My way of cutting a rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
I believe there's small layer of boost on fresh TO5, it always felt really nice to play the first couple of sessions; perhaps it has something to do with the rubber being newly glued, not sure!

I use DNA now, and have had couple of friends where the rubber really shrinks; so to be safe I always leave a bit of extra rubber. It's also nice when I reglue to have a bit of extra rubber.

Reactions: SkySowers
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Thanks Archyan. I guess that the rubber could always be trimmed a bit on the large size to start with and then given a final trim to size after it has shrunk.

Exactly!
Shrinking can also occur when the rubber is drying after glueing, so I always wait a day before I cut the rubber to make sure the "shrinking from drying has occured"

Reactions: SkySowers
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
PM me your address and a 5 minute video of blade licking action. I'll send you a few blades to play around with. Table tennis blades of course.

I could do a 5 second clip, and make it loop to 5 minutes. The way to do it safly is simple.

Lick from top of blade (dull side) downward.

Very similar technique as when you are washing a very sharp knife. One does not come from underside (sharp side) with teh wash sponge and expect to keep ones fingers attached as the sharp side might cut through wash sponge, your finger tendons, and perhaps sever off at the bone without one even realizing it.

TTD member erm recently sent me 5 blades FIVE !!! and a few friends have given me a few to test out, etc... not to mention the latest 4 blades from Nate.

I am busy enough just learning 2 of the three he sent.

Nah lasta, you can keep your blades and your fingers, they are likely precious to you. Paypal me later funds in an amount that could purchase ONE loop at the going market rate for when I am struggling in a match and cannot buy a loop.

Reactions: lasta
This user has no status.
Exactly!
Shrinking can also occur when the rubber is drying after glueing, so I always wait a day before I cut the rubber to make sure the "shrinking from drying has occured"

Hello Archyan. Have you actually seen that the rubber has shrunk after glueing to the blade and leaving it for a day or two?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hello Archyan. Have you actually seen that the rubber has shrunk after glueing to the blade and leaving it for a day or two?

I've had multiple friends where they cut the rubber immediately after glueing, and the rubber shrinking the day after. But, I have never seen the rubber shrink after you left the rubber uncut for a day after you've glued the rubber.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Basmundo, you are way, way, way, way, way, way, way overthinking this. I know I have said you are overthinking this before. Cutting rubbers is really not a big deal.

IMG_2808.jpg

I want you to glue a piece of paper onto the cap of something like a large mason jar and then cut it. Do that as a test run. Cutting rubber is only a little more complicated than that. If you wanted another test, you could glue a thin piece of cardboard onto the lid of that jar and then cut. The rubber is a little harder to cut than the paper and a little easier to cut than the cardboard.

If you are really, honestly worried about messing it up, find someone who has done this before and get them to do it for you and watch them do it. Then next time you will have seen the process in person. What ever version of cutting the rubber they choose will be a fine method for cutting the rubber.

But don't obsess about this. It is only rubber. And again, if you are worried, get a cheap blade like the Yinhe Galaxy 896 ($16.00 USD) and cheap rubber like Dawei 2008 XP or Super Power ($8.00) and do a test run. Heck get 4 sheets of cheapo rubber and do 2 test runs before you glue the Tenergy.

This user has no status.
Basmundo, you are way, way, way, way, way, way, way overthinking this. I know I have said you are overthinking this before. Cutting rubbers is really not a big deal.

View attachment 21613

I want you to glue a piece of paper onto the cap of something like a large mason jar and then cut it. Do that as a test run. Cutting rubber is only a little more complicated than that. If you wanted another test, you could glue a thin piece of cardboard onto the lid of that jar and then cut. The rubber is a little harder to cut than the paper and a little easier to cut than the cardboard.

If you are really, honestly worried about messing it up, find someone who has done this before and get them to do it for you and watch them do it. Then next time you will have seen the process in person. What ever version of cutting the rubber they choose will be a fine method for cutting the rubber.

But don't obsess about this. It is only rubber. And again, if you are worried, get a cheap blade like the Yinhe Galaxy 896 ($16.00 USD) and cheap rubber like Dawei 2008 XP or Super Power ($8.00) and do a test run. Heck get 4 sheets of cheapo rubber and do 2 test runs before you glue the Tenergy.

I know Carl but I am sorted now thanks to you and others. Thank you for your patience.:)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Will do Carl.
I am an advocate of the 6 Ps - Perfect Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance. We shall see:)

Will do Carl.
It appears that I am an advocate of the 6 Ps - Perfect Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance. Well hopefully anyway! :)

Basmundo/Bazza, it appears you have two user names. You should know that is against the rules and I will have to ban one of the users.

I will assume you did not know that before, since I don't see your posts as purposefully causing harm. But, you can't do this. So Bazza is now banned.

Is BazzaPingPong also you?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Basmundo/Bazza, it appears you have two user names. You should know that is against the rules and I will have to ban one of the users.

I will assume you did not know that before, since I don't see your posts as purposefully causing harm. But, you can't do this. So Bazza is now banned.

Is BazzaPingPong also you?

No I didn't realise that it was a problem. I forgot my login password while remote from my PC and while using my laptop. I re-registered to make contact with the forum and maintained contact on the two separate computers using the two separate identities for convenience, but not for any underhand reasons. Apologies.

BazzaPingPong is not a login that I know.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
No I didn't realise that it was a problem. I forgot my login password while remote from my PC and while using my laptop. I re-registered to make contact with the forum and maintained contact on the two separate computers using the two separate identities for convenience, but not for any underhand reasons. Apologies.

BazzaPingPong is not a login that I know.

Thanks. Good to know about BazzaPingPong being separate entity. I was pretty sure you were not trying to take over TTDaily. :) muhahahahaha (Dr Evil Laughs). :) Answered your PM with a forward to Dan to see if he can get it so you are able to log in on both computers with the Basmundo account.

Will keep you updated by PM.

Reactions: Basmundo