Build your dream male table tennis player

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Agreed! There’s some players that you just can’t help but admire... or some players that, dare I say, look “cool”. Karakasevic is one of those players! He never really struck me as a successful player, but his play style really defined the way I developed as a player. I love his touch and feel, especially with the backhand. Do you have a favorite player at the moment?

I think at the moment for me the obvious choice has to be Gauzy. I always try to watch the live streams of his matches when possible because you know anything could happen. Maybe he'll beat a top CNT player, maybe he'll play three chop-blocks in a row (with different side-spin for the third) and then finish the point with a backhand that is beautifully textbook. That mix of creativity, improvisation and perfect technique makes him compelling to watch.

Honourable mentions go to Xu Xin, Timo Boll, Stephane Ouaich, Bastian Steger, Truls, Pletea, any of the few choppers still playing (or up and coming), Calderano... there are probably more but can't remember right now.

What about you?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
I think at the moment for me the obvious choice has to be Gauzy. I always try to watch the live streams of his matches when possible because you know anything could happen. Maybe he'll beat a top CNT player, maybe he'll play three chop-blocks in a row (with different side-spin for the third) and then finish the point with a backhand that is beautifully textbook. That mix of creativity, improvisation and perfect technique makes him compelling to watch.

Honourable mentions go to Xu Xin, Timo Boll, Stephane Ouaich, Bastian Steger, Truls, Pletea, any of the few choppers still playing (or up and coming), Calderano... there are probably more but can't remember right now.

What about you?

Oh man! I couldn’t agree more ;)... Gauzy’s got a play style that somewhat reminds me of Waldner! He’s gotta the same kind of creativity and quick wit that Waldner showed back in the days. And his win over Xu Xin last year was one to remember!

Like I said earlier, I think my favorite player is still Aleksander Karakasevic! He’s a bit obscure and never really made it big in the sport... but really, everyone needs to watch him play! Or at least some of his highlights! The man is known for his legendary backhands and amazing touch. I play table tennis in the US, and generally speaking, most coaches and even pro players recommend that you build an extremely strong forehand. No issues with that, but people really tend to neglect their backhand! Karakasevic was one of the few players that had a deadly backhand stroke... one stronger than most forehands I’ve seen. It definitely influenced my play style. But honorable mentions would be Timo Boll, Liam Pitchford, and Fan Zhendong! No particular reason, I just enjoy watching them play ;)