Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 332 695
    B
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 695 332

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thomas.pong
    I agree that there's too soft, too hard and just right for me, but that "just right" is not the same for everybody and it can depend on what you pair it with and it can also evolve with your increasing level and physical training, and taste.
    I would bet that some pros are hurting the game using rubbers that are too hard.
    Hard rubbers will have less grip and not the same spring effect like I said above. It doesn't make any difference whether you are a noob or a pro. Your ability doesn't change the rubber.

For me, on the FH, if I'm using a tension rubber,
    Finger nails on a chalk board!!!
    Tell us what is tensioned. This is marking crap.
    We have been through this before on another forum.

So I'd never play with a tension rubber harder than 48 deg, at least right now. But a 53 deg Chinese tacky rubber, yes, because it's a whole different ball game.
    But then the soften their rubbers up with speed glue or boosting. Tacky top sheets help with the grip.

says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak

Master TTD Member 2,327 2,435
    says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak

Master TTD Member 2,435 2,327
    I play (well, would if there were play) R48. And I’ve played R53 before.

Rubber is as rubber does. Then again, R48 and R53 are not just “This one goes to ELEVEN! That’s ONE LOUDER!” different - they’re just different.

I loved the soft feel of R53. R48 feels firmer. Make no mistake, you feel the beast below that softness in R53 and the first few counterloops with it are terrifying. In a good way.

I’m still a bit sore for towly rekking it so soon, and regret the sense of caution that turned me towards R48. Which is a fine rubber and plays well, but I had already grown to like the jazz of R53.

“Just right”, it’s a strange thing. Fastarc G1, that’s just right. R48 is a notch north of just right, but R53 again felt just right, even though harder sponged - for me, not being a pro spoiling the sport like that young rascal Gauzy.

The Following User Likes yoass's Post:

thomas.pong

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 334 624
    I
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 624 334
    R53 has a thinner top sheet, R48 is similar,
    for example, (figures are just as an example not necessarily correct)
    If R47 with 2.0mm sponge, has pimples 1.5mm long and thickness of flat surface of top sheet is 0.5mm
    R48 / R53 2.0mm sponge, 1.5mm pimples and thickness of flat surface of top sheet is 0.4mm. 0.1mm thinner than R47’s
    Thats a 20% reduction compared to R47’s ‘flat top sheet’

This is where the manufacturers can make the ‘rubber’ feel softer and more elastic, they can also adjust pimple diameter, composition of the rubber etc
    I’m pretty sure that both R48 and R53 have had the ‘thickness of the flat surface’ thinned down, so they both feel fairly soft.
    Thinning the ‘flat surface’ also allows them to increase sponge thickness.

I have R48 in 2.0mm on a couple of blades, if feels fine to me, it’s been a while since I used R53, which for me was just brutal if your technique was off, R53 still felt soft when brush looping.
    As BB mentioned, I agree that harder sponges need a tackier top sheet, to help with control. Especially for the likes of myself, intermediate players etc
    i actually struggle with non tacky rubbers with sponge hardness of 50 degrees and up!!! My errors get ‘exaggerated’ !!! 😂😀

The Following User Likes IB66's Post:

thomas.pong

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234