Xiom Hugo SAL and 36.5 Deep Impact ALX

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
just some update, I'm going on maybe 6+ hours on the blade, I found out that I must do the proper fast stroke to make the blade shine

sometimes I'm afraid it might go out and won't do a proper follow through, still getting used to the feel

I'm happy though, shows that I must correct bad habits lol

This user has no status.
I have one question regarding the balance of the 36.5 ALX- is it as well balanced as Viscaria, or more to the head like TB ALC? I'm asking because XIOM states that they lowered the average weight of the blade to around 85g, so I'm wondering whether they may have partially hollow handles, which would be an issue for me.

Reactions: JustANoob
Does anyone know if the 36.5 ALX is the FL handle the same width or smaller than the Viscaria or is it slightly larger? (mainly at the throat)

Probably bigger by half a mm but barely noticeable.

Reactions: best_intentions
I have one question regarding the balance of the 36.5 ALX- is it as well balanced as Viscaria, or more to the head like TB ALC? I'm asking because XIOM states that they lowered the average weight of the blade to around 85g, so I'm wondering whether they may have partially hollow handles, which would be an issue for me.

Depends on the rubber placed but my setup cannot be considered as really a true head heavy blade. The weight did shift towards the head but it didn't feel as head heavy compared to my other blades.

This user has no status.
Depends on the rubber placed but my setup cannot be considered as really a true head heavy blade. The weight did shift towards the head but it didn't feel as head heavy compared to my other blades.

Thank you for the answer. So to give some perspective, would the ALX be more comparable to Viscaria or TB ALC in weight distribution?

I also have one more question- I'm currently using the Innerforce ALC blade and I do realize the differences between inner/outer carbon structures as well as limba/koto outer layer. Still, how much of a step up in terms of speed and hardness would the ALX represent? I'm also a bit worried about the lack of dwell on Koto blades, but from the reviews, this issue might be partially solved in the ALX.

Thank you for the answer. So to give some perspective, would the ALX be more comparable to Viscaria or TB ALC in weight distribution?

I also have one more question- I'm currently using the Innerforce ALC blade and I do realize the differences between inner/outer carbon structures as well as limba/koto outer layer. Still, how much of a step up in terms of speed and hardness would the ALX represent? I'm also a bit worried about the lack of dwell on Koto blades, but from the reviews, this issue might be partially solved in the ALX.

Not to complicate the comparison, the alx is a softer viscaria. More flex, better feel.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
Not to complicate the comparison, the alx is a softer viscaria. More flex, better feel.
Hello Yogi! I was playing with a Viscaria, but the feeling and the low throw angle made me change to the Marcos Freitas... higher angle, safe the net ... less speed but soft touch and much more control and easier to spin. But I miss the Viscaria Speed...But if exists a Viscaria, with higher throw angle, softer(easier to spin), more control and the same speed ... it will be perfect for me ... is it the 36.5!?

Last edited:
Hello Yogi! I was playing with a Viscaria, but the feeling and the low throw angle made me change to the Marcos Freitas... higher angle, safe the net ... less speed but soft touch and much more control and easier to spin. But I miss the Viscaria Speed...But if exists a Viscaria, with higher throw angle, softer(easier to spin), more control and the same speed ... it will be perfect for me ... is it the 36.5!?

Yes, 36.5 alx is built exactly like that!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
the 36.5 is such an underrated blade , after using it for several months I really love it , my game has really improved since starting to play seriously last year

I might try to get a 2nd one if it goes on sale lol

the 36.5 is such an underrated blade , after using it for several months I really love it , my game has really improved since starting to play seriously last year

I might try to get a 2nd one if it goes on sale lol

Glad you like it. I saw your old post and you seem apprehensive about it first but then came to like it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020

Glad you like it. I saw your old post and you seem apprehensive about it first but then came to like it.

thanks for the blade recommendation, I finally think my skills and fundamental table tennis understanding have finally caught up with the blade and there is much more to learn lol

it's been a long journey but finally found a blade for life

besides it is way cheaper than a Viscaria [emoji1787]

Reactions: yogi_bear
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
What an amazing blade (36.5 ALX), weird but in good sense. Finishing is above everything I've grabbed my hands on, koto surface and handle are nice and very smooth. Too bad they've used cheap lens/logos. Mine came in 87 grams, flared handle.

This is my first impression - only one session - and is in comparison with Viscaria. Upfront it is needed to say that comparing this two, in a sense that they have similar behavior, doesn't make justice to neither, IMO. They are two different species! I will refer to Viscaria as it is a benchmark blade.

1. XIOM 36.5
FH: DHS H3 Provincial Orange 39 degrees, 2.2 mm + booster
BH: DHS Gold Arc 5, 2.1 mm
DHS 15 Glue
194 GRAMS

2. VISCARIA U code
FH: DHS H3 Provincial Orange 39 degrees, 2.2 mm + booster
BH: TIBHAR MX-S, 2.1-2.2 mm
DHS 15 Glue
192 grams

For me, the most outstanding difference between the two is speed (elasticity). I didn't expect to ALX to be so fast! According to the reviews I've read I was expecting a more captive blade, higher dwell, more oriented towards FH strokes, resembling more inner carbon structures, with a good kick provided on higher power strokes by composite layer. These respective to Viscaria.

In reality the blade provides a fast spiny kick upon contact, even at relatively low power strokes (warm-up drives). The kick is not a heavy type (Amulart/Photino) but a crispy one with very high conversion to speed, with balls landing deep on the table. Even stranger is that one can easily tame this wildness, decelerating the ball in an automatic manner. If you go slow it goes slow, if you ramp up a little it becomes really crazy. Bottom line, I cannot say it has a linear behavior. There's a certain degree of built in safety and finesse.

Viscaria, on the other hand, is rather fast/bouncy even on low power shots, but there's no sense of kick, or ramp up. Blade is captive type with high speed. This is true until 50-70% power output. From there, with good conversion, it switches to beast mode (core activation), providing heavy, fast and spiny cannon balls. There's a clear feeling of magnification. Viscaria is raw and brutal, with little sense of finesse .It can be said the behavior is rather linear.

I haven't followed power aspect with ALX, didn't feel the need to go above 60% due to high acceleration from kick. Back court loop to loop required less effort comparison with Viscaria. There's a a good feeling of unload with a certain built in safety. I'm inclined to say that it's less powerful than Viscaria. It's like comparing a lower caliber fast machine gun with something of a higher caliber. One can produce high quality balls with lower body power demands with ALX.

Control and feeling are great, for me clearly higher than Viscaria, both close and far from table. Ball can be kept really close to nets in closed type points, serve receive is great. Defense is also very good with balls landing deep on the table, good feeling on blocks due to less low frequency vibration compared to Viscaria. In terms of hardness and stiffness they are in the same ballpark, with XIOM at the lower end of spectrum. At a close look, mine at least, ALX has a thicker KOTO layer, a thinner LIMBA layer and thicker core. (VISCARIA ~5.70 mm, ALX ~5.76-5.78 mm). This, I theorize, makes the two blades different in terms of wood to composite ratios, making Viscaria harder with a more perceived stiffness. OK, this doesn't consider wood and composite densities. All in all surface hardness delimits the two (higher composite influence on Viscaria). ALX seems bouncier but, strangely, with higher capabilities of keeping balls short in closed type situations.

The "vibration free/no vibration" declarations on blades always blew me off. I always wanted to try XIOM Icecream AZX but didn't make the leap as in the past I've tried a blade that, without being very stiff, it had very little vibration (arguably due to higher density wood used for handle construction), thus making a somewhat disconnecting feel. Anyways, with ALX there's a clear feeling of vibration, but a very pleasant one, with warmer tones (low frequency) on loops (feeling of deformation) and crisper tones (highe pitch) on blocks, smashes, power shots. It's as if the blade solidifies at higher power.

I cannot say much about back-hand as it is the first time I use DHS Gold Arc 5. It is physically and technically more demanding than Tibhar MX-S. Control & feeling are great. Flicks/flips are great.

Topspin and loop capabilities are great. With my rather low power output and low efficiency, forehand topspins and loops were problematic, to the point that FH became a vulnerability, slowly loosing confidence on FH strokes. Slowly I migrated from a FH dominant to a BH dominant player. ALX provides great dwell, feeling and safety. It has a high margin of error and enables good quality shots with great consistency at lower power outputs from user.

In terms of strategy I will risk to say that ALX can shine in the hands of a fast, not very powerful player using a modern of the bounce technique near the table and mid distance, pace/rally oriented game. This is not to say that it is not good further away from table. The built in safety margin allows for development. On the other hand, Viscaria favors a more skillful and powerful player, with good footwork and well established technique, that relies on quick/short rallies.

I will get back with further impressions.

Second look.

All of the above hold.
Backhand also works great, good confidence. The Gold Arc 5 doesn't produce the ball quality of Tibhar MX-S on topspins in terms of speed and kick, but with ALX offers superb control, great brush topspins and great foundation for technique development. It is less automated, so it requires more body involvement and good form. I wouldn't say this blade favors BH or FH style. It is well balanced, offering very nice, warm crispy feeling on BH too, with high control.

In conclusion XIOM 36.5 ALX is a very well behaved speed control oriented blade providing good space for development. It's doesn't have the spices and fireworks of a Viscaria - not giving exuberance - but highly compensates with other high value ingredients. It can definitely tame a flamboyant user with improper technique, as myself. Generally speaking it allows more time (for reading spin, preparing stroke, stroke itself ). It is always a matter of compromise, there's no such thing as perfect equipment. Using Viscaria some aspects of my game improved (BH flicks, BH to BH counter topspin rallies) while other degraded (serve receive, FH, timing) or stood on a hold. Probably it is early to say, but ALX just might have higher compromise value for me.

I will get back in a month for further impressions.

Adi