How does table tennis in non usa works?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
My highest playing field would be the Nationals that I attended a couple of times. I could've went for 2-3 more but due to lack of money, they cancelled some of them. But the most exciting part was the Regionals. Our province was undefeated for years, and we would always be the overall champions (going against 6 other provinces). It was awesome for me since our sport was a team competition. Nobody gets left behind.

Aside from that, I played the National Open during my 1st year in high school and won 1st runner up. I also participated in the NCAA during college.

You could move to Bay Area, California, take some online courses at Ohlone College, and instantly be on their team to compete in the college regionals.

says Hello! My name is Cielo (pronounced Shell-o). I grew up...
Oct 2019
Skysowers, you have.been many.battles back in.phils. tibay mo brad hehe, im also from phils right now, so how did.you fair playing there in US? my only achivement was i won the singles in college department meet but with no varsity player played, i went back to playing basketball since that, after almosr.20 years last year march went back playing tt again just to teach my 10 year old in coming grade 6 daughter preparing.her for their school elimination and hopefully she can join the area meet, but because of this covid it might be cancelled all sporting events.now this year good thing we have table at home still practicing at quarantine here

Sent from my Redmi 6A using Tapatalk

Hello hello,

My situation here in US is very different compared to the Philippines. I live in a small city and when we immigrated here, there's barely any club I can go to that would fit in my schedule (since I also started working full time). Also, the clubs are so far away from each other- about 2-4 hours drive average. There was a year or so where I would go play once a week, because the club is only open on Saturdays. I tried my best to train like that, with no coach but it's much harder that I expected.

I competed and during my first tournament, I won all of my games. But I wasn't aware of the rating system then. On my second tournament, the competition was definitely harder but fortunately got 2nd place. The higher your rating goes, the harder your competition is. And the tournaments here are coed, so I play against male players most of the time.

I stopped for a while, focusing on work and having a family. I still live in the same small city, but our club got a new owner and it's been getting better since. I started playing again and now there is competition in our club so that helps me improve. We still don't have any coaches, I am probably one of the few people over there who is qualified to become a coach, which I am now (Certified Club Coach). So we just teach ourselves. Mostly through film and applying the stuff that we read or watch online. That is my situation now.

I'm just taking it one day at a time, working on getting stronger so I can play again. A lot of people here see how much I've improved and that they say that I'm underrated, but still hard to say because I haven't competed in years. Hopefully, after the pandemic, I will be able to go out there and apply the improvements I've gained all these years.

I hope your transition to table tennis is going smoothly.

Oct 2019
You could move to Bay Area, California, take some online courses at Ohlone College, and instantly be on their team to compete in the college regionals.

I know! That's crazy, right? When I first got here, I even inquired about scholarships in ping pong but they weren't offering it at all. If I was living in a bigger city, where our sport is more exposed, I think my table tennis situation would be better. But I am older now, and I have a family. I'm not as greedy as I was with winning anymore. HAHA!

Reactions: Der_Echte
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I know! That's crazy, right? When I first got here, I even inquired about scholarships in ping pong but they weren't offering it at all. If I was living in a bigger city, where our sport is more exposed, I think my table tennis situation would be better. But I am older now, and I have a family. I'm not as greedy as I was with winning anymore. HAHA!

You can say what you want, we strongly suspect you have Rambo DNA still strong in you... you care and care a lot.

Oct 2019
You can say what you want, we strongly suspect you have Rambo DNA still strong in you... you care and care a lot.

My years are over. I would like to start coaching again though, and I'm still trying hard on training just in case my kids want to start playing it. I can teach them a little bit.

This user has no status.
Here in Croatia we have pretty much the same system as in Europe, although on a smaller scale.

1.) Superliga (the best)
2.) 1. National league (divided in west, east and so on)
3.) 2. National league (that's where I play)

There's also regional leagues that have no influence to the national leagues (not that I know of)

And the regional leagues can also be divided into more leagues, mostly dependant on the number of teams.
The lower the league, the more "fun" it is. By that I mean the players play more for fun and to hang out than to earn points and win. Lowest regional League is basically just people playing and drinking. We all know each other in this middle region where I play so its always like a party at the end.

Team consist of 3 or more players and we play 10 matches.
Winning brings you 2 points, draw is 1 point for either team and losing is, of course, 0 points.
We play 2 times vs every team (home and away games).

1st team advances to the higher league, 2nd team plays with the second lowest ranked team from the higher league.

There also local tournaments for playing solo, usually we are all in the same bracket so to say (everyone can play anyone, like a senior can play vs a junior or a veteran with a kid, determined by the national rank or regional rank). At the end there's also playing in pairs, and there are also no limitations here on local tournaments (again a kid can play with a veteran and so on).

Official tournaments are basically the same as in Europe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
I wish TT were more popular here.
  • I think it's just overshadowed by other sports like basketball, football, and of course Canadians barely know any sports other than hockey.
  • Also, people seem to associate TT as a nerd sport that does not require much physical activity.
  • A lot of misconception and little awareness.