My way of cutting a rubber

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In spite of the angle of the camera, it is a good video.

I cut with a scissor. But that method with a good box cutter is pretty simple.

Scissor, in ways is easy as long as you get the feel of how to start the cut. Cutting with the box cutter looks easy, but the tip about the angle of the blade is important and I bet that it takes some skill to learn to get such a clean cut. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: yogi_bear
I started out using scissors, but didn't like the somewhat jagged edge, so switched to using box cutter, just as shown in the video. Recently, saw a tutorial where the person using a box cutter cuts the rubber in two passes, first pass cuts just the sponge, the next pass cuts the topsheet. It is a little extra effort, but seems to be easier cutting the rubber. The advantage is it gives a very nice perpendicular edge on the rubber. I will try it next time.

I started out using scissors, but didn't like the somewhat jagged edge, so switched to using box cutter, just as shown in the video. Recently, saw a tutorial where the person using a box cutter cuts the rubber in two passes, first pass cuts just the sponge, the next pass cuts the topsheet. It is a little extra effort, but seems to be easier cutting the rubber. The advantage is it gives a very nice perpendicular edge on the rubber. I will try it next time.
I can cut an H3 in 1 pass but it is very slow and kinda hard.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Good video, but would be even better if the part where you explain how to hold the blade was inside the camera view.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Have Ur fun Carl, but I wouldn't lick the blade sealer not one lick.

The reason Der moisten's the blade and rubber at the start of the cut is, it makes the initial cut go smoother. I have seen him do this in person. But I could not resist calling the goon squad on him. :)

says I'm working on RKN as trader. Right now I have to stay...
says I'm working on RKN as trader. Right now I have to stay...
Apr 2020
Good instructions video
I lick the rubber on side for easy cutting

Good instructions video

In the past, there was a European brand that chips off when being cut by a knife that either i had to put oil in the blade or use a shaving blade from the old generation shavers.

Good instructions video

Soapy water as a dip for the blade makes it super easy to keep the cut smooth slow.and steady. I always have found that the jagged and chipping happened when you go too fast and rip the rubber.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk
Not necessarily true on cutting speed as there are rubbers that really chip even with slow cutting.

This user has no status.
Traditional way of cutting a rubber. No chickens this time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aPYHodosJaY

Hello Yogi Bear

Your comment in the video about not relying on the point of the blade to cut the rubber in order to avoid tearing is particularly relevant. Although slightly off screen, you mention lowering the blade to 45 degrees to avoid this.

I was wondering therefore if the scalpel type blades with the curved cutting edge would be better for the job,; like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swann-Mort...3497789&sprefix=curved+scalpel,aps,147&sr=8-2

The blades and handle are relatively cheap. This would allow a more horizontal blade edge to be presented to the rubber for cutting and with the point of the blade away from the rubber. I am assuming, although I have no experience with this, that it would also be less likely to shave the blade edge accidentally with this type of blade. The only issue that I can see is that the handles are quite small and possibly not as easy to grip as a snap off utility knife.

Last edited: