ITTF Coup?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Weikert the tyrant vs Al-Mohannadi and Sörling the freedom fighters?

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1093888/ittf-split-officials-president-weikert
Split emerges at ITTF as two senior officials call for election of new President in 2021

By Liam Morgan Monday, 4 May 2020

Two of the most senior officials at the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) have started a campaign to drum up opposition to President Thomas Weikert and find a suitable candidate to stand against him in 2021.

In a joint statement, ITTF Deputy President Khalil Al-Mohannadi and executive vice-president for finance Petra Sörling raised several concerns with Weikert's leadership and expressed their hope that he is not re-elected next year.

They claim to offer a "new direction for the ITTF membership under the leadership of a new President" in the letter, sent to members of the ITTF by the Swedish Table Tennis Association (SBTF).

Weikert announced in February that he would stand for a second four-year stint at the helm of the worldwide governing body, despite his previous insistence that he would only hold the role for one full term.

It is not clear whether either Al-Mohannadi and Sörling are considering a run at the Presidency in 2021.

Sörling declined to reveal her own intentions when contacted by insidethegames but said she would have more information after the pandemic has passed.

The SBTF President added the letter had been sent to start "internal discussions" within the ITTF and the response to the COVID-19 pandemic remained the highest priority.

The two Executive Committee members criticised Weikert's handling of the coronavirus crisis.

Al-Mohannadi and Sörling denounced the German, elected President in 2017 but who has served in the role since 2014 after replacing Adham Sharara mid-term in 2014, for a "lack of strategical and constructive initiatives... to safeguard the ITTF from a structural and financial point of view in these difficult times".

They also claimed Weikert had placed his own interests ahead of those of the Federation.

The two officials allege Weikert has made "several moves and contacting national association representatives around the world, clearly with the aim to strengthen his own election platform, instead of following the decision making and meeting protocol of the ITTF Executive Committee".

Some may point out that Al-Mohannadi and Sörling also appear to be playing politics at a time where Federations, including the ITTF, are fighting for survival because of the pandemic and the financial implications of the decision to postpone the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

Weikert's "perspectives on global leadership... lack necessary depth and true understanding", Al-Mohannadi and Sörling added.

The ITTF has suspended all of its events until at least July in response to the crisis, while this year's World Team Table Tennis Championships have also been postponed.

The tournament in Busan has been provisionally rescheduled for September 27 to October 4, but is likely to be pushed back again.

Weikert and senior staff at the ITTF have agreed to reduce their salary to mitigate the financial impact of the COVID-19 virus on the worldwide governing body.

When contacted by insidethegames, Weikert said he was not in a position to comment immediately but would do soon.

Reactions: Simas and Ray
Jan 2018
The tyrant strikes back.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1093915/ittf-president-rejects-leadership-claims
Exclusive: ITTF President hits back at two senior officials for "discrediting" allegations

By Liam Morgan Tuesday, 5 May 2020

International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) President Thomas Weikert has hit back at "discrediting" allegations made against him by two of the organisation's most senior officials, and claimed neither had previously raised any objections to his leadership.

Weikert was the subject of a critical letter jointly written by ITTF Deputy President Khalil Al-Mohannadi and executive vice-president for finance Petra Sörling, who questioned his ability to lead the worldwide body and expressed hope that he is not re-elected next year.

The German told insidethegames he rejects "across the board" the "sweeping and unspecified" allegations they made in their statement.

In the letter, sent to members of the ITTF by the Swedish Table Tennis Association, the two high-ranking officials claimed to offer "a new direction for the ITTF membership under the leadership of a new President".

Al-Mohannadi and Sörling raised several concerns over Weikert's management of the ITTF, ranging from his handling of the coronavirus crisis to allegations that he has been placing his own interests above those of the Federation.

Some may point out that Al-Mohannadi and Sörling also appear to be playing politics at a time where Federations, including the ITTF, are fighting for survival because of the pandemic and the financial implications of the decision to postpone the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

"The complainants are members of the Executive Committee, the highest governing body of the ITTF," the German told insidethegames.

"They have made discrediting allegations without ever having made any relevant complaints in the six meetings and video conferences that have taken place during the past six months.

"The respective minutes are all approved.

"As far as I know they have made their letter public without informing the other Board members.

"They did not give me the opportunity to comment on it before.

"Neither of them had ever contacted me before to discuss possible problems they may have with me or my management style."

Al-Mohannadi and Sörling also criticised Weikert for appearing to renege on his claim that he would only serve a single four-year term as President when he was elected in 2017.

Weikert, who has served in the role after replacing Adham Sharara mid-term in 2014, declared his intention to stand for re-election in February.

The German told insidethegames he had been encouraged to run for a second term by some of the ITTF's member associations and said he wanted to build on the work done during his first four years in charge.

"After having succeeded, with the great help of the whole honorary and full-time ITTF team, in strengthening the ITTF in many areas during the first years of my term of office, I was keen to stabilise this upward trend," Weikert said.

"Furthermore, some member associations encouraged me to continue.

"That is why I changed my mind, which I consider is legitimate in a transparent system."

It is not clear whether the letter represents the first moves towards a candidacy from either Al-Mohannadi, who began a campaign for the Presidency in 2017 before withdrawing to support the German, or Sörling.

Sörling declined to reveal her own intentions when contacted by insidethegames but said she would have more information after the pandemic has passed.

"It is also common and legitimate in a democratic system that other candidates also want to lead the ITTF and run for office," Weikert added.

"The complainants themselves have never criticised my decision (although I have told them already in October 2019 during an ITTF Executive Committee meeting) to run for office again."

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Not trusting Sörling in any way or shape as she took a very very long time to sort out the mess in our womens national team after sexual harassment charges were made.

https://www.svt.se/sport/bordtennis/bordtennisens-damkapten-sparkas-efter-trakasserier
https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/a/21aG7B/vi-maste-overvaga-allt

The net result was that Spårvägen lost their womens team (as a protest) and womens elite table tennis is no more in our city.

I would vote for Weikert any day of the week.

Reactions: zeio
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Not trusting Sörling in any way or shape as she took a very very long time to sort out the mess in our womens national team after sexual harassment charges were made.

https://www.svt.se/sport/bordtennis/bordtennisens-damkapten-sparkas-efter-trakasserier
https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/a/21aG7B/vi-maste-overvaga-allt

The net result was that Spårvägen lost their womens team (as a protest) and womens elite table tennis is no more in our city.

I would vote for Weikert any day of the week.

Can you translate just the essential parts of the articles?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Can you translate just the essential parts of the articles?

I'll describe (my understanding) of what happened instead.

1) A player (Ellen Holmsten) reported to the Swedish TTA that she felt harassed by the head coach
2) The Swedish TTA allowed the head coach to continue his job. Sörling knows the head coach privately since a quite long time so some argue that there was a conflict of interests.
3) The player who also runs a blog wrote about the above situation and mainstream media picked up the story. This got more media attention than our recent (modest) successes such as our WTTTC bronze or Falck's silver. Big pressure on the TTA.
4) The TTA had to act so the head coach was removed from his duties.

One of the other players in the national team (who also played for Spårvägen) backed up Ellen's story. Both quit competitive TT. Other players wanted to keep the head coach.

Edit: The duration between point 2 and 3 was quite long (many months). This triggered the blog posting.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I stopped following after Shahara was toast. Is the general impression that Weickert sucks too, and beyond what Mart said ( which is certainly worth noting) is there any resson to think this cabal has any different vision for TT, or do they just want to run things for the sake of it? I'm hoping people who follow this stuff can enlighten me. I personally have mixed feelings about the last few years.

I do have to say that when someone who said he would only do one term (actually 1.5) changes his mind it raises red flags. Since nearly all international sports federations are prone to corruption, turnover is good, and going back on a commitment like that looks very suspicious to me.

Of course it's not like any of us get to vote.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
well, there were some changes during the term (starting from rubber colors, ending with tournaments). Not saying they were good or bad... so you can't blame for doing nothing at least.. :D

I do have to say that when someone who said he would only do one term (actually 1.5) changes his mind it raises red flags. Since nearly all international sports federations are prone to corruption, turnover is good, and going back on a commitment like that looks very suspicious to me.

yups. sport federations somehow are either famous for their functionariesstraightforward corruption or for at least trying to squeeze as much money as they can and then enriching them by paying the bonuses I suppose..

Of course it's not like any of us get to vote.

but our local federations do...

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
What is interesting is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in this thread, which suggests that people don't have strong feelings about Weikert, in contrast to Sharara. Back in those days the TT forums were busy on the topic, with about 9/10 of posts being people who wanted him out and thought he was completely corrupt (which was true). So people viewed Weickert then with a sense of relief.

There was some interest in the Saive vs Weikert election (I think in part because Saive was a very popular player).

Maybe a lot of people are pretty agnostic about this current coup attempt, as I am.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
the table tennis coup d' etet has begun .then there is the old saying that necessarily is the mother of invention.
thank you

Jan 2018
I dont like ITTF under Weickert:
  • Change in table tennis ELO system (very stupid, causing many injuries)
  • Bad quality of youtube highlights, literally 10 fps (literally the only media coverage they have 100% control and it's that bad)
  • live broadcast was not that good as well tbh
  • Color rubber (who cares... so stupid)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Ok so I've read the insidethegames article, but it's extremely weak on substance.

"lack of strategical and constructive initiatives... to safeguard the ITTF from a structural and financial point of view in these difficult times"

Not sure how you can blame the ITTF for the effects of the pandemic. Just about every sports federation has been severely hit by Sars-Cov-2. Article doesn't say what would they have done differently?

The two officials allege Weikert has made "several moves and contacting national association representatives around the world, clearly with the aim to strengthen his own election platform, instead of following the decision making and meeting protocol of the ITTF Executive Committee".
What were the several moves? Contacting national assoc. reps around the world is normal. Why did he say that was purposefully used only to strengthen his election platform?

Weikert's "perspectives on global leadership... lack necessary depth and true understanding", Al-Mohannadi and Sörling added.

Ok, in what way does it lack necessary depth and true understanding? To its credit, the article at least mentions:

Weikert and senior staff at the ITTF have agreed to reduce their salary to mitigate the financial impact of the COVID-19 virus on the worldwide governing body.

I don't know much about Thomas Weikert tbh, but I haven't seen anything from him that I find highly objectionable. And if the ITTF can pull off the increases in prize money for TT pros that they're proposing for World Table Tennis 2021, I think you have to give him some credit for that.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/welt...raesident.1346.de.html?dram:article_id=476830
Welt-Tischtennisverband
Stellvertreter gehen Präsident Thomas Weikert an

Im Welt-Tischtennis-Verband ITTF sorgte in den vergangenen Tagen eine E-Mail des schwedischen Verbands (SBTF) für Unruhe. Inhalt waren diverse Vorwürfe gegen den deutschen Weltverbands-Präsidenten Thomas Weikert und der Aufruf, ihn nicht wieder zu wählen. Dieser wehrt sich und sieht die Vorwürfe haltlos.

Von Jessica Sturmberg

Es war ein gemeinsam verfasstes Schreiben des stellvertretenden Präsidenten Khalil Al-Mohannadi aus Katar und der für die Finanzen zuständigen Vizepräsidentin Petra Sörling aus Schweden. Der Inhalt hatte es in sich:

Thomas Weikerts Führungsstil wird darin angezweifelt, er habe eigene Interessen über die des Verbandes gestellt und die Corona-Krise nicht gut gehändelt. Er habe in dieser Zeit zu wenige strategische und konstruktive Initiativen ergriffen, um den Weltverband strukturell und finanziell vor Schäden zu bewahren.

Kritisiert wird auch, dass Weikert mit verschiedenen nationalen Verbandsvertretern Kontakt aufgenommen habe, mit dem Ziel seine Wiederwahl im kommenden Jahr zu sichern.

Das Schreiben ging an sämtliche Mitglieder des Weltverbands. Petra Sörling als Absenderin wollte sich auf DLF-Anfrage nicht weiter dazu äußern. Sie verweist darauf, dass man sich in der Verbandsspitze darauf verständigt habe, jetzt als Team zusammen zu arbeiten um in dieser schwierigen Zeit die Priorität auf die Sicherung des Sport zu setzen.

„Es scheint, als wollten die Beiden die Coronakrise politisch für sich nutzen“

Auch Thomas Weikert will sich momentan nicht über das hinaus äußern, was er dem Branchendienst „Inside the Games“ sagte, nämlich, dass er sämtliche pauschalen und unspezifischen Vorwürfe zurückweise. Keine dieser Anschuldigungen seien in einer der Konferenzen in den letzten sechs Monaten Thema gewesen. Auch habe ihn keiner von den beiden vorher mal angesprochen oder die Gelegenheit gegeben, sich dazu zu äußern.

Auch für Liam Morgan, Chefreporter von „Inside the Games“ kommen die Vorwürfe aus dem Nichts:

„Ich bin überrascht über den Zeitpunkt, es scheint, als wollten die Beiden die Coronakrise politisch für sich nutzen. Ich vermute, dahinter steckt, dass der Präsident gesagt hatte, er wolle sein Amt nur für eine Amtszeit ausüben und als er im Februar ankündigte doch wieder anzutreten, einige im Präsidium verärgert waren und jetzt Druck auf ihn ausüben wollen.“

Bei der letzten Wahl 2017 war Weikerts heutiger Stellvertreter, der Katarer Khalil Al-Mohannadi sein Gegenkandidat, der damals zurückzog.

„Wer weiß, vielleicht wurde ihm damals etwas versprochen, was er jetzt nicht bekommt“, mutmaßt Liam Morgan.

„Bisher gute Arbeit gemacht“

Ob Al-Mohannadi oder Sörling im Juni nächsten Jahres gegen ihn antreten wollen, ist nicht bekannt, keiner von beiden hat entsprechende Ambitionen bisher geäußert.

Seit dem Schreiben ist nichts weiter nach außen gedrungen, die Vorwürfe sind bislang nicht unterfüttert oder in irgendeiner Weise belegt worden. Sörling kündigte gegenüber „Inside the Games“ an, dass sie nach der Pandemie weitere Informationen dazu geben würde.

Ob es sich um ein taktisches Manöver handelt, um vorzufühlen, wie die Mitglieder darauf reagieren oder der Versuch schon ein Jahr vor der Wahl Druck aufzubauen, lässt sich auch für Branchenkenner Liam Morgan nicht ausmachen. Bisher hinterlasse Weikerts Krisenmanagement bei ihm einen ganz anderen Eindruck:

„Ich finde, die ITTF gehört eher zu den Verbänden, die mit der Krise gerade besser umgehen, die haben sofort die Gehälter der Führungsebene gekürzt, haben die Arbeitsverträge der Mitarbeiter temporär auf Teilzeit gesetzt, die Verbandsführung konferiert regelmäßig, es scheint, dass da bisher gute Arbeit gemacht wurde.“

Tischtennis kontaktlos, aber in der Halle

Auch der Vorwurf, dass er sich unabgesprochen mit nationalen Verbandsvertretern in Verbindung gesetzt habe um für sich Wahlkampf zu betreiben, sieht Liam Morgan so nicht belegt.

„Der Präsident hat die Aufgabe sich danach zu erkundigen, wie es den einzelnen Mitgliedsverbänden in dieser Zeit geht. Das ist das, was Präsidenten derzeit tun, in dieser globalen Krise tun sollten.“

Konkrete Streitpunkte in der inzwischen verschlossenen Führungsebene könnten derzeit sein, ob es in diesem Jahr noch Wettbewerbe geben bzw. darauf gedrängt werden soll. Die bislang auf Ende September verschobene WM in Südkorea und der für Oktober terminierte World Team Cup in Düsseldorf sind noch ausstehende Höhepunkte.

Fallen diese aus, könnte es dazu kommen, dass in diesem Jahr nichts mehr stattfindet, was noch entsprechende Einnahmen generiert. Die Prognose ist momentan schwierig. Tischtennis ist zwar kontaktlos, aber eben auch ein Hallensport, und die Abstände wiederum nicht so groß.

Nach Corona Beruhigung genauso möglich wie heiße Phase

Thomas Weikert übernahm das Amt als Weltverbandspräsident 2014 von seinem Vorgänger Adham Sharara, ein in Ägypten geborener Kanadier, der im vergangenen Jahr für vier Jahre suspendiert wurde u.a. wegen Unregelmäßigkeiten und offensichtlicher Interessenkonflikte.

Dass Weikert anders als angekündigt nun doch noch einmal antreten will, begründete der 58-jährige Jurist damit, dass er die Stabilisierung des Verbands weiterführen wolle und auch entsprechende Signale aus dem Verband erhalten habe.

Noch ist es mehr ein Jahr bis zur Wahl. Möglich, dass die Vorwürfe im Sande verlaufen, möglich aber auch, dass es nach Abflauen der Corona-Krise so richtig heiß zur Sache geht.
World table tennis association
Deputies concern President Thomas Weikert

In the past few days, an email from the Swedish Association (SBTF) has caused unrest in the World Table Tennis Association ITTF. The content included various allegations against the German World Association President Thomas Weikert and the call not to re-elect him. This defends itself and sees the allegations baseless.

By Jessica Sturmberg

It was a joint letter from Deputy President Khalil Al-Mohannadi of Qatar and Vice President of Finance Petra Sörling of Sweden. The content had it all:

Thomas Weikert's leadership style is questioned as having his own interests over those of the association and not dealing well with the corona crisis. During this time, he had taken too few strategic and constructive initiatives to protect the international organization structurally and financially from damage.

It is also criticized that Weikert contacted various national association representatives with the aim of securing his re-election in the coming year.

The letter went to all members of the World Association. Petra Sörling as the sender did not want to comment further on the DLF request. She points out that the top management has agreed to work together as a team now in order to put the priority on safeguarding the sport in this difficult time.

"It seems that the two want to use the corona crisis politically for themselves"

Thomas Weikert also does not want to comment on what he said to the industry service "Inside the Games" at the moment, namely that he rejects all blanket and non-specific allegations. None of these allegations have been discussed at any of the conferences in the past six months. Neither of the two had spoken to him before or given the opportunity to comment on it.

For Liam Morgan, chief reporter from "Inside the Games", the accusations come from nowhere:

"I am surprised at the time, it seems that the two want to use the corona crisis politically for themselves. I suspect it is because the President said he only wanted to serve for one term, and when he announced he would resume in February, some were upset in the Bureau and now want to put pressure on him. ”

At the last election in 2017, Weikert's current deputy, Qatar Khalil Al-Mohannadi, was his opponent, who then withdrew.

"Who knows, maybe he was promised something back then that he doesn't get now," Liam Morgan speculates.

"Well done so far"

It is not known whether Al-Mohannadi or Sörling want to compete against him in June next year, neither of them has expressed any ambitions so far.

Nothing has emerged since the letter was written, so far the allegations have not been substantiated or substantiated in any way. Sörling announced to "Inside the Games" that she would provide further information after the pandemic.

Industry expert Liam Morgan cannot say whether it is a tactical maneuver to pretend how the members are reacting to it or trying to build up pressure a year before the election. So far, Weikert's crisis management has left him with a completely different impression:

"I think the ITTF is one of the associations that are dealing better with the crisis right now, they have immediately cut management salaries, temporarily put employees' employment contracts on a part-time basis, the association leadership is conferred regularly, it seems that has been so far good job was done. "

Table tennis contactless, but in the hall

Liam Morgan does not see the accusation that he had contacted the national association representatives without agreement to campaign for himself.

“The President's job is to find out how the individual member associations are doing at this time. This is what presidents should do right now in this global crisis. "

Concrete issues in the now closed management level could currently be whether there will be competitions this year or whether they should be pushed for. The World Cup in South Korea, which has been postponed until the end of September, and the World Team Cup in Düsseldorf scheduled for October are still outstanding highlights.

If these fail, it could happen that nothing will take place this year that still generates corresponding income. The forecast is currently difficult. Table tennis is contactless, but it is also an indoor sport and the distances are not that big.

After corona calming just as possible as hot phase

In 2014, Thomas Weikert took over as President of the World Association from his predecessor Adham Sharara, a Canadian born in Egypt, who was suspended for four years last year due to irregularities and obvious conflicts of interest.

The 58-year-old lawyer explained that Weikert wants to start again, contrary to what was announced, by saying that he wants to continue stabilizing the association and has also received appropriate signals from the association.

It is still more than a year until the election. It is possible that the allegations have fizzled out, but it is also possible that things will get really hot after the Corona crisis has subsided.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Slightly related, the geniuses at USATT sent an email to their affiliated clubs stating the following Absolutely insane guidelines for their reopening.

Hire a doctor to serve as the clubs medical director.
Hire a lawyer for legal guidance/risks.
Deep clean facility and document cleaning using video and logs.
Use CDC approved cleaning products.
Mandatory distancing with masks and gloves.
No socializing.
Mark floors for social distancing.
Daily temp checks and completion of pre screening sheets.
Emergency response training.
Expand lobby space with no seating in lobby area.
Designate a specific area for medical aid station.
Inventory cleaning supplies
Written procedures for cleaning protocol.
Develop a written policy for sanitizing tables.
Only one practice partner per day.
No switching sides.

We can only hope the ITTF is more grounded in reality.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Slightly related, the geniuses at USATT sent an email to their affiliated clubs stating the following Absolutely insane guidelines for their reopening.

No socializing.
No switching sides.

Wow. That is a fantastical level of arse-covering.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
My thought immediately was that a medical aid station at a TT club (for Covid-19????) would make things worse. A gigantic sack of wank to use a phrase I heard from a British player once.

Even the things on that list that could sort of realistically be done almost certainly won't be done. Dont believe for a second that much sanitizing will be happening. Do YOU want to be the one in charge of that?

Sorry to partially hijack the thread. We can now return to Weickert vs. Other people just like him and other weird stories about sports federations.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndySmith
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017

No socializing.
No switching sides.

Are you building space shuttles there? :D

Sorry to partially hijack the thread. We can now return to Weickert vs. Other people just like him and other weird stories about sports federations.

it was totally worth it :D

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Yes, in fact NASA Headquarters is in my city, but I don't personally need to go to outer space. I am happy to emigrate to some place more nearby but sane, like New Zealand; or maybe a village near a small city in the south of France.

Last edited: