Best blade for ambitioned hobby players

I remember when I started , I was the same... I wanted advice but my "thoughts" of my game were in a mile apart in terms of reality once I started playing at a club.

Having spent the first 3 seasons ejing , there are some pieces of kit that I wish I had started out with.

There are lots of alternative options to these by the way, but in the main I would contribute all-round blade and control attack rubbers. These are some of my favourites.

Blade: all-round category : Yinhe 896 - TTequipment.co.uk, email as not listed currently :)

Rubbers: control attack category, 1.8 or 1.9 mm, softer end of the scale : Tibhar nimbus sound, Tibhar aurus sound, Joola 325.

For me, Euro style were easier to control, required less technique when starting out and was more forgiving on the shots.
Ultimately this meant I could get away with more, but as I didn't have access to a coach or time to get one anyway, this suited me.
Maybe not the best for short term development, but I play for fun being part of a team, not to win trophies.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I remember when I started , I was the same... I wanted advice but my "thoughts" of my game were in a mile apart in terms of reality once I started playing at a club.

Having spent the first 3 seasons ejing , there are some pieces of kit that I wish I had started out with.

There are lots of alternative options to these by the way, but in the main I would contribute all-round blade and control attack rubbers. These are some of my favourites.

Blade: all-round category : Yinhe 896 - TTequipment.co.uk, email as not listed currently :)

Rubbers: control attack category, 1.8 or 1.9 mm, softer end of the scale : Tibhar nimbus sound, Tibhar aurus sound, Joola 325.

For me, Euro style were easier to control, required less technique when starting out and was more forgiving on the shots.
Ultimately this meant I could get away with more, but as I didn't have access to a coach or time to get one anyway, this suited me.
Maybe not the best for short term development, but I play for fun being part of a team, not to win trophies.

This is an excellent post.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
Thanks again to all of you for the great help! Since my Tibhar racket really isn't good for anything anymore, I'll have to get a racket now without the advice of a coach who sees me play.
I know it would be the best choice to do it that way but the club in my area doesn't open again till at least August and I can't wait that long, since I play almost daily with my brother and friends so I'll have to risk it ;-)
I think I am gonna go with the Xiom Classic Offensive S, the reviews I read sound really interesting and I think it could fit my style quite good. Would you recommend a combination of the Xiom COS with the Vega Europe rubbers? From what I read the Euros give you good control and thats what I'm looking for without sacrificing too much speed :)

Cheers everybody!

Reactions: Marko
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks again to all of you for the great help! Since my Tibhar racket really isn't good for anything anymore, I'll have to get a racket now without the advice of a coach who sees me play.
I know it would be the best choice to do it that way but the club in my area doesn't open again till at least August and I can't wait that long, since I play almost daily with my brother and friends so I'll have to risk it ;-)
I think I am gonna go with the Xiom Classic Offensive S, the reviews I read sound really interesting and I think it could fit my style quite good. Would you recommend a combination of the Xiom COS with the Vega Europe rubbers? From what I read the Euros give you good control and thats what I'm looking for without sacrificing too much speed :)

Cheers everybody!

That should be a decent setup. Without seeing you play, we can't say more than the fact that that should work and be close enough to what you need. It is not too slow. It is not too fast. I can say that about both the rubbers and the blade. :)

wanted to clarify what yogi_bear meant by slow Chinese -you were talking about China made euro style rubbers? Like one of Palio Ak47, not like china style classic DHS H3 I suppose?
I have clarified that in my reply. Rubbers like Mars 2, etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
If I may throw in my 2 cent, I would not suggest the Tibhar Stratus Power Wood at all if you want control. Mine is the fastest 5 ply blade I have tried and it feels non-linear probably due to it's flex vs speed rating. I think you need a certain amount of stiffness for a fast blade to have control.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
If you really want to improve your game on long term, try some cheap AliExpress products such an allwood all-round blade with a tacky rubber on forehand - Kokutaku 868, Reactor Corbor, Yinhe Mercury 2 and a grippy rubber on backhand such as Sanwei Ultra Spin. The racket will cost you less than 30USD.

If you want to be persuaded that you will fastly improve your technique, buy a butterfly carbon blade and 2*Dignics 05/Tenergy/Tibhar MXP etc.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Opinions on blades are so subjective. If you're not able to try out other people's bats to see what 'feel' you like, I would recommend an OFF - blade (assuming you have a usual attacking style) that gives you some feeling, some speed but with lots of control. You can get blades like this from the best brands for no more than $40

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl