Please suggest a backhand rubber with less catapult effect than Rakza 7 soft

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Thanks for the insights. I have a question about the rubbers you mention - what about the smell? I can't use H3 because of the smell, really makes me sick. I'm testing Joola Golden Tango PS and Nittaku Factive as low catapult backhand rubbers right now, nice thing about the Friendship and Sanwei though, they are so cheap!

I’ve been looking for a low catapult but spinny rubber for BH myself. I use Hurricane on FH, but I don’t want the weight of double Hurricane. I’ve settled on Friendship Focus 3 Snipe. Linear, so soft shots are short (minimal catapult) and can generate the spin to open on BH from backspin. BH flicks are great with it too. Another option might be Sanwei Taiji Plus, which is a bit softer but still pretty linear.

Both of these are low on the tacky scale. If you want a tacky one (regardless of the added weight), Galaxy Moon Pro can generate phenonemal spin and is soft and speedy enough for BH IMO.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I've been searching for a good backhand rubber as well. Like "TryHard" I really like 729 Focus III Snipe. It comes in 42, 44 and 46 sponge hardness. The H42 is really soft. These rubbers are not tacky at all and not that spin sensitive. The durability isn't that great. You'll need to change them 2-3 times/year. But they are cheap and very light weight. Imoved on forward to Rakza 7 Soft too, but found it too heavy. The grip/spin was good though. I tride similar rubbers like Yasaka Rigan (a bit too hard), and Tibhar Aurus Sound (lighter, but not as good as R7S). Right now my backhand rubber is TSP Ventus Soft. I feel that it's better than R7S in many ways, and it's quite light weight too. If you're a beginner, Focus III Snipe H42/H44 could be good. If you have played for a while, try TSP Ventus Soft :)

Reactions: doppelganger_LT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Thanks for the insights. I have a question about the rubbers you mention - what about the smell? I can't use H3 because of the smell, really makes me sick. I'm testing Joola Golden Tango PS and Nittaku Factive as low catapult backhand rubbers right now, nice thing about the Friendship and Sanwei though, they are so cheap!
The two rubber I mentioned don't smell. They're the non-tacky type that use grip for spin. They're definitely more control than speed, so good for perfecting technique. I like this because it lets me really put force into the ball, using waist and legs for the BH as well. The soft sponges I always felt like I was trying to contain the bounce. Perhaps once I'm extremely consistent on BH I'll upgrade.
The smell of H3Neo commercial is pretty nasty. I use H3 Neo Provincial (orange sponge, I think 39*) for my FH. It is a much livelier rubber and the smell is much less and not quite as nasty. They also make blue sponge provincial Neo in various hardness. All these cost like twice the commercial stuff though. Another option is the non-Neo H3, though you would have to boost it yourself.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Thanks very much, I'll check out Focus III Snipe. It's a pity the tabletennis11 shop does nor specify which hardness they have. Where do you buy it?
At the moment I really like a new setup of Stiga Allround Classic (a blade with control over speed) with Joola Golden Tango PS 2 mm for the forehand and as zeio suggested in this thread (very surprisingly for myself) - the new Yasaka Rakza Z 2mm on the backhand. Rakza Z is such a strange rubber! It's quite hard, but feels soft, it's quite fast, but very good contol in the short game (pushes are a real pleasure), very spinny, but quite easy to receive serves, very high arc, but this allows to lift a ball with the backhand easily! I think I'll stick with this setup for a while, although both rubbers are rather heavy and makes the bat very head heavy. Actually, for me the Rakza Z feels quite similar to the Joola Golden Tango PS, so there is no drastic differences between the feeling of the backhand and forehand. I hated this feeling being so different with H3Neo on FH and Razka 7 sof on the BH. Btw, I did not like Nittaku Factive at all - feels soft and mushy, no feeling at all. Also, I liked Golden Tango PS much more than Yasaka Shining Dragon because of the same reason, Tango feels firmer, with a bit more, but not much more of the catapult effect and has a different kind of control compared to the Shining Dragon, which I found somehow too soft and mushy as well. By the way, the Rising Dragon is quite different – it’s more like a H3Neo on steroids ;) but feels too hard for me at the moment, maybe I’ll try it again in a half a year or so, when hopefully my technique will be a bit better.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
Thanks very much, I'll check out Focus III Snipe. It's a pity the tabletennis11 shop does nor specify which hardness they have. Where do you buy it?
At the moment I really like a new setup of Stiga Allround Classic (a blade with control over speed) with Joola Golden Tango PS 2 mm for the forehand and as zeio suggested in this thread (very surprisingly for myself) - the new Yasaka Rakza Z 2mm on the backhand. Rakza Z is such a strange rubber! It's quite hard, but feels soft, it's quite fast, but very good contol in the short game (pushes are a real pleasure), very spinny, but quite easy to receive serves, very high arc, but this allows to lift a ball with the backhand easily! I think I'll stick with this setup for a while, although both rubbers are rather heavy and makes the bat very head heavy. Actually, for me the Rakza Z feels quite similar to the Joola Golden Tango PS, so there is no drastic differences between the feeling of the backhand and forehand. I hated this feeling being so different with H3Neo on FH and Razka 7 sof on the BH. Btw, I did not like Nittaku Factive at all - feels soft and mushy, no feeling at all. Also, I liked Golden Tango PS much more than Yasaka Shining Dragon because of the same reason, Tango feels firmer, with a bit more, but not much more of the catapult effect and has a different kind of control compared to the Shining Dragon, which I found somehow too soft and mushy as well. By the way, the Rising Dragon is quite different – it’s more like a H3Neo on steroids ;) but feels too hard for me at the moment, maybe I’ll try it again in a half a year or so, when hopefully my technique will be a bit better.

Hi. I use to buy them on Aliexpress. Works just fine, and cheap. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1953652

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I surprise you found it heavy. Its one of the lightest rubbers I tried. Another rubbers as light as Rakza 7 Soft is Vega Europe

Yes that's a bit strange. A lot of people think that R7S is quite light weight, I had two pieces of them. I didn't react so much when I used them, but when I tried other rubbers like Tibhar Aurus Sound and TSP Ventus Soft, I felt the difference. My Rakzas were in Max, but so where the TAS and TVS as well. I haven't weighted my rubbers, but it felt much lighter after the backhand rubber was changed from Rakza 7 Soft.