What Made Timo Boll SO GOOD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Timo never was the best ever but he played in an era were the Chinese made insane efforts to dominate table tennis so it was not possible for Europeans to win.

European players have to do school and usually a job later so they can't put in the same effort.

Had waldner played in the 2010s he likely wouldn't have won a WC or Olympic gold either.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Waldner went all in on table tennis from an extremely early age. School was completely out of the picture very early. The amount of training he had as a pre teen (parts in China) is beyond what any other westerner is exposed to today. He had a god given talent but he combined it with a ridiculous amount of training. He constantly keeps saying how lucky he was to have Appelgren as a sparring partner. Appelgren is a massive part of his success. Timo had no one near that level to help him develop when he was 10-12.

Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
One thing not mentioned so far is Timo's form. Both his forehand and backhand are a bit different than most players. He has extremely compact strokes and is incredibly balanced when playing. He almost always seems in control of the point and rarely overextends himself. He might not have won the World Championship but his record and playing longevity are both amazing.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
giphy.gif

Boll is lucky to live in a weak era, actually so weak that he could stay relevant for the little amount of work he puts into practice. Had he played in Rosskopf's era, he wouldn't have won 7 times.

The only "excuses" I could come up with that would make him noteworthy are, not his hand-switch shots, but his FH slow loop and BH fast rip, which also highlight the biggest tradition(flaw) of the German team(at least for Rosskopf, Boll and Ovtcharov :rolleyes:), the lack of FH power loops!

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
Lol. table tennis is like chess, you have own tactics and levels of game.
Yall forgot 2008-2014 after glue ban era with Celluloid when he wasnt In top 10.
Aruna makes him dance In 2016.
Right now table tennis is Dead, but Timo gets his equipment knowledge, he is not EJ but he understand equipment and his lack of fitness move and his technique + quality gives him new life .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Lol. table tennis is like chess, you have own tactics and levels of game.
Yall forgot 2008-2014 after glue ban era with Celluloid when he wasnt In top 10.
Aruna makes him dance In 2016.
Right now table tennis is Dead, but Timo gets his equipment knowledge, he is not EJ but he understand equipment and his lack of fitness move and his technique + quality gives him new life .

That is incorrect information.

Timo was in the top10 every year 2008-2014 and top5 each of those years except 12 and 14.

Imo it is pretty amazing that he still is top10 because the rule changes should have hurt him as the slow, spinny loop was his biggest asset and that was taken away from him.

Pretty amazing adjustment from him to still be good in the bang bang era.

He obviously isn't as good as the top Chinese but still amazing to be a top10 player at age 40.

It is a bit of a weak era in Europe right now but still have have to be quite good to be top10 at that age.

says Aging is a killer
What is it about Timo that makes so many people dislike the man and his achievements?

What is it about Timo that makes so many people dislike the man and his achievements?
This has always dogged him on forums since the start of forums in the early noughties. If he does well, someone always pops up to give some excuse why player X lost or how lucky he(Boll) was to be around when X and Y were not playing etc etc. He was so lucky to get to number 1 because the ranking system is faulty etc etc.
Is it because of the 2 big WW and he's German? Same with the Austrian, Schlager, when he won the world title. So many try to attribute that to luck.

One never hears about the Chinese players being lucky to be from country that has a government that spends millions on a training facility for each player. It is always about how great these players are as if it was sheer talent that gave them their wins. Never talk about the army of coaches etc and time that they are granted for preparation for each tournament.

Reactions: Kolev
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Waldner found a way to beat every generation of Chinese players he faced and I highly recommend watching the Bragden documentary to see how the Swedes had to innovate to beat the Chinese at the WTTTC. Waldner constantly adapted his technique and he stood in the Olympic Finals 13 years after he was in his first WTTC finals. He even made the Olympic semi-finals beating Boll and Ma Lin 17 years after he was in his first WTTC finals. To suggest Waldner wouldn't have won any titles in 2010+, especially when after the Ma Long, Xu Xin, Zhang Jike generation, we haven't had a collective first class generation of Chinese players, is very incorrect IMO.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Hey! I find it a bit underwhelming to hear that the “X-Factor” of the greatest players is that they’re perfectly balanced. But nonetheless, I completely agree with you! If we look at Ma Long for example... it’s damn near impossible to find some special trait about him that makes him number 1. His game is just, fundamentally perfect, little to no weaknesses. And it seems that when we discuss the top players of all time, maybe it will be more beneficial to talk about their weaknesses than their specialty. Or rather the magnitude of their weaknesses... For example, Timo’s backhand wasn’t as destructive as forehand early in his career.

It's underwhelming but it makes sense. If you aren't very well balanced, the collective minds of the top 100 players and their coaches will sniff out your weaknesses pretty quickly and you'll only end up with one major tournament victory at best. The Chinese are amazing at studying their opponents. Miu Hirano had some breakthrough success but the Chinese women's team were able to nullify her strengths after studying her. You don't get to be in the top 10 for as long as Boll, Samsonov etc. if you aren't extremely well balanced.

Reactions: TheWiseMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
That is incorrect information.

Timo was in the top10 every year 2008-2014 and top5 each of those years except 12 and 14.

Imo it is pretty amazing that he still is top10 because the rule changes should have hurt him as the slow, spinny loop was his biggest asset and that was taken away from him.

Pretty amazing adjustment from him to still be good in the bang bang era.

He obviously isn't as good as the top Chinese but still amazing to be a top10 player at age 40.

It is a bit of a weak era in Europe right now but still have have to be quite good to be top10 at that age.

Indeed! Above world's top 15, for more than 18 years...

https://ranking.ittf.com/#/rankings/progress/101222/SEN/M;SINGLES

TB_ranking_progress.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SofaChamp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
This has always dogged him on forums since the start of forums in the early noughties. If he does well, someone always pops up to give some excuse why player X lost or how lucky he(Boll) was to be around when X and Y were not playing etc etc. He was so lucky to get to number 1 because the ranking system is faulty etc etc.
Is it because of the 2 big WW and he's German? Same with the Austrian, Schlager, when he won the world title. So many try to attribute that to luck.

One never hears about the Chinese players being lucky to be from country that has a government that spends millions on a training facility for each player. It is always about how great these players are as if it was sheer talent that gave them their wins. Never talk about the army of coaches etc and time that they are granted for preparation for each tournament.

Hey Tinykin! So I completely understand what you mean, but it’s important to realize that a player’s skill, greatness, and status is all relative. For example, here in the USA, the US National Champion Kanak Jha is considered something of a prodigy. He’s won the the US Nationals 3 to 4 times in a row at a very early age (first Nationals win at age 16 I think). But would we really compare his skill and status to someone like Waldner or Ma Long? Probably not. Kanak is idolized in the USA, but by no means is he an international legend. When we talk about how great a player is, it’s important to know the context. It seems as though there are two conversations going on on this thread... both equally valid. One being, how good was Timo Boll compared to the players of his time, and the second being how good was Timo Boll compared to people like Waldner and Ma Long. I agree with everyone claiming that Timo Boll wasn’t as good as the greats of table tennis, because his reputation just doesn’t compare. But I also agree with those saying that Timo was one of the greatest players of his time, as at the time he was able to secure a number 1 world ranking and more.

And I agree with you to a degree! The environment definitely plays a large factor into how dominant players tend to become. China spends a great deal of time and money into their table tennis players to generate the players like Ma Lin, Fan Zhendong etc., but talent undoubtedly plays some part too. Without training, time, and money, talented players can’t grow into table tennis legends, and without talent the training, time, and money go to waste. Just my thoughts ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Please don’t get me wrong. I love Boll in the same way that I love Appelgren but neither of them are up there along with the legends (Jiang Jialiang is no 1 for me but that’s probably a generation thing).

Fun fact: I’ve trained in the same hall as Dina numerous times without taking too much notice but when I saw Timo walking down the hall in Düsseldorf during a training camp I immediately ran up to him like a teenager and asked for a selfie. Such a nice guy! I had a quick chat with him (my 7th grade German teacher would’ve been proud) and he was soooo nice.

I would agree with that. He is obviously no Ma long or waldner but still was very good for two decades and I agree he is one of the friendliest athletes I know.

Here is a video of him playing a rec player with a frying pan in a German show. He lost but was smiling all the time and having fun.

https://youtu.be/I7wYg-bKW7Y

says Aging is a killer
Hey Tinykin! So I completely understand what you mean, but it’s important to realize that a player’s skill, greatness, and status is all relative. For example, here in the USA, the US National Champion Kanak Jha is considered something of a prodigy. He’s won the the US Nationals 3 to 4 times in a row at a very early age (first Nationals win at age 16 I think). But would we really compare his skill and status to someone like Waldner or Ma Long? Probably not. Kanak is idolized in the USA, but by no means is he an international legend. When we talk about how great a player is, it’s important to know the context. It seems as though there are two conversations going on on this thread... both equally valid. One being, how good was Timo Boll compared to the players of his time, and the second being how good was Timo Boll compared to people like Waldner and Ma Long. I agree with everyone claiming that Timo Boll wasn’t as good as the greats of table tennis, because his reputation just doesn’t compare. But I also agree with those saying that Timo was one of the greatest players of his time, as at the time he was able to secure a number 1 world ranking and more.

And I agree with you to a degree! The environment definitely plays a large factor into how dominant players tend to become. China spends a great deal of time and money into their table tennis players to generate the players like Ma Lin, Fan Zhendong etc., but talent undoubtedly plays some part too. Without training, time, and money, talented players can’t grow into table tennis legends, and without talent the training, time, and money go to waste. Just my thoughts ;)

I get that. But, look how posters here write-off his 2002 World Cup win as not that great an achievement. But from wikipedia, "With his victory in the 2002 Table Tennis World Cup held in Jinan, China (where he beat the world champion Wang Liqin and the Olympic champion Kong Linghui)". He beat the reigning WC and OC in their own backyard!!!
Anyway, as I said, I don't understand it. But maybe he has been too much of a nice guy which has caused him to lose crucial matches.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I get that. But, look how posters here write-off his 2002 World Cup win as not that great an achievement. But from wikipedia, "With his victory in the 2002 Table Tennis World Cup held in Jinan, China (where he beat the world champion Wang Liqin and the Olympic champion Kong Linghui)". He beat the reigning WC and OC in their own backyard!!!
Anyway, as I said, I don't understand it. But maybe he has been too much of a nice guy which has caused him to lose crucial matches.

Samsonov and Primorac have won World Cups as well. No one is writing off anything in the manner you are making out, everyone knows the World Cup is not the World Championship and is making that point. The World Cup is not as hard to win relatively speaking as the WTTC is and our statements are just emphasizing that that the distinction wasn't made in the first post.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hey! I find it a bit underwhelming to hear that the “X-Factor” of the greatest players is that they’re perfectly balanced. But nonetheless, I completely agree with you! If we look at Ma Long for example... it’s damn near impossible to find some special trait about him that makes him number 1. His game is just, fundamentally perfect, little to no weaknesses. And it seems that when we discuss the top players of all time, maybe it will be more beneficial to talk about their weaknesses than their specialty. Or rather the magnitude of their weaknesses... For example, Timo’s backhand wasn’t as destructive as forehand early in his career.

Schlager once said that the things that make great players great are not found in the textbooks. If you are looking for a textbook explanation of what makes a player great, you won't get an insightful answer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
Schlager once said that the things that make great players great are not found in the textbooks. If you are looking for a textbook explanation of what makes a player great, you won't get an insightful answer.

Agreed my friend. Although I’m not looking for a “textbook” explanation per se... it’s more of an exercise for us, as table tennis players or coaches. There’s much to be gained from analyzing the play styles of the best players. Simply stated, we can see what they do right, and what they do wrong. Whether you consider this as a textbook explanation or not, I think there’s a lot to learn. But I do agree, finding textbook explanations for why Timo is so good is difficult, but I certainly don’t think it’s impossible.

Jan 2018
LGL's take on the historical status of Boll after WTTC 2011, where he earned his only Bronze medal in singles.

https://sports.sohu.com/20110517/n280607163.shtml
  “应该说波尔对于中国男乒来说,是一个非常特别的人物。其实我们的对手整体水平较高的还是在亚洲,但波尔在欧洲一个人给中国男乒造成了很大威胁,特别是明年伦敦奥运会依然是他的主场,相信他肯定会承载所有欧洲人的期望。”刘国梁说。

在具体提到波尔这名球员时,刘国梁表示波尔目前的特点气质,颇为类似他自己打球时的瑞典老将瓦尔德内尔,毕竟目前波尔是中国的最大对手。“波尔现在就是第二个老瓦,他的技术水平和对中国队的威胁都证明了这一点。但是波尔要想在运动成绩上超越老瓦并不容易,毕竟老瓦打了那么多年,而且是在中国低谷的时候,老瓦取得了很辉煌的成绩。现在属于中国队的鼎盛时期,时代不一样,他们承载的任务不一样。”
"It should be noted that Boll is a very unique figure to the CNT. In fact, our opponents, those with a higher overall level, still remain in Asia, but Boll alone in Europe poses a great threat to the CNT, especially for the London Olympics next year that will still be his home turf. I believe he will certainly carry expectations for all Europeans," said Liu Guoliang.

When referring specifically to this player, Liu Guoliang said that Boll's current characteristics are quite similar to the Swedish veteran Waldner in his playing days. After all, Boll is currently China's greatest opponent. "Boll is now Waldner 2.0. His technical level and threat to the CNT have proved this point. But it is no small feat for Boll to surpass Waldner in accomplishments. After all, Waldner has played for so long, and he achieved brilliant results when China was in a slump. The CNT is in its prime right now. The times are different, and the missions they carry are different."

To give you an idea what kind of existence Waldner was, below is how the CNT is officially depicted when Cai Zhenhua picked up the baton back in the early 90's, after Sweden dethroned China.

http://www.sport.gov.cn/n322/n3407/n3413/c564658/content.html
1.3.1 技术突破
蔡振华执教伊始,中国男子乒乓球队技术落后,士气低落。男队员大体都有恐惧症,人人敬畏瓦尔德内尔。著名运动员马文革在第40届世锦赛之后还说,与瓦尔德内尔打球,“打到一个球,就是赚了一个球,打不到反倒属于正常。因为自己没有那个能力。”好些运动员在宿舍里粘贴着瓦氏画像与照片。有的运动员更是模仿瓦尔德内尔的行头,从胶皮到底板,再到赛前粘贴胶皮等,认为唯此才能打球。蔡振华执教之后,严正指出当时中国乒乓球的问题是“创新不够”和“直拍进入了死胡同”,唯一的新路就是必须在技战术的打法上实行变革。中国乒乓球队男队在1992年第25届西班牙巴塞罗那奥运会上由吕林与王涛合作的双打获得了金牌;在1993年的世锦赛上由原来的第7名获得了第2名的好成绩;在1995年天津世锦赛上与女队配合,囊括了全部7项乒乓球冠军;1996年第26届美国亚特兰大奥运会上,中国运动员囊括了全部四块金牌。至此,蔡振华执教以来的第一个飞跃已经完成,中国队特别是中国男队再次走到了世界乒乓球的领先位置。
1.3.1 Technical breakthrough
At the beginning of Cai Zhenhua's coaching, the Chinese men's table tennis team was trailing in techniques and the morale was low. Members of the men's team had phobias in general, and everyone was in awe of Waldner. Ma Wenge once said after the 40th World Championships, playing with Waldner, “making a shot is as good as making off with a point. Not making it is the norm, because I'm not equal to the task.” The dormitory of some players is filled with portraits and photographs of Waldner. Some even imitated Waldner’s setup, from rubbers to blades to gluing before the match, thinking that is the only way it is meant to be played. After Cai Zhenhua took office, he pointed out the problems of Chinese table tennis at the time were "insufficient innovation" and "penhold has run into a dead end." The only way out of it was a major overhaul of the technical and tactical play...

Last but not least, discussions and select comments from a forum in Taiwan back in late 2015.

https://myptt.cc/article/tabletennis/M.1450417451.A.CCF
我想請問一下德國名將波爾在桌球界的歷史地位算不算高?

以一個非中國隊出身的球員

當然一定比不上華德納和皮爾森

但是如果和老薩,蓋亭,施拉格,塞夫等比有比較高嗎?

波爾其實好像從2000年以來一直被中國鎖定是頭號勁敵

但是現在被年輕的奧恰取代

不過這將近十五年來的波爾始終很平穩且保持競爭力,即使到今年世錦賽也打得不差

可惜被鎖定因此沒有拿過任何三大賽的冠軍

不國他的球品好像很多人都很欣賞也很喜愛他

不知道以他這一生的成就大概可以排在非中國球員中第幾呢?

17 推 magicdio: 桌球史上最後一位有能力威脅中國的歐洲選手如何? 12/18 18:56
18 推 mikedo: 生錯時代,剛好在中國隊開無雙的時代 12/18 19:38
19 → mikedo: 不然技術面成就我覺得優於其他老將 12/18 19:39
20 推 magicdio: 還好啦 他算剛剛好,早點遇到老瓦,現在的話一樣被打好 12/18 20:15
21 → magicdio: 玩的,他算幸運兒了。 12/18 20:15
29 → vcvca: 老瓦的成就 在於長期能爭TOP的水準以上 12/18 21:47
30 → vcvca: 但中國現在是等於TOP 12/18 21:47
31 推 vcvca: 所以波爾算是生錯時代吧 但其他好手如吳尚垠也是 早生一點 12/18 21:51
32 → vcvca: 歷史地位一定比現在好很多 12/18 21:52
33 推 magicdio: 我覺得波爾的時代,中國雖強,但是打法多元,算是百花齊 12/18 22:26
34 → magicdio: 放,比賽也算上軌道,轉播也多,比賽比現在好看多了,波 12/18 22:26
35 → magicdio: 爾的時代也是讓他賺到最多錢的時代,再早再晚點,他應該 12/18 22:26
36 → magicdio: 都拿不到這個地位。 12/18 22:26
37 推 hesitates: 波爾有一陣子2003左右技術是最先進的 只是當時心理素質 12/18 23:50
38 → hesitates: 不佳 那時候中國中近台反拉和擺速都不如他 12/18 23:51
39 → hesitates: 後來技術被中國超越後 就再在也追不上了 12/18 23:53
40 → hesitates: 另外我覺得瑞典人的正手普遍比德國人好 瓦 佩 都不會夾 12/18 23:53
41 → hesitates: 大臂 但是德國人從羅斯科夫到波爾都夾大臂 限制了德國y 12/18 23:54
42 → hesitates: 人最終的成就 不知為何會這樣 12/18 23:54
43 → wfjh31734: 吳尚垠我覺得身在別的時代也是差不多..狀態起伏超級大 12/19 00:02
44 推 magicdio: 百花齊放就是什麼打法都有,都能佔有一席之地,從瑞典人 12/19 00:27
45 → magicdio: ,老施,老普,老薩,反手王,梅茲,沒一個相同的,波爾 12/19 00:27
46 → magicdio: 的打法特色就是旋轉強,沒完沒了,他的全勝時期,正是灌 12/19 00:27
47 → magicdio: 膠最盛行的時代,他用ALC,這些都會影響他的動作,但是 12/19 00:27
48 → magicdio: 拿動作跟成就來說,我認為是無關的。 12/19 00:27
49 → magicdio: 有經歷過那個時代的球友應該有印象,小球,BRYCE刷五次 12/19 00:29
50 → magicdio: ,誰敢站近台? 12/19 00:29
51 推 magicdio: BOLL的半出臺,二枚腰極轉小拉球,是他的最大武器,後來 12/19 00:38
52 → magicdio: 年紀大,打不出來,就只剩下吃經驗了。 12/19 00:38
53 推 pippo1: 講到半出台球不能不提到賽夫 根本是半出台的超級專家 12/19 02:49
54 推 vcvca: 波爾只有那次,能跟中國競爭TOP吧,其他都被電... 12/19 09:46
55 → vcvca: 百花齊放是發生在中國大陸 同一個大團隊練出來的 每個TOP 12/19 09:47
56 → vcvca: 打法都不一樣 就是大陸強大以後 奪去所有的光芒 12/19 09:47
57 → vcvca: 後來再嘗試新的東西的 比較多是日本 12/19 09:48
58 → vcvca: 不過他們的新東西 沒辦法競爭到拿牌的等級 12/19 09:49
59 推 magicdio: 波爾可是很長一段時間都是有能力威脅中國的選手,現在可 12/19 10:39
60 → magicdio: 是沒有這種人物,以打法的變化性來說,中國從來就不會比 12/19 10:39
61 → magicdio: 外國的多樣,BOLL其實應該也研究過近台打法,我相信他們 12/19 10:39
62 → magicdio: 應該是放棄了。 12/19 10:39
63 → vcvca: 有能力威脅中國是相對性吧 他長期是非中國TOP沒錯 12/19 19:52
64 → vcvca: 但其實 根本沒辦法跟中國競爭獎牌 12/19 19:53
65 推 magicdio: boll的年代,大概是46開,偶爾可以嬴個一個中國選手,甚 12/19 20:26
66 → magicdio: 至出現連過三個中國選手,競爭獎牌還不是沒有啦,現在只 12/19 20:26
67 → magicdio: 剩下28開了。 12/19 20:26

I'd like to know if the German top player Boll’s historical status in table tennis is high or not?

As a non-Chinese player

Certainly not as good as Waldner and Persson

But is he higher when compared to Samsonov, Gatien, Schlager, Saive etc.?

Boll seems to have been locked in on by China as the No 1. opponent since 2000

But now he is replaced by the young Ovtcharov

However, in the past 15 years, Boll has always been stable and competitive, and he was decent even in this WTTC.

A pity he's been locked in on and so hasn’t won any titles in the 3 majors[TL's note: corrected by the early commenters afterwards]

However, he seems to be well-liked for his demeanor

I wonder how high he could rank among non-Chinese players given his accomplishments?

17 magicdio: The last European player to threaten China in the history of table tennis. How is that?
18 mikedo: Born in the wrong era. Right in the era of unparalleled China
19 mikedo: Otherwise, I think he's better than other veterans in terms of technical accomplishments
20 magicdio: Not that bad. He's all right. If he were to meet Waldner earlier, he'd have
21 magicido: been toyed around. He's the lucky one.
29 vcvca: Waldner's accomplishments lie in his ability to compete for the TOP for a long time
30 vcvca: but China is now equal to the TOP
31 vcvca: So Boll was born in the wrong era, but other good players like Oh Sangeun was in the same boat. Born a little earlier,
32 vcvca: his historical status would've been much higher than now
33 magicdio: I think for Boll's heyday, China might be strong, but there's a variety of styles, hundred schools of thought per se,
34 magicdio: the tournaments were well-developed, there were more broadcasts, the matches were much more entertaining,
35 magicdio: Boll's heyday also made him the most money. Had it been earlier or later,
36 magicdio: he likely wouldn't have reached his current status
37 hesitates: Boll was for a while the most advanced in techniques circa 2003, but his psychological quality at the time
38 hesitates: was poor. Back then China was not as good as him in close-to-mid-distance counterloops and consecutive strokes
39 hesitates: Later on, his techniques were surpassed by China, and could no longer keep up
40 hesitates: In addition, I think the FH of the Swedes is generally better than that of the Germans. Waldner and Persson don't keep
41 hesitates: their upper arms bent, but the Germans, from Rosskopf to Boll do, limiting the
42 hesitates: ultimate accomplishment of the Germans. I wonder why that is
43 wfjh31734: For Oh Sangeun, I think he wouldn't be that far off in a different era...fluctuating tremendously
44 magicdio: Hundred schools of thought means any styles you can imagine, with each holding its own, from the Swedes,
45 magicdio: to Schlager, Primorac, Samsonov, Kreanga(?), Maze, no one is the same, Boll's
46 magicdio: style is all about strong spin, with no end to it. His prime was precisely
47 magicdio: in the most popular era of gluing, and he uses the ALC, all of which affect his strokes, but
48 magicdio: comparing strokes with accomplishments, I think they have nothing to do with each other.
49 magicdio: Those who experienced that era should have the impression that, with 38mm balls, Bryce plus 5 layers of speedglue
50 magicdio: Who dares to stay close to the table?
51 magicdio: Boll's half-long, double heavy slow loop, was his WMD, but after
52 magicdio: he got old, he couldn't do it anymore, instead relying on his experience
53 pippo1: When it comes to half-long balls, you gotta mention Saive, who is simply the go-to expert for it
54 vcvca: Only that time was Boll able to compete with China for the TOP, he got tased in the rest...
55 vcvca: Hundred schools of thought happened only in mainland China. They were trained by the same big team. Every TOP
56 vcvca: played a different style. It was only after mainland became stronger, stealing the show
57 vcvca: Later on, it was Japan that tried new stuff more
58 vcvca: But their new stuff was not at the level to compete for medals
59 magicdio: Boll was a player who had been able to threaten China for a long time, but now
60 magicdio: there's no such figure. In terms of variability of play style, China has never been
61 magicdio: more diverse than foreign countries. Boll has probably studied the close-to-table style, but I believe they
62 magicdio: have given up.
63 vcvca: Being capable of threatening China is relative. No doubt he's the long-term non-Chinese TOP
64 vcvca: But in fact, he simply can't compete with China for medals
65 magicdio: In Boll's heyday, roughly 40-60, beating the odd CNT player, or
66 magicdio: even getting past 3 of them at once, so not like he couldn't compete for medals, but now
67 magicdio: it's only 20-80.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I read the Chinese made extreme efforts to beat timo when he came up like training non top prospects to play like timo and work as a sparring partner to figure him out. That is a big advantage the Chinese have, they usually hide their top prospects until they are 17-18 (with a few exceptions) but the rare non Chinese prodigies get studied early on since they are featured.

Harimoto has the same problem, he was a YouTube hit at age 12-13 which was good for his sponsor contracts but meant the Chinese were studying him since he was 12 thinking about plans to beat him, maybe even creating harimoto clones as sparring partners.

The Chinese did respect and fear young timo but they spent tons of money and time to find ways to beat him and figured him out. Same likely will happen with harimoto too, there are only like a handful of non Chinese guys that the Chinese fear so they can focus on those few guys and figure out strategies to beat them.

The Chinese players however usually just come up, play at the top for 5-6 years and then get replaced by the next wave so there is not as much time to figure them out as there is for the top euro players who tend to be at the top for 15+ years (waldner, samsonov, boll all played well till age 40 which almost no Chinese does).

Last edited: