What does the Japanese Women's Team have to do to beat China in Tokyo 2020?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Namely Taipei and South Korea(if they could get it straight), as Ishikawa/Hirano are shaky as a pair and have lost to CSY/CHT and JJH/SYB before. And to a lesser extent, Hong Kong and Singapore, depending how well DHK and FTW play on the day. Germany and North Korea are not the same as the one in WTTC 2016/Rio 2016 but a bad experience can haunt you for years as Ishikawa told in one episode of Table Tennis Japan. Japan has the overall edge here, but anything can happen if they lose the doubles, so best for them to keep an eye out for these teams.

Mizutani said earning the MS bronze had given him a huge confidence boost, which aided him in beating Boll in the MT SF and then Xu Xin in the MT final of Rio 2016. As LGL elaborated in that interview, the XD could become the fuse that triggers the cascade effect. So, if JunMima could reach the XD final and even beat XinWen, and ideally Ito could get the best draw of her career, reach and beat whoever in the WS final, then Japan would stand a much better chance at challenging China in the WT final.

I completely forgot about DPRK. The only substitution from 2016 until now was Ri Myong Sun has been switched with Kim Nam Hae, who is a hell of a player herself. However, I dont think Kim Song I has been as threatening in recent years, but anything can happen.

Germany and Singapore are wildcards too I agree. Germany team is still a bit up in the air. I've heard, but I cant name where, that their team will be chosen strictly by WR (Please correct me if I'm wrong!). Would that mean Mittelham would swap with Shan Xiaona? I don't think that would bode well overall for Germany, but that's my 2 cents.

I find the Singaporean lineup to be a little clearer. FTW, YMY and Lin Ye. Out of the three teams mentioned, I would probably think singapore is the largest threat since FTW and YMY seem to be playing well, albeit YMY hasn't played too often. But yea, it'll be interesting to see.

I'm secretly hoping for Ishikawa to make a breakthrough against China, but im not getting my hopes up haha

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
ITO needs to overcome her fear of CHEN Meng. then it will boost her confidence. I think she needs to adapt for the powerful BH of CHEN Meng by training more with men and adjust her tactics aiming more often for CM FH and middle ? and try new serves perhaps ?

if ITO can beat CHEN, then she proved she can beat anyone in a good day, but it has to be a perfect day as Japan will probably need her to win 2. Then the other point should be doubles. HAYATA / HIRANO ? or hope a youngster like NAGASAKI or KIHARA suddenly improves their level by 2 notches ?

I definitely think Hayata should be on the team, but maybe replacing Hirano instead of Ishikawa"

Ito+Hayata have a chance in winning their doubles match, as past records show, they were the best doubles team in Japan by far, with Nagasaki and Kihara slightly behind in my opinion.
Ito has to beat her opponent
Ishikawa can lose both
Hayata can win against Liu Shiwen if they play against each other.

I honestly don't see Japan having much chance with both Ishiawa and Hirano, the doubles have such a small chance and Ishikawa nor Hirano have beaten any top Chinese players lately (i give the edge to Ishikawa due to her win over Chen Mrng not to long ago).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
ITO needs to overcome her fear of CHEN Meng. then it will boost her confidence. I think she needs to adapt for the powerful BH of CHEN Meng by training more with men and adjust her tactics aiming more often for CM FH and middle ? and try new serves perhaps ?

if ITO can beat CHEN, then she proved she can beat anyone in a good day, but it has to be a perfect day as Japan will probably need her to win 2. Then the other point should be doubles. HAYATA / HIRANO ? or hope a youngster like NAGASAKI or KIHARA suddenly improves their level by 2 notches ?

I don't think Ito fears CM, it's just a bad match-up that will take some time to get used to and overcome. While short pips users has surely benefitted from the plastic ball (weaker spin compared to the past), heavy rotation (particularly underspin) is still what limits short pips from working its magic fully and CM has both spin and power. It's also well-known that putting more spin on the ball is a good strategy to constrain speedy players (although the reverse is also applicable). I'm sure Ito will win someday, maybe during a major tournament as the current WR#1 is 'well-known' for her performance in such events.

My personal opinion for Paris is Ito, Hayata and Kihara. Hayata can pair with either, or the two short pips players can also form an eccentric pair. I'm pretty impressed with Kihara's doubles ability (honestly I don't think Nagasaki adds much to the fray when they pair).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I don't think Ito fears CM, it's just a bad match-up that will take some time to get used to and overcome. While short pips users has surely benefitted from the plastic ball (weaker spin compared to the past), heavy rotation (particularly underspin) is still what limits short pips from working its magic fully and CM has both spin and power. It's also well-known that putting more spin on the ball is a good strategy to constrain speedy players (although the reverse is also applicable). I'm sure Ito will win someday, maybe during a major tournament as the current WR#1 is 'well-known' for her performance in such events.

My personal opinion for Paris is Ito, Hayata and Kihara. Hayata can pair with either, or the two short pips players can also form an eccentric pair. I'm pretty impressed with Kihara's doubles ability (honestly I don't think Nagasaki adds much to the fray when they pair).

I like your lineup for 2024. I think Kihara will make a name for herself like ito has in the next few years, who knows what they can do together.

So for 2020, do you think the current lineup has a shot at gold against china?

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi