Do you play a musical instrument?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
As corona virus ceased most of the table tennis activities during the past few months, I have had plenty of time to listen and play music.
I thought what might be interesting is to see what musical instruments table tennis players play.

So post what you play, and if you have videos of yourself playing, share with us so we can enjoy it too!

I'll start first, I play the piano and clarinet.
Here's a playlist of my piano recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL761JRJ6YgK1RiZwDtGa9iq6Jzj9AsziG

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
I'm a pro musician, though I'm almost retired. I have a music degree, I sing professionally, play jazz piano, compose, arrange, teach, make instruments using bamboo, run two choirs and sing in a male quartet. I worked as Musical Director of various (mostly visual) theatre companies in the '80s, when I also used to play soprano saxophone and percussion and any number of ethnic instruments from round the world (now I just make things like that). I've run hundreds of instrument-making workshops, mostly for kids and mostly in the UK but also around the world with WOMAD. I've led a ska/funk band, played piano in many jazz groups, played oboe in classical orchestras, masterminded a huge music festival for kids with learning difficulties. Some people spend their lives mastering one instrument, but for me music is an endless world of possibility and I've never been content to stick with one 'bag' or style and I like to be involved in all aspects of it.
TT is my major hobby but music is my life ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2018
Read 1 reviews
Have you tried the Chinese erhu or the Japanese shakuhachi?
I'm a pro musician, though I'm almost retired. I have a music degree, I sing professionally, play jazz piano, compose, arrange, teach, make instruments using bamboo, run two choirs and sing in a male quartet. I worked as Musical Director of various (mostly visual) theatre companies in the '80s, when I also used to play soprano saxophone and percussion and any number of ethnic instruments from round the world (now I just make things like that). I've run hundreds of instrument-making workshops, mostly for kids and mostly in the UK but also around the world with WOMAD. I've led a ska/funk band, played piano in many jazz groups, played oboe in classical orchestras, masterminded a huge music festival for kids with learning difficulties. Some people spend their lives mastering one instrument, but for me music is an endless world of possibility and I've never been content to stick with one 'bag' or style and I like to be involved in all aspects of it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Have you tried the Chinese erhu or the Japanese shakuhachi?

Since I make instruments out of bamboo, I'm planning to make a shakuhachi when I'm old and wise enough.;)
Trouble is, living in England, it's hard/impossible to get the right kind of rootstock bamboo.
I don't play string instruments, so never tried an erhu. Played a few Chinese and Japanese reed instruments - hichiriki, sho etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
That's amazing! Which one is your favourite instrument? Which instrument are you most fluent with?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Thanks, Jeff! In answer to your question: Definitely piano these days, though my income is largely based around singing and running choirs. I'm a jazz pianist- I can play classically too and was trained that way, but I'd far rather have the spontaneity and improvisation of jazz. Trouble is, jazz piano isn't 'a career option', as they say - and far too often you end up doing gigs where people think you're just the background and don't listen.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Thanks, Jeff! In answer to your question: Definitely piano these days, though my income is largely based around singing and running choirs. I'm a jazz pianist- I can play classically too and was trained that way, but I'd far rather have the spontaneity and improvisation of jazz. Trouble is, jazz piano isn't 'a career option', as they say - and far too often you end up doing gigs where people think you're just the background and don't listen.
Nice, Jazz. Do you play the La La Land? haha

Do you have any recordings of your playing?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Practiced classical piano when I was younger, my level was around Grade 5, when I left it for school. Nowadays I play an old synthetizer and watch TwoSet videos. I made multiple attempts to practice regularly again, but university and a returning inflammation in my left wrist didn't let me. I restarted with a too harsch practice routine and it wasn't the best idea on a pianino with very heavy keys. However I still plan to restart in the summer, when I have time (just avoiding the long scales and arpeggio practice).

Reactions: JeffM
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I play jazz piano and played in clubs a bit in the late 1970s and early 1980s when I was in the university (it didn't help my grades because I preferred hanging out to studying!!l). These days I would not dare play in public. My chops have declined so much it would be embarrassing (and they weren't that great to begin with, but I was good at finding cool voicings and reharmonizing tunes and such). My biggest hero was Bill Evans. Always wanted to get more of that in my playing. These days I will sit down and play for myself a few times a week, but I never actually practice. Once in a while I will learn a new tune, but mostly I just play and see what comes out. Once in awhile I even like the result.

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I'm in awe. I dabble at the piano and have played some (acoustic, classical) guitar, but as far as regrets go — not developing musical ability up to the point of (say) fluidly playing Débussy, Ravel, Chopin, Rachmaninov, Liszt is a formidable one.

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Piano at roughly intermediate level with probably a handful of bad positioned finger habits.
Self-taught, no lessons nor note reading. Synthesia style.
The most advanced (not advanced) piece I can play is probably this:
as the first piece I decided to learn (probably not the smartest beginners choice xD), the 2:12-> part took me a long while to get down. Now I've learned several more but mostly at the same level or easier.

I've also tried blues, but I can't get it down since my left-hand refuses Independence (for now) :| (while ballade styled bass notes comes as easy top spins) with my unstable elbow problems the last few year I've not been hardcore practicing either. (as it makes it worse :(

Oh and I can play up to (difficulty level) F and Bm chords on guitar lol. just various strumming patterns. I keep my "finger play" to the piano. As that's my ears preference.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Piano at roughly intermediate level with probably a handful of bad positioned finger habits.
Self-taught, no lessons nor note reading. Synthesia style.
The most advanced (not advanced) piece I can play is probably this:
as the first piece I decided to learn (probably not the smartest beginners choice xD), the 2:12-> part took me a long while to get down. Now I've learned several more but mostly at the same level or easier.

I've also tried blues, but I can't get it down since my left-hand refuses Independence (for now) :| (while ballade styled bass notes comes as easy top spins) with my unstable elbow problems the last few year I've not been hardcore practicing either. (as it makes it worse :(

Oh and I can play up to (difficulty level) F and Bm chords on guitar lol. just various strumming patterns. I keep my "finger play" to the piano. As that's my ears preference.

Wow that's amazing, especially as you didn't have any lessons! :D
Is that your playing in the video? Sounds very nice and soothing.