Unspoken Rules?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
In baseball, there's what is known as unspoken rules. Examples: don't steal bases when you are up 4 or more runs later in the game; in the past a brush back pitch was expected if the batter preceding the present hitter blasted a home run; and hitters don't flip the bat after blasting a home run showing up the pitcher. When written these sound arcane. Does table tennis have unwritten rules? I believe so.

With Covid19, I've been watching LOTS of table tennis on YouTube via my subscriptions (including Table Tennis Daily) and searches. Part 1 and 2 history of Jon Waldner (3+ hours), Timo's matches, play and tricks of Adam BoBrow and much more. I've noticed the letter of the law regarding serves in serious play, even in championships matches, is not adhered to. It's common to see ball tosses be directed in multiple directions and never challenged. Most all other rules seems enforced. It seems to be a gentleman's agreement between the players to allow the ball to be directed rather than an non directed upward toss. I've not attended high level matches as yet. Is the protocol there the same? The YouTube videos I've watched show the "unspoken rules" exists.

Reactions: GusShnaps
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Read 1 reviews
The ball toss thing you talked about isn't really an "unspoken rule". It's actually more of an unforced rule. Hidden serves and "wrong" ball tosses are rarely called by the umpires, but that is mostly because it's hard to notice when an illegal serve happens (because of the angle they are seeing the match from).
It may also be hard for the other player to notice if the serve was legal or not.
There still isn't a "challenge" system, but VAR is being tested and will probably be implemented in the future, which might help with that. It was used in 2019's China Open for example, you should check it out.

With that said, there are certain "unspoken rules":
It's called "table tennis etiquette".

Examples:
- Don't serve when the opponent isn't ready
- Don't celebrate when you score a lucky point (hitting the net or an edge)
- Apologise when scoring a lucky point
- Giving out a mercy point when 10-0

Last edited:
Reactions: mat
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
if you are winning a game 10-0, give the player the next point so they atleast have 1 point when they lose :)

Reactions: mat
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Scream like a Banshee who just got their taliwhacker caught in the business end of a paper shredder after points... especially if it was a net, edge ball, or opponent missing the serve... 3x louder and longer on those.

Not.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: adi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Do not know about givning a point when 10-0. At paper yes and against Young players. But i think many players would be disturbed by this aktion if down 10-0.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Nice but where do we get the papre shredder

not

If a Paper Shredder is not immediately available, a generic $5 pair of locking pliers clamped tight enough on the meaty part of the feels for sure can produce the same result, perhaps even in a higher timbre, decibel level, and duration.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
  • Serve announces the score:
  • Responsible for the “edge ball”
  • Fairplay first, Umpire after.
  • The spectator is only “spectator”
  • “ Let ball” or over.
  • Don't disrupt another match.
  • Shake hand to respect.
  • Don't walk behind the playe