Looking for Suggestions for Improving Table Tennis Table Top.

Hey guys, so I'm fortunate enough to have a Table Tennis Table at the GYM where I work. Since the COVID OUTBREAK, I've been using it more and more with my co-worker for training and match play during our lunch break. (Great player and friend btw who goes by the name Marco Makkar, he's a Silver Medalist Paralympian TT player for USA. Not bragging at all just filling you guys in for how lucky I am to have a partner who is willing to train/play with me when he can. Here's where the issue lies. The table we have is complete CRAP. Not in a sense where its unplayable, but for us players who are used to playing on Tournament Quality tables at clubs and tournaments, it's just super annoying when the rebound is not the same, there are deadspots on parts of the table and it's slightly warped. I mean I'm grateful to have the luxury to play at work and its' better than nothing, but we've been talking about replacing the table for a "better one' with at least an 18mm thick top. The other problem is that it's not feasible for Marco and I to go half on a $700 and up table just to use at work a few times a week. So I've come to the solution of looking into table tennis top converters that would normally lay ontop of a billiards table for example. And lay those halves on our current "crappy, 12mm thin table we currently have. They are much cheaper than a new table and I would be able to transport it to work easily as opposed to a "pro table" with legs and all minus assembly. Does anyone know where I can get a quality table top converter with at least 18cm thickness? And would this be a good idea or not? Or do you guys have any better suggestions aside from having to purchase a "whole new table"? Thanks in Advance.

MIKE

'

Last edited:
1b3f670b444e1f22b9322f5317ee4a24.jpg

Here is a pic of our current table at work if it helps any. Model: STIGA ADVANTAGE LITE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, so I'm fortunate enough to have a Table Tennis Table at the GYM where I work. Since the COVID OUTBREAK, I've been using it more and more with my co-worker for training and match play during our lunch break. (Great player and friend btw who goes by the name Marco Makkar, he's a Silver Medalist Paralympian TT player for USA. Not bragging at all just filling you guys in for how lucky I am to have a partner who is willing to train/play with me when he can. Here's where the issue lies. The table we have is complete CRAP. Not in a sense where its unplayable, but for us players who are used to playing on Tournament Quality tables at clubs and tournaments, it's just super annoying when the rebound is not the same, there are deadspots on parts of the table and it's slightly warped. I mean I'm grateful to have the luxury to play at work and its' better than nothing, but we've been talking about replacing the table for a "better one' with at least an 18mm thick top. The other problem is that it's not feasible for Marco and I to go half on a $700 and up table just to use at work a few times a week. So I've come to the solution of looking into table tennis top converters that would normally lay ontop of a billiards table for example. And lay those halves on our current "crappy, 12mm thin table we currently have. They are much cheaper than a new table and I would be able to transport it to work easily as opposed to a "pro table" with legs and all minus assembly. Does anyone know where I can get a quality table top converter with at least 18cm thickness? And would this be a good idea or not? Or do you guys have any better suggestions aside from having to purchase a "whole new table"? Thanks in Advance.

MIKE

'

I've actually just Lucked out and found a quality (MartinKilpatrick) brand TT converter top that according to butterfly’s website is manufactured in the same factory that makes Butterfly Tables. I've reached out to the seller and waiting for a response. If all goes well with the sale i just hop i dont run into any problems when mounting it on the current table.

Last edited:
So I will be the lucky owner of this table top as a sale has been made. Going to pick it up in the morning. My only fear (which my good training partner mentioned) is that it would be an inch too high. I guess I can remove the wheels once the table is set. Then remount then when putting the table away. Regardless, it’s still an upgrade to what we currently have. Please if anyone has any suggestions or workarounds feel free to comment.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You get a table top and now height of table and bounce is different again, it is a pain in the neck to store, remove, setup, play, store again. It will not last you 10-20 years and have great performance... you will end up needing to buy again. This is the road many Americans choose and it is killing them.

I would suggest to get a used tourney table and use it for a decade or two... you will get your money's worth. $800ish for a once used great quality table that lasts for 10-20 years is a $40 to $80 expense you are essentially splitting annually to play with a great table. That is the kind of decision making that people who succeed do.

I get it, not everyone will see it like that and I am a meenie for suggesting this, but... look at it like this too.

People spend $8,000 on a used car that lasts them maybe 5-7 years... then it breaks, is worth next to nothing and now they gotta buy it all over again

Dude, just get a once used top quality table from a tourney and call it done.

Reactions: splasher78
I would suggest to get a used tourney table and use it for a decade or two... you will get your money's worth. $800ish for a once used great quality table
I apologize for going slightly off topic from the OP. Just curious where and how to go about getting a used tourney table cheaply. Is there some websites that sort of specialized in this kind of sales? Any guidance is much appreciated.

You get a table top and now height of table and bounce is different again, it is a pain in the neck to store, remove, setup, play, store again. It will not last you 10-20 years and have great performance... you will end up needing to buy again. This is the road many Americans choose and it is killing them.

I would suggest to get a used tourney table and use it for a decade or two... you will get your money's worth. $800ish for a once used great quality table that lasts for 10-20 years is a $40 to $80 expense you are essentially splitting annually to play with a great table. That is the kind of decision making that people who succeed do.

I get it, not everyone will see it like that and I am a meenie for suggesting this, but... look at it like this too.

People spend $8,000 on a used car that lasts them maybe 5-7 years... then it breaks, is worth next to nothing and now they gotta buy it all over again

Dude, just get a once used top quality table from a tourney and call it done.

Very good advice Der_Echte thank you for your input. I totally agree with you on buying the best one can afford the first time. I’m like that with almost every big purchase I make regardless of the product. But for what it is, it’s practically new lol! And they retail for $399 and I paid $50 bucks for it. Well $25 since I’m splitting it with a coworker. I just couldn’t pass it up. Anyway I work 3 nights a week and get to play/practice maybe 2 times out of the 3 nights, 3 if I’m lucky all at 1 hour sessions. so it’s not such a pain of setting up and storing as you think. The benefits outweigh the negatives in this case for me so It’s totally worth it considering I get to play at my job! What a luxury to have for tt player imo! Again I agree with you 1,000 % regarding buying a good table the first time, and that is exactly what I’m going to do as soon as I move into a place with space for a table. Lastly, if The hospital had a dedicated room where a table would permanently stay then FOR SURE I would get the best table possible. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologize for going slightly off topic from the OP. Just curious where and how to go about getting a used tourney table cheaply. Is there some websites that sort of specialized in this kind of sales? Any guidance is much appreciated.

Not off topic at all! There are quite a few online vendors that sell used tournament tables from time to time like this vendor: https://table-tennis-tables.com/used-tournament-tables-c-61.html

I don't know how or why they acquire them but I'd definitely look into a used one for the simple fact of it being cheaper in price. My personal experience is 2 clubs that I'm a member of here in NJ one owner has Joola as a sponsor which grants him access to Joola's inventory and at times a used tournament table will be available for purchase. The other club owner is sponsored by Butterfly and when he is looking to get a new table for the club, he will let us members know if we or anyone we know are interested in buying a tournament quality table from him at a lesser price. I guess it's who you know as well. Hope this helps.

I totally agree! There is a Jazz Bar/Game Lounge on Christopher street here in NYC with Several Tables for play as well as other board games like chess tables. and there is this one BEAT TO COMPLETE SHIT Double Fish tournament table there that my friends and I love playing on. Literally almost no difference in play than sparkly new table of same quality. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Hi Goodhand,

I do not believe your question is off topic... even if it is, your question is one that represents other players since you have asked it. Also, for General Purposes, yours truly has hijacked many a thread for valid or totally invalid reasons. In my judgement, your question and my answer can help out some players.

In USA, the large 4 star tourneys do not get a sanction of 4 stars unless they total up points to a certain amount on a certain chart that tourney organizers use to submit the star rating of the tourney to the sanctioning official.

Among a lot of stuff on the checklist, a tourney director gets real high points for having THE SAME TABLE throughout the entire hall. Often, a tourney director will purchase a LOT of new tables from Joola or BTY or wherever (using the higher quantity as a pricing leverage)

Once the tourney is done, the tourney director tries to sell some or all of these tables as storing them for months and not using them doesn't get him much money.

What I suggest you do is look at the pdf file for the large 4 start tourney.

on the USATT website (and sometimes on omnipong.com, you can look for these tourneys and filter for the 4 star ones, click on the hyperlink for the tourney, which gets you the pdf file advertising the tourney (and is also the mail-in registration form).

Somewhere on that form, often near the bottom, you will see where the TD is advertising selling the tables for a discounted price, often it is a $1400+ table selling for $800 +/- $200. Even if you do not see such an offer, you will see the TD email address, so you can always email and ask him/her. The TD would let you know how you get the table. Better to be in local area and haul it away yourself, but they may be willing to ship by freight at cost.

Some common 4 star tourneys… not all but some of them

Walnut Creek Ultimate Fieldhouse
LA Open
US Nationals
US Open
Joola NA Teams
BTY Teams (one run by D. Seemiller)
Cary Cup

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Well Spasher, I still think table top conversion is an inconvenient and not optimal solution... but in any reasonable person analysis of your share of purchase at $25 USD, even if you get sick and tired of the thing after just 5 times and toss it out the window of the 13th floor (you are yelling look out below before you shove it)… even that is a favorable value, so you are not gunna hear me bad-talk it.

Even if you get sick of it and shove it out the window (backwards speak for sell it to someone else or outright give it away), it provides value to you and also others down the line. So not a terrible decision at all.

Well Spasher, I still think table top conversion is an inconvenient and not optimal solution... but in any reasonable person analysis of your share of purchase at $25 USD, even if you get sick and tired of the thing after just 5 times and toss it out the window of the 13th floor (you are yelling look out below before you shove it)… even that is a favorable value, so you are not gunna hear me bad-talk it.

Even if you get sick of it and shove it out the window (backwards speak for sell it to someone else or outright give it away), it provides value to you and also others down the line. So not a terrible decision at all.

Thanks Der_Echte, i was kinda hoping you'd bad talk it. I actually enjoy your bash talking! it's brutally honest i must say. You and my close friend who is also my table tennis 'advisor" said it's not worth it. But we just got so annoyed with the thin table! Another idea was to remove the legs and frame from the old table and screw them onto the table top converter. We'll see I guess. Will update in a few days.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Your idea about replacing the crappy table surface with your conversion table top has a LOT more merit and value, even if you sweat 10 lbs of sweat for hours while cussing so bad it would embarrass NYC vet Navy Sailors...

… the phrase "Cuss like a Sailor" must have had some true origin.

Why would it be worth all that trouble?

- You would maybe learn something new, and maybe something about yourself

- you would not have to go through the trouble (and risk) (those things heavy and eventually you gunna drop it your toes or taliwhacker) (and that would hurt and maybe leave a mark) (but you in a hospital, so you wouldn't need to go far for treatment)(and you prolly got insurance)

- that table would instantly be better performance, if given the underlying foundation and your replacement technique/equipment were sound (even then, a few, well measured and cut 2x3 studs in the right place with the right length/thickness wood deck screws can shore it up like a champ) (or even an underframe designed with 2x3 studs entirely (maybe some metal brackets too) cut the right way might be WAY more stable - just be sound and use the right equipment/technique)

- then you remove the need for the extra storage space - that is a huge plus too. Just storing it there might have risks

- letting loose with some righteous anger directed at inanimate object(s) loudly and instinctively offering it serious violence in an offensive manner in a foreign language is always positive mental health treatment with many benefits that may or may not be well documented in a peer reviewed study

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I totally agree! There is a Jazz Bar/Game Lounge on Christopher street here in NYC with Several Tables for play as well as other board games like chess tables. and there is this one BEAT TO COMPLETE SHIT Double Fish tournament table there that my friends and I love playing on. Literally almost no difference in play than sparkly new table of same quality. Thanks for the advice!

Fat Cats NYC! :)

In 1973-6 I remember they had bowling alleys. Then in 1991-2 I remember playing TT there with my sister. The layout, the name, the ownership....I am sure it was different. But that place has been part of the West Village in one way or another for quite a while. I am not sure how long it was there as a bowling Alley but I think for a good part of the 1960s is a fair guess. :)

Reactions: Der_Echte
Fat Cats NYC! :)

In 1973-6 I remember they had bowling alleys. Then in 1991-2 I remember playing TT there with my sister. The layout, the name, the ownership....I am sure it was different. But that place has been part of the West Village in one way or another for quite a while. I am not sure how long it was there as a bowling Alley but I think for a good part of the 1960s is a fair guess. :)

Yes Carl! I’ve heard the same thing about the bowling alleys too. Would have been awesome to see that. I really go there for table tennis when I can. Some good jazz bands play there quite a lot. And the beer isn’t too expensive, yet... for now, covid literally crippled everything from establishments, to immune systems and the human race! Sucks that TT clubs are closed but until then, it’s the franken-table at work and “the tables” at Bryant park (I think they’re not open yet) 33rd and Broadway table, and an outdoor table a block away from my apt in jersey city. I’m lucky enough to have access to those. Until Im physically incapable of moving or dead I’ll never stop playing.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
splasher78 said:
... and there is this one BEAT TO COMPLETE SHIT Double Fish tournament table...

Some people of my background would affectionately call such a table "Tore up from the Floor up" without getting too deep into the vulgar vernacular, (where we would be able to articulate 10,482 colorful and distinct uses for the F, S, B, D, and other assorted words in Noun, Pronoun, Verb, Adjective, Participle, Particle, Adverb in every possible form to go along with every tense and case) but to each hiz own.

Of course, Der_Echte would have zero personal experience in any of that, but someone near you, like say Carl, the Distrikt Commissioner of the Goon Squad, MIGHT know a little on the subject... or at least knew a few thousand who do, or would know who to hire to do that sort of thing profesionally.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yes Carl! I’ve heard the same thing about the bowling alleys too. Would have been awesome to see that. I really go there for table tennis when I can. Some good jazz bands play there quite a lot. And the beer isn’t too expensive, yet... for now, covid literally crippled everything from establishments, to immune systems and the human race! Sucks that TT clubs are closed but until then, it’s the franken-table at work and “the tables” at Bryant park (I think they’re not open yet) 33rd and Broadway table, and an outdoor table a block away from my apt in jersey city. I’m lucky enough to have access to those. Until Im physically incapable of moving or dead I’ll never stop playing.

How long have you been playing at Bryant Park? I used to go by there every so often. And in 2009-2010 I went there pretty regularly. But a lot of people there know me. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl just LOVED that certain dude there who wanted to SMASH EVERY DAMN BALL and get so pissed when Carl gave him low percentage chances or if Carl attacked with spin... Dude would cry a few rivers...

C'mon Carl, let's fire that one up.

Hahahaha. It is very entertaining when someone doesn't understand why heavy topspin makes their flat slaps go long. :) But I try not to pick on people who don't understand spin and think they play TT....well, at least these days I try not to pick on them..... :)