to turn pro, usually it is recommended to NOT use pips until you reach a very high level so that you can do all strokes with smooth before you develop the pips technique.

If you are training JPen and want to become a pro, usually penhold, regardless of CPen or JPen, it takes a minimum of 4 years longer to get to the same level because Penhold requires certain subtle technical skills. And it is much easier to switch from Penhold to Shakehand than it is to switch from Shakehand to Penhold. This is because Penhold is harder to learn.

In China, Japan and Korea, 35 years ago, over 90% were Penhold. Today, those numbers have switched. Why would so many top players from countries that used to specialize in Penhold now be dominated by Shakehand players?

And given the rise of the reverse penhold backhand, and how that makes it more possible for Penhold players to have some ability to compete with Shakehand players, why would you choose to use a handle that makes RPB exponentially harder to use?

In the end, if you are having fun, I will just wish you luck. But a lot of this does not seem to be well planned, thought out, sorted out.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttarc
JPen, Pips on BH, playing a short time, $10.00 rubbers.....those are a lot of interesting decisions all at once.
Why JPen? Why a rubber on the BH with a blade where the handle locks you in to only use one side? Why a rubber on the BH that is usually not recommended until you have good strokes for ALL strokes. Like, for someone planning to turn pro, usually it is recommended to NOT use pips until you reach a very high level so that you can do all strokes with smooth before you develop the pips technique.

If you are training JPen and want to become a pro, usually penhold, regardless of CPen or JPen, it takes a minimum of 4 years longer to get to the same level because Penhold requires certain subtle technical skills. And it is much easier to switch from Penhold to Shakehand than it is to switch from Shakehand to Penhold. This is because Penhold is harder to learn.

In China, Japan and Korea, 35 years ago, over 90% were Penhold. Today, those numbers have switched. Why would so many top players from countries that used to specialize in Penhold now be dominated by Shakehand players?

And given the rise of the reverse penhold backhand, and how that makes it more possible for Penhold players to have some ability to compete with Shakehand players, why would you choose to use a handle that makes RPB exponentially harder to use?

In the end, if you are having fun, I will just wish you luck. But a lot of this does not seem to be well planned, thought out, sorted out.

lol i'm spending the day thinking about it, but i'm already considering switching to cpen, throughout the end of 2018 and 2019 i tried the three handles, cpen, jpen and shakehand. Why didn't I stay on the shakehand? I felt very open, a movement too wide, it was very uncomfortable. Cpen, it was the safest grip I've used so far, two rubbers, quick movements and good footwork. Jpen, I found the greatest strength in him, but it only took a few minutes of comparison that I saw that I managed to make almost the same strength, I am considering this change. I am willing to go back or change, I don't know the right word. My drives are more placed and more accurate. My rpb since I started was not bad, but I still use TPB and passive blocks.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
lol i'm spending the day thinking about it, but i'm already considering switching to cpen, throughout the end of 2018 and 2019 i tried the three handles, cpen, jpen and shakehand. Why didn't I stay on the shakehand? I felt very open, a movement too wide, it was very uncomfortable. Cpen, it was the safest grip I've used so far, two rubbers, quick movements and good footwork. Jpen, I found the greatest strength in him, but it only took a few minutes of comparison that I saw that I managed to make almost the same strength, I am considering this change. I am willing to go back or change, I don't know the right word. My drives are more placed and more accurate. My rpb since I started was not bad, but I still use TPB and passive blocks.

Any chance you have a short video so we have an idea of how you play at the moment?

If you are already playing Penhold and feel competent and confident with it, I would think about CPen. Penhold FH is very strong. With the addition of RPB the BH can also be a weapon. Traditional Penhold BH can do many unique things. But strong attacks with it are a real challenge and can actually cause physical injury because the movement is so awkward.

In the end, JPen and CPen are valid grips. They just mean you need more training because they add a challenge to improving. Most people who play Penhold start very young playing that way.

Any chance you have a short video so we have an idea of how you play at the moment?

If you are already playing Penhold and feel competent and confident with it, I would think about CPen. Penhold FH is very strong. With the addition of RPB the BH can also be a weapon. Traditional Penhold BH can do many unique things. But strong attacks with it are a real challenge and can actually cause physical injury because the movement is so awkward.

In the end, JPen and CPen are valid grips. They just mean you need more training because they add a challenge to improving. Most people who play Penhold start very young playing that way.

I will try to record my movements, but that is the problem, my cpen is a recreation racket for my 9-year-old nephew, it is not at all smooth, I would say they are very short external pins, but really small, and there is no rubber on the back. it's not sticky, but I can topspin it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I will try to record my movements, but that is the problem, my cpen is a recreation racket for my 9-year-old nephew, it is not at all smooth, I would say they are very short external pins, but really small, and there is no rubber on the back. it's not sticky, but I can topspin it.

Is there any video of you using whatever racket you are most comfortable using?

Reactions: splasher78

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I like this guy.
first he thinks about how he will become a pro and then starts playing the sport :cool:
That is kind of what the Williams sisters did, although.it was their dad who decided they would be top pros. But they were small children then, not 15.

I like this guy.
first he thinks about how he will become a pro and then starts playing the sport :cool:

interpreting this phrase with irony or not, I have been playing ping pong since I was 9 years old, but only when I was 14 years old I started to really think professionally or at a more advanced level.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
interpreting this phrase with irony or not, I have been playing ping pong since I was 9 years old, but only when I was 14 years old I started to really think professionally or at a more advanced level.

I think it starts to count as playing table tennis when you start going to a club and training with proper technique.
I'm not sure if you are at this point yet.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think it starts to count as playing table tennis when you start going to a club and training with proper technique.
I'm not sure if you are at this point yet.

This is why I suggested video footage. We really just don't know. He may be very high level already. He may be the opposite. Based on some of the ideas, he needs to assess and examine what will be most useful and effective for his progress. And to me it sounds like he may be making a lot of mistakes all at once. But we cannot tell anything that will be useful to him without seeing how he plays.

This is why I suggested video footage. We really just don't know. He may be very high level already. He may be the opposite. Based on some of the ideas, he needs to assess and examine what will be most useful and effective for his progress. And to me it sounds like he may be making a lot of mistakes all at once. But we cannot tell anything that will be useful to him without seeing how he plays.

Very True Carl, I gotta give this guy credit for being honest (?) about going pro though. But when asked about footage of him playing and him saying that his current setup is for his 9 yr old nephew and recreational seems like BS to me. that's why i liked your previous post carl, asking for footy of him with any racket he's most comfortable with. OK he gets a pass. I'm curious to see how this plays out.

ok, i will try to record today with jpen. I have few balls since my pack of 100 balls has not arrived yet. I will see if my mother throws some balls at me or if I have to do it myself.

I can't show a game, I can show forehand, backhand, serve and some training sequences.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I can't show a game, I can show forehand, backhand, serve and some training sequences.

Cool. Posting will be useful.

When DavidZoosk posts, I am going to ask people to comment supportively, constructively and NOT critically, or to not comment if you don't have anything you can say that is positive and constructive.

finished recording. initial considerations, I'm sorry for the video quality, the camera on my phone doesn't work, my mom's phone was busy and only my dad's old camera remained. But you can still see it clearly. about the shoto, I hadn’t trained him, so I improvised a movement on the spot. I'm going to edit now, obviously I'm putting the errors, I'm just cutting the part where I collect the balls.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I always like Der_Echte and UpSideDownCarl posts, funny, educational, cynical, keep me away from being an EJ.
I still own Carl a video footage.

Pound the Hate button on my off center posts. If you do not see such a button use this pic...

dislike 1.jpg

If you want to forcibly have others like the post, pound this button below...

FB like 1.jpg

If you REALLY hate on the post and wish for Carl or Dan to "Send out the GOON SQUAD" pound this button below.

goon squad 1.jpg

Last edited: