Lost in choice of rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
I'm a intermediate player and thinking about new rubbers.
I read a lot about hardness, spin, trowing angle..... But I can't chose

I have a disability on my legs so i play close to the table. Cant bent good my knees so topsin is hard for me.
I like to push on the BH and dont attack often, on the fh i attack non spinny bals

I play with accoustic and bh : razka soft and fh: T05

Anybody any suggestions for me ?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
I would say stick with what you've got.

If you really want to try something different because you mentioned that you only attack non-spinny balls of the FH some might recommend you try some relatively spinny short pips on the FH which might enable you to attack balls that are a bit above net height.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
I would say stick with what you've got.

If you really want to try something different because you mentioned that you only attack non-spinny balls of the FH some might recommend you try some relatively spinny short pips on the FH which might enable you to attack balls that are a bit above net height.

I tought a harder sponge less spin inmpact and easyer to attack. T5 i often play over the table (high trow angle ?) so i think take a rubber with lower trowing angle.

or i buy a hard blade with soft rubbers ?

Never played short pimples any suggestions ?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
I tought a harder sponge less spin inmpact and easyer to attack. T5 i often play over the table (high trow angle ?) so i think take a rubber with lower trowing angle.

or i buy a hard blade with soft rubbers ?

Never played short pimples any suggestions ?

If you frequently hit balls off the end of the table with the T05 one answer might be to get a less spin-sensitive rubber (like some short pips), but what you would probably want to try first is just closing the bat angle more for those balls that you hit off the end.

And whilst I hope you do not fall too far down the equipment rabbit hole, maybe your blade is not quite suited to your style and something a bit more in the All+ section might work better, like a Stiga Allround Classic.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
If you frequently hit balls off the end of the table with the T05 one answer might be to get a less spin-sensitive rubber (like some short pips), but what you would probably want to try first is just closing the bat angle more for those balls that you hit off the end.

And whilst I hope you do not fall too far down the equipment rabbit hole, maybe your blade is not quite suited to your style and something a bit more in the All+ section might work better, like a Stiga Allround Classic.

thanks !

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Do you have access to a coach? With your disability it could be better for you to play pips out. Long pimples backhand and short pimples forehand can be a very strong combination. And both pimples are good for playing close to the table which means you have to move less.

Just because pros play with tenergy and topspin everything, it doesn't mean that is the right equipment for everyone.

This user has no status.
Hi Jurgen, I took a look at your results and rating on the website of the Belgian table tennis federation. I don’t think tenergy 05 is the right choice for your play style and level. A blade in the allround category and more forgiving rubbers would be a better choice. As some people suggested maybe a short pip rubber would be even better if you enjoy playing with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
Do you have access to a coach? With your disability it could be better for you to play pips out. Long pimples backhand and short pimples forehand can be a very strong combination. And both pimples are good for playing close to the table which means you have to move less.

Just because pros play with tenergy and topspin everything, it doesn't mean that is the right equipment for everyone.

I tryed short pipmles but i didnt get used to play with it. I like to push real hard with the Bh and attack with fh. Can u give spiny serves with short pimples ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
Hi Jurgen, I took a look at your results and rating on the website of the Belgian table tennis federation. I don’t think tenergy 05 is the right choice for your play style and level. A blade in the allround category and more forgiving rubbers would be a better choice. As some people suggested maybe a short pip rubber would be even better if you enjoy playing with it.

I took T05 because the high trow arc and its difficult to get spin on it for me so i tought i take advantage with the high arc. Which rubbers do u find the best for me ? I push hard on BH and fh i attack with not so much spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
Bh 2.1 fh 2.2
Can u serve with spin with short pips ?
I played with donic deplay senso before what was to slow for me.

Last edited:
Bh 2.1 fh 2.2
Can u serve with spin with short pips ?
I played with donic deplay senso before what was to slow for me.

Hard to say all without seeing you play but based on your data, level, results, race rhythm, age and health condition I would still recommend to play with slightly less thick rubbers or play with something completely different, eg, tackiness- c or short studs on your back hand. Short studs on your fh is a complete turnaround and I would not improve your results quickly, but I fear after a lot of training and perseverance.
I would still recommend that you go a little less thick on your fh (1.9 or 2.0) and look for a slightly slower rubber than that T05 if you do not play with much effect.
Good luck!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Reactions: Tuppe
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
T05 is definitely not the right rubber for just hitting without much spin.

It does sound like the SP idea for FH would be intelligent. And I do think you can serve with spin with SP. Some SP may spin better than others.

Maybe Lula can chime in on SP info. He is a coach who uses and understands SP and he really knows his stuff on all aspects of Table Tennis.

Lula can you give OP info on Short Pips.

But since you have tried and did not get used to them, if you do want smooth rubber, maybe a rubber like Calibra would be a good choice for your FH. It is fast and not so spin sensitive and it lets you hit fast without the ball flying up. So it is good for fast attacks without much spin. Also, a thinner version like 1.9 or even 1.7mm thick would probably make sense based on how you are using the rubber.

On BH LP would be interesting, but since you say you like to push hard any tacky rubber would be fine. Why not H3 commercial? Inexpensive and quite good. It is worth boosting it. But it is inexpensive and great for pushing heavy backspin. If that is what you do with your BH, that might be a good choice. Very spinny and very good for pushing.

But any tacky rubber, like the Tackiness C that was recommended above would also likely be a good choice. Tacky rubbers are better for pushing because the sponge does not make the ball bounce as much and because the tacky topsheet really grabs the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
T05 is definitely not the right rubber for just hitting without much spin.

It does sound like the SP idea for FH would be intelligent. And I do think you can serve with spin with SP. Some SP may spin better than others.

Maybe Lula can chime in on SP info. He is a coach who uses and understands SP and he really knows his stuff on all aspects of Table Tennis.

But since you have tried and did not get used to them, if you do want smooth rubber, maybe a rubber like Calibra would be a good choice for your FH. It is fast and not so spin sensitive and it lets you hit fast without the ball flying up. So it is good for fast attacks without much spin. Also, a thinner version like 1.9 or even 1.7mm thick would probably make sense based on how you are using the rubber.

On BH LP would be interesting, but since you say you like to push hard any tacky rubber would be fine. Why not H3 commercial? Inexpensive and quite good. It is worth boosting it. But it is inexpensive and great for pushing heavy backspin. If that is what you do with your BH, that might be a good choice. Very spinny and very good for pushing.

But any tacky rubber, like the Tackiness C that was recommended above would also likely be a good choice. Tacky rubbers are better for pushing because the sponge does not make the ball bounce as much and because the tacky topsheet really grabs the ball.

Sounds good to me, thanks for the explanation. This setup should I take a soft or hard blade or average ? Acoustic is off- but blocking is great !

Last edited: